Latin Titles - A Game... to bring a laugh

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:(I just thought it would be ridiculously easy for you)
That´s not the way you think. Spain and Mexico oftenly has their own rules regarding movie titles. Our market seems to be more independent: Don´t forget that every film released in Spain is spoken in Spanish.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Harry, I need your help with 3 latin titles: The End of the Game, the Dangerous Game and The Moles. I don´t find them.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Smiles and Tears (The Sound of Music) was released in Argentina as The Rebel Novice
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The Insider wasn't released as The Dilemma (here as well it was called The Informer)...
You´re right again. The movie is Quiz Show. (In Argentina was released with it´s original title)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Besides the original 33, I'll add these titles as a bonus:
- - Caught up and without any way out (An actual winner BUT from the 70's)
- - Return without glory (a nominee from the 70's)
-
The First One is One Flew Over The cuckoo´s Nest and the second one is Coming Home.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Hustler wrote:All or Nothing is the spanish title of Fargo (Fortunately in Argentina was released as Fargo)
Michael mann´s The Insider was released as The Dilemma. In Argentina it was called The Informer.

Of course Hustler, anyone...! (I just thought it would be ridiculously easy for you)

Never heard Fargo being called All or Nothing in Spain! Here it was called Fargo as well, so guess that you got it wrong... And sorry, but no, The Insider wasn't released as The Dilemma (here as well it was called The Informer)... Nice you liked this silly game!
Harry
All or Nothing was the second title that followed fargo, but you´re right the title´s movie translated in Spanish as All or Nothing was The Full Monty.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

In the past, especially in the 1940s and 1950s, non-literal translations of foreign film titles were also a "shameful", or ridiculous, habit in Finland. Although in Finland, it wasn't just about spicing up the title, but also, because Finnish is much more removed from English than what Spanish is, literal translations would have often sounded funny or pointless. But I suppose that when people started becoming more familiar with the original titles, non-literal translations started to become too confusing or even ridiculous.

Nowadays most films are released in Finland with literal translations of the title or, increasingly more often, without any translation of the title. (Checking the newspaper) I see that American Gangster, Eastern Promises, I Am Legend; Lust, Caution and There Will Be Blood are playing in Finland without any Finnish-language title. Charlie Wilson's War and Atonement are playing with literal translations of the title. A bit surprisingly (for me) No Country for Old Men has a non-literal translation, which means "Lost Country". I'm guessing that it's because the film is based on a novel, and Finnish-language title is probably taken from the novel's translated title.

I have to mention this isn't just a minor nuisance, but it's a real source of frustration, because it means that when reading the television schedule or browsing on a DVD store, I don't always recognise the films based on their title; I have sometimes missed films on television that I would have wanted to see because I didn't recognise them from the TV schedule until afterwards. This is especially the case with documentaries, because the TV schedules almost never display the original titles for documentaries.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Big Magilla wrote:Spead reading, I guess.
Not to mention the spead writing to go with it.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Hustler wrote:All or Nothing is the spanish title of Fargo (Fortunately in Argentina was released as Fargo)
Michael mann´s The Insider was released as The Dilemma. In Argentina it was called The Informer.
Of course Hustler, anyone...! (I just thought it would be ridiculously easy for you)

Never heard Fargo being called All or Nothing in Spain! Here it was called Fargo as well, so guess that you got it wrong... And sorry, but no, The Insider wasn't released as The Dilemma (here as well it was called The Informer)... Nice you liked this silly game!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Besides the original 33, I'll add these titles as a bonus:
- The Cries of Silence (a nominee from the 80's)
- Caught up and without any way out (An actual winner BUT from the 70's)
- Two weird lovers (another winner from the 70's)
- Return without glory (a nominee from the 70's)
- The War of the Galaxies (the ultimate easy one)
- Red Phone: Are we flying to Moscow? (an almost impossible one from the 60's)
- Smiles and Tears (as Magilla said, far too removed from its original, but as a hint is the winner of the following year)...

Let's see who gets more point out of the possible 40. As a side note, here Jaws was simply called Shark...
Harry, I almost know every answer. Can I be part of this quizz?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

rain Bard wrote:Magilla, I think you missed the part where HarryGoldfarb said these were all Best Picture nominees and winners, which caused your Bloody Oil misstep. Better: Impossible is possibly As Good As It Gets (which was titled "Mr. Cat Poop" in Hong Kong, I believe).

Some guesses:

- All or Nothing

Million Dollar Baby?

- Chiaroscuro

Good Night, and Good Luck?

- The Dilemma

the English Patient?

- Dream of Escape

the Shawshank Redemption?

- The End of the Game

Quiz Show?

- Executive Secretary

Working Girl?

- I will love you in silence

Children of a Lesser God?

- In Between Drinks

Sideways?

- In the Search of Destiny

Finding Neverland?

- A Love's Shadow

Fatal Attraction?

- The Moles

the Departed?

- People like us

Ordinary People?

- The Rules of Life

Scent of a Woman?

- The Strength of Affection

Terms of Endearment?

- Secret on the Mountain

Brokeback Mountain?

- Unexpected Miracles

Field of Dreams?

- Violent Times

Gangs of New York?
Rain
Chiaroscuro is the translation of Shine.
All or Nothing is the spanish title of Fargo (Fortunately in Argentina was released as Fargo)
A Love´s Shadow is Ghost.
Unexpected Miracles (That´s a hard one is The Green Mile).
In Search Of Destiny is the latin title for Good Will Hunting.
The Rules of Life is the latin title for The Cider House Rules.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:Better: Impossible - Mission: Impossible
Bloody Oil - Lorenzo's Oil
Magilla

Better Impossible is the translation of As Good as It Gets and Bloody Oil is the translation of Tehere Will be blood.

Harry: LOL
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Ah, The Killing Fields.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The Cries of Silence is also the Italian title of THAT movie - and no, it's not Missing (though it IS a political thriller based on a true story...).
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:- The War of the Galaxies (the ultimate easy one)
Annie Hall?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “General Off-Topic”