[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Italiano, we've already done Supporting Actor 1960 (Sal Mineo eliminated Peter Ustinov)...do you have an alternative category?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Honestly, Italiano, what are you going on about? Let's keep this thread on-topic. It's one of the best ones on here as I think you'll agree.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

He's very good face to face. Unsurprisingly.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Jesus, ITALIANO, what's wrong with Jack? What's he ever done to you?

I'm glad you're taking it in stride, Jack. You're a good guy.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

FilmFan720 wrote:Count me in on the confused and baffled! I like you jack.
Cheers, mate.

I really don't care what the issue is.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Count me in on the confused and baffled! I like you jack.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

jack wrote:If he is, what have I done?
Those like you don't even deserve a direct answer - I don't want to waste my time.

Just try to be less of a coward and more of a man.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I have no idea Sir Jack.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

This is my last post in this thread. As I said, from now on I will post only rarely here. I hate to leave the field to people like jack, but it seems that it's "men" like him that this board wants. Good for him.

Have I missed something here? Or is Italiano not refering to me with this comment...

If he is, what have I done?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Thanks, Flipp - and thanks for the categories you passed to me. I will still read this thread of course.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:This is my last post in this thread.
That's a shame, Italiano. I've enjoyed your posts in this thread and liked passing categories off to you. In any event, good luck.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

This is my last post in this thread. As I said, from now on I will post only rarely here. I hate to leave the field to people like jack, but it seems that it's "men" like him that this board wants. Good for him.

Anyway - for my last choice in this game...

Not easy. Mercedes Ruehl wasn't bad, and maybe even deserved her Oscar - but I wouldn't use my pass even leaving this game. All five nominees were good actually, but I wouldn't give my Oscar to any of them. I guess I'd have to choose between Diane Ladd and Jessica Tandy, and since probably Tandy won't get her Oscar for Driving Miss Daisy here, she's my pick now.

To Penelope (I think): Best Supporting Actor, 1960.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Flipp, Best Actress 1974.

So glad I got this category. A complete, no-hesitation, no-brainer for me. First off, Ellen Burstyn, as much as I love her, loses her Oscar for Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. A fine, even charming, performance in a mother-son road trip movie that no one really watches anymore. And frankly, I cheesily admit that enjoyed the TV sitcom inspired by the film much more, featuring the wonderful Linda Lavin in the title role (and singing the wonderful theme song!) and Polly Holliday as Flo (vastly superior to Diane Ladd's nominated work in the film version as the same character, as has been pointed out elsewhere on this board). Besides, I suspect someone will bequeath La Burstyn with a well-deserved Oscar for her shattering performance in Requiem for a Dream somewhere down the line.

Diahann Carroll in Claudine gives a noble performance, but it's just too dated and TV-movie-ish for me to award here (although, I wish I could just give her an Oscar for what she said in The E! True Hollywood Story for Dynasty "I was watching that show and thought, 'This show needs a black bitch'". Ha!). Faye Dunaway's precise and haunting in Chinatown and her character's revelation towards the film's end gives us one of the most memorable scenes of 1970's cinema, but I'd also award her elsewhere. Valerine Perrine as Lenny Bruce's long-suffering, ex-stripper drug-abusing love gives the kind of performance in Lenny that should be studied by today's film actress'. It is superb. As much as I love it though, I can't give it to her…

…because of Gena Rowlands. Her tour-de-force performance in A Woman Under the Influence is just beyond all description. I haven't seen it in awhile because it's such a hard film to watch, but what Rowlands does in that film is, quite simply, astounding -- it's a performance which reveals its brilliance to the viewer in small, peeled onion shavings until it has grabbed ahold of you like a dynamo, daring you to let go. The lunch scene where the husband and the workers are fed while Mabel slowly breaks down into a dithering mess is one of the most uncomfortable film scenes I've ever experienced. My best friend (who cites Rowlands' performance as her all-time favorite) and I still talk about that scene to this day. The film's whole documentary (almost home movie)-style look and rejection of all Hollywood conventions adds another layer of realism to an already courageous and unflinching performance. Truly devastating and worth checking out if you haven't already seen it.

ITALIANO: Best Supporting Actress, 1991.

Oh, and Penelope, I'm definitely still in the game.

Edited By flipp525 on 1203456124

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I'm in too
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I'm in!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”