80th Academy Awards Nominations

1998 through 2007
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I still think Holbrook could do it, but his chances are looking slim. The (frankly, to me, inexplicable) lack of support for Into the Wild against the precursor-sweeping of Bardem in the frontrunner... I think Javier very likely has it.

One of the sad facts of this year's oscars will be that Holbrook's wonderful, deeply moving performance will probably lose the year after Alan Arkin picked up a career oscar for a piece of fluff.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Someone said Ruby Dee's performance is the shortest ever nominated for an Oscar so she would break Beatrice Straight's record. At 83, she would also become the oldest winner ever.

I can see her winning if Hal Holbrook, who will turn 83 next month, wins the supporting actor award as they sometimes like the supporting winners to complement each other - John Mills and Helen Hayes in 1970 come quickly to mind. On the other hand if they give the supporting actor award to Javier Bardem as expected, they'll also likely give the supporting actress award to Blanchett or Ryan for their edgier performances.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Steph, don't forget she also, along with late hubbie Ossie Davis won the SAG lifetime achievement a few years ago and, she is arguably actually more respected in the industry than Stuart was during the Titanic era.

As for her screen time, I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive it clocked in longer than 5 minutes.

Edited By mashari on 1201079050
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

If Ruby Dee wins, would she break Beatrice Straight's record for the shortest performance to win an Oscar?

I heard her role is less than 4 and a half minutes. Straight's was 5 and a half minutes.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

mashari wrote:I realize that I may be in the minority on this one, but I seriously think Rube Dee is a quiet threat to be reckoned with in a category that's been overripe for an upset.

I think it's actually to her benefit that Cate and Amy are such strong front-runners as I can easily seeing some voters splitting the votes between them and then some voters not being able to decide b/w either and just going with Dee for the hell of it. Besides, her performance was the most widely viewed of the bunch. Just a thought...
You're not the only one. The chance to give her a career tribute (and to have her become the oldest acting winner) may prove too irresistible to voters. She could easily win the SAG award and from then on, she actually becomes the front-runner.

Also, actors rarely win Oscars as the sole nominee from a film. Both Blanchett and Ryan have this drawback whereas American Gangster at least got one other nomination. (Art Direction)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

mashari wrote:I realize that I may be in the minority on this one, but I seriously think Rube Dee is a quiet threat to be reckoned with in a category that's been overripe for an upset.

I think it's actually to her benefit that Cate and Amy are such strong front-runners as I can easily seeing some voters splitting the votes between them and then some voters not being able to decide b/w either and just going with Dee for the hell of it. Besides, her performance was the most widely viewed of the bunch. Just a thought...
I'd just put her as my predicted Best Supporting Actress before I read your post Mashari.

I agree with everything you have said and would like to add that even though Dee was terrible in American Gangaster (to be fair how could anyone deliver good work in that film) that's never stopped the Academy from awarding terrible work in the past.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

I realize that I may be in the minority on this one, but I seriously think Rube Dee is a quiet threat to be reckoned with in a category that's been overripe for an upset.

"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Hustler wrote:
Uri wrote:Count me in as one of the very few who are happy with Blanchet in the lead list. She was way too young, the movie was way too silly and so on, but technically, as a piece of acting, it was more than acceptable (not being an Australian, I'm free of the built in resentment towards her Precious Doll seems to have. I keep mine for Amos Gitai). There is no way I would have nominated her last year, for example, but this year she's due solely for the fact that there is really no one else – Angelina Jolie's exclusion was one of today's highlights for me.

And I'm mildly please for Beaufort. It was not my favorite Israeli film of the year (My Father My Lord was), but for trying so hard to be "just like a movie made in Hollywood" if not for anything else, its nomination seems like the right thing. And the irony is that The Band's Visit fiasco was probably a great booster, for the silly people on that laughable committee must have felt guilty for its disqualification, they were more attentive towards its arch rival. Anyway, it's a big deal here – the opening item on the news (no Gaza, no stock market crash –nada), a press conference with the filmmakers is due shortly and I can imagine the patriotic headlines on tomorrow's papers. And WE were not nominated for 23 years, so it's about time. And the Israeli film industry is sort of booming in recent years, so it is nice.

Congratulations for being nominated! The last israelian film I watched was Walk on water
Well, thanks. Hopefully next year it'll be my turn to congratulate you.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

OscarGuy wrote:
Damien wrote:
Kova wrote:So does this make Blanchett and Thompson the only actors to get 3 nominations in 2 consecutive years (Blanchett 2006-07; Thompson 1992-93)?

Teresa Wright was nominated for Supporting Actress (for The Little Foxes) in 1941, a year before her double nominations for Pride Of The Yankees and her winning Mrs. Miniver.

And in both previous cases, the double nominee won one of the two awards.
Not quite: Thompson won for her single nomination in 1992, but lost both of her bids in 1993.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Damien wrote:
Kova wrote:So does this make Blanchett and Thompson the only actors to get 3 nominations in 2 consecutive years (Blanchett 2006-07; Thompson 1992-93)?

Teresa Wright was nominated for Supporting Actress (for The Little Foxes) in 1941, a year before her double nominations for Pride Of The Yankees and her winning Mrs. Miniver.
And in both previous cases, the double nominee won one of the two awards.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:If you see it, you will tell me if I've been too tough on it.
Ok. Done.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Nevermind, right after i posted that other years are coming to mind in the 90's.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I may be completely off on this but it seems to me that the director nominees are the youngest i can remember, as in combined age...its around 225(averaging out the coens age). And the youngest oldest...schnabel is the oldest of the nominees at 56 and i can't remember the oldest of the nominees being that young for awhile.
Kova
Graduate

Post by Kova »

Penelope wrote:Re: Cate Blanchett

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the previous performers nominated twice in the same year are:

Fay Bainter
Teresa Wright
Barry Fitzgerald
Jessica Lange
Sigourney Weaver
Al Pacino
Holly Hunter
Emma Thompson
Julianne Moore
Jamie Foxx

Am I forgetting somebody?
So does this make Blanchett and Thompson the only actors to get 3 nominations in 2 consecutive years (Blanchett 2006-07; Thompson 1992-93)?

Return to “The 8th Decade”