80th Academy Awards Nominations

1998 through 2007
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

If you see it, you will tell me if I've been too tough on it.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:Good that the Italian movie hasn't been nominated. It just wasn't that good.
It´s going to be released here next month.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Hustler wrote:
Heksagon wrote:I'm guessing There Will Be Blood will win. I still don't see No Country for Old Men as the kind of film that the Academy will love to award.

Btw, is there any chance that Andrzej Wajda will join the list of Honorary Oscar winners to win a competetive award later on by winning the best foreign language film for Katyn?

Why not? It Happened with Spielberg.
I'm pretty sure Heks didn't mean the Hersholdt, which is not an artistic career award.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Uri wrote:Count me in as one of the very few who are happy with Blanchet in the lead list. She was way too young, the movie was way too silly and so on, but technically, as a piece of acting, it was more than acceptable (not being an Australian, I'm free of the built in resentment towards her Precious Doll seems to have. I keep mine for Amos Gitai). There is no way I would have nominated her last year, for example, but this year she's due solely for the fact that there is really no one else – Angelina Jolie's exclusion was one of today's highlights for me.

And I'm mildly please for Beaufort. It was not my favorite Israeli film of the year (My Father My Lord was), but for trying so hard to be "just like a movie made in Hollywood" if not for anything else, its nomination seems like the right thing. And the irony is that The Band's Visit fiasco was probably a great booster, for the silly people on that laughable committee must have felt guilty for its disqualification, they were more attentive towards its arch rival. Anyway, it's a big deal here – the opening item on the news (no Gaza, no stock market crash –nada), a press conference with the filmmakers is due shortly and I can imagine the patriotic headlines on tomorrow's papers. And WE were not nominated for 23 years, so it's about time. And the Israeli film industry is sort of booming in recent years, so it is nice.
Congratulations for being nominated! The last israelian film I watched was Walk on water
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Heksagon wrote:I'm guessing There Will Be Blood will win. I still don't see No Country for Old Men as the kind of film that the Academy will love to award.

Btw, is there any chance that Andrzej Wajda will join the list of Honorary Oscar winners to win a competetive award later on by winning the best foreign language film for Katyn?
Why not? It Happened with Spielberg.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Jim20 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Eric wrote:So, the message this year is keep your hotties out of our Best Actor category. McAvoy, Gosling and Hirsch all given the boot in favor of Jones.

Oh, and I'm pleased Keener was snubbed for another autopilot performance.

Typical Oscar voting practices. While a Gosling, Ledger or Norton may occasionally get nomianted, this category is traditionally the pervue of middle aged men. The "hotties" have better luck in the supporting category which is why Affleck was wise to go for that. Surprisingly, though, the best actress category which is usually heavy on "babes" opted for Blanchett and Linney over Knightley and Jolie.

I prefer Laura Linney and Cate Blanchett to the youthful emptiness of Jolie and Knightley.
I Agree
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

FilmFan720 wrote:Kazuhiro Tsuji (Makeup - Norbit; Makeup - Click)
Now there's a resume to be proud of.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

My annual round-up of the nominees returning from last year:

Cate Blanchett (Supporting Actress - I'm Not There and Actress - Elizabeth: The Golden Age; Supporting Actress - Notes on a Scandal)
John Frazier (Visual Effects - Pirates of the Caribbean and Transformers; Visual Effects - Poseidon)
Charles Gibson (Visual Effects - Pirates of the Caribbean; Visual Effects - Pirates of the Caribbean)
Hal Hickel (Visual Effects - Pirates of the Caribbean; Visual Effects - Pirates of the Caribbean)
John Knoll (Visual Effects - Pirates of the Caribbean; Visual Effects - Pirates of the Caribbean)
James Longely (Doc. Short - Sari's Mother; Doc. Feature - Iraq in Fragments)
Paul Mussey (Sound Mixing - 3:10 to Yuma; Sound Mixing - Pirates of the Caribbean)
Kevin O'Connell (Sound Mixing - Transformers; Sound Mixing - Apocalypto)
Christopher Rouse (Editing - Bourne Ultimatum; Editing - United 93)
Greg D. Russell (Sound Mixing - Transformers; Sound Mixing - Apocalypto)
Kazuhiro Tsuji (Makeup - Norbit; Makeup - Click)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

At least Falling Slowly's on the list...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I am glad that Jolie did not make the cut, but horrified at Blanchett. When is she going to make a film where she is not impersonating someone?
Really glad for Linney and There Will Be Blood, which I called quite early. Also my other touts Swinton and Wilkinson. Very glad for Polley.
Have no earthly idea why Depp was nominated for eating the scenery, and Tommy Lee Jones snuck in there when our backs were turned.
Of all the songs we were championing, three from Enchanted?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

An unusually good list of nominees - at least on paper, I haven't seen most of these movies yet.

But I'm glad for Atonement. Right after the National Board of Review, I felt that it would have been nominated for Best Picture without a corresponding Best Director nod, but then of course I started thinking that it would have been completely ignored by the Academy, at least for the "big" awards. It hasn't been so, and while an (impossible) win would be undeserved, the nomination isn't - if this is the "traditional", "old-fashioned" movie on the list, we shouldn't complain: in other years it was things like Green Mile or Chocolat. Rather, it's the young girl's nod as Best Supporting Actress which I was surprised about. It's not a memorable performance (she was the weakest of the three Brionys), and it didn't deserve to be the only acting nomination from that (generally very well actd) movie.

Very happy about Tommy Lee Jones for In the Valley of Elah. The movie is only good, but his performance is excellent - and it's the kind of unshowy acting that often gets overlooked by the Academy.

Cate Blanchett, as I expected, has been nominated for her second Elizabeth. Completely undeserved - it's a forgettable performance - but still we have seen worse crimes in this category, even in the recent past.

Is Ruby Dee's performance really the shortest ever nominated? True, she has only one "big" scene (or maybe one and a half), but she's onscreen - admittedly mostly in the background - in other moments of the movie, so I'm not so sure.

Good that the Italian movie hasn't been nominated. It just wasn't that good.

The outcome will be interesting. And while I was among those who once didn't expect No Country for Old Men to win Best Picture (before it was released, and only based on the Italian reviews at Cannes) now I can't deny that it could probably happen - its only real competition coming from There Will Be Blood, which still - with all its undeniably impressive number of nominations - couldn't push Paul Dano to a nod which I personally kind of expected. So I don't know.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1201027109
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's been 15 years since two films tied for most nominations and that point 15 years ago (1992) was between Unforgiven and Howards End. They also had nine nominations each.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Sabin wrote:4 for 'Ratatouille'. Lovely little movie. Perfectly okay with Damien and Steph being so wrong in life about this one.

Correction. 5 for Ratatouille.

Animated Feature
Original Screenplay
Sound Mixing
Sound Editing
Original Score

And also a PIXAR record, I might add.

Edited By MovieWes on 1201024406
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Guess what I was doing while the nominations were announced?

Watching 'Atonement'.

Good batch of nominees that could've been a great one. I'll take that though.

MOST PLEASANT SURPRISES (not the ones we all saw coming but feared might not happen like Affleck or 2 for Deakins)...
T.L. Jones, my pick now for Best Actor. Day-Lewis is great but Haggis' movie is really just a fairly lousy Costner-ian look at the war in Iraq that Jones elevates to something vaguely resembling a masterpiece of subtlety at times. That's not easy. Thrilled for him.

Sarah Polley.

Marco Beltrami's score for '3:10 to Yuma'. Wow. Completely stoked.

4 for 'Ratatouille'. Lovely little movie. Perfectly okay with Damien and Steph being so wrong in life about this one.

Two of the most technically proficient films of our time ('NC4OM' & 'TWBB') suitably nodded thusly, especially the sound work for 'No Country'.

An editing nomination for 'Into the Wild'...

MOST CRUSHING DISAPPOINTMENTS...

WHAT THE FUCK?!? What happened to 'Into the Wild'? Totally disappointed.

I liked 'Juno', 'Michael Clayton', and 'Atonement' for very different reasons. The latter two especially are quite adeptly assembled films that fail to really move me in the way they are supposed to and 'Juno' is a hoot or at least half a hoot. These were not indicative of this year's brilliance in film. They are simply very good films. Last year, 'The Departed' and 'Letters From Iwo Jima' were fantastic films, 'The Queen' pretty darn good, and two I didn't care for. This year is certainly a step up...

...but Jason Reitman had nothing to do with it and I FUCKING KNEW HE'D BE NOMINATED! ALL THAT HORSESHIT PRECURSOR LOVE FOR 'Diving Bell' FOOLED ME INTO THINKING OTHERWISE! GODDAMN...I WAS CALLING A REITMAN NOD MONTHS AGO!

Nothing for 'Zodiac'. Sad.

Haven't seen 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age' and probably won't, but I have to believe that the Romanian Broad was robbed.
"How's the despair?"
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Some of us may have been underestimating TWBB and NCFOM's chances for winning Best Pic as they were they only one nominated for Editing. Oh, and Kenner and Jolie were this year's Dennis Quaid no doubt.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead

Return to “The 8th Decade”