80th Academy Awards Nominations

1998 through 2007
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The Original BJ wrote:Surf's Up had to overcome Beowulf, Bee Movie, Shrek the Third, AND Meet the Robinsons, all of which to me seemed like more likely candidates than Happy Feet redux.
Surf's Up = RT 77% / MC 64
Beowulf = RT 70% / MC 59
Meet the Robinsons = RT 65% / MC 61
Shrek the Third = 43% / MC 58
Bee Movie = 53% / MC 54

Critically speaking, it's the next best thing. I saw it myself and it wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be, but it doesn't stand up to neither its contenders nor The Simpsons Movie.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

I think that's right, Penelope. Man, I am FLOORED by Jolie, Penn & Kenner's exclusions. Regarding Best Actress it's kind of surprising that with all the nominations Atonement got, Keira couldn't take out Linney. As for Best Actor, it only goes to show that if you're a respected Oscar-winning vet in a drama(Lee Jones), even if your chances are slim, you can slill knock out several of the indie newbies(Hirch, Gosling) for a slot. Magilla, was right. The more mature the better here.

Edited By mashari on 1201023719
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Here's something I called some time ago and only now realize I did. Beowulf would continue the streak of motion-capture computer-animated pictures to be ignored by the Academy's Animation Branch.
Monster House was also a motion-capture animation film and that was nominated last year. The difference between that and Beowulf (and Polar Express as well) is that it didn't try to mimic human beings. It was stylized. It may be motion-capture but it really looked animated not "realistic".
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Re: Cate Blanchett

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the previous performers nominated twice in the same year are:

Fay Bainter
Teresa Wright
Barry Fitzgerald
Jessica Lange
Sigourney Weaver
Al Pacino
Holly Hunter
Emma Thompson
Julianne Moore
Jamie Foxx

Am I forgetting somebody?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I posted below the reason why Simpsons was probably avoided. And why we could have seen Surf's Up's nomination coming.

Here's something I called some time ago and only now realize I did. Beowulf would continue the streak of motion-capture computer-animated pictures to be ignored by the Academy's Animation Branch.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Another thing that's weird about No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood leading the nominations is that they were both filmed in the same small West Texas town of Marfa (where George Steven's Giant was filmed).

Just a thought.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okay, something it took me about an hour or two to realize: Because of all the precursor business, we tend to react on nominations' morning only to the surprises -- the late-breaking news -- and sometimes miss the big picture.

The big picture is reflected in Variety's headline -- "No Country and There Will Be Blood" lead nominations. If anyone had told me two months ago -- or, good god, a year ago -- that two such auteurist efforts would dominate the Oscar nominations, I'd have suggested they teleport themselves back to the 70s, the last time such things happened as a matter of course.

I don't know if this is a one-off, or a sign of Oscar races to come, but I feel damn good about it.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

What's TOTALLY bizarre about the Surf's Up nomination is that even if they weren't going to bestow that nod on The Simpsons Movie (which they very well should have), Surf's Up had to overcome Beowulf, Bee Movie, Shrek the Third, AND Meet the Robinsons, all of which to me seemed like more likely candidates than Happy Feet redux.

I don't share Damien and Steph's views about the worth of animated films; but I do share their feelings toward the lame-brains who vote in this category.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The Surf's Up nomination, to me, wreaks of the nomination the Academy bestowed upon Shark Tale.

I mean, think about it... the year after Finding Nemo wins Best Animated Feature, they nominate Shark Tale. The year after Happy Feet wins, they nominate Surf's Up. Coincidence?
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Sonic Youth wrote:The Simpsons stopped being relevant after season 5.
I disagree. But even so, what does that have to do with the movie, which is decent? The Simpsons Movie is much better than most of the crappy American animated films made each year, including Ratatouille.

And come on, Surf's Up??
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Jim20 wrote:I believe the Coens are the third.
Or sixth, depending on how you look at it.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Jerome Robbins and Robert Wise - "West Side Story"
Best Director Winner - 1961

Then, Buck Henry and Warren Beatty for "Heaven Can Wait" in 1979.

I believe the Coens are the third.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Jerome Robbins and Robert Wise - "West Side Story"
Best Director Winner - 1961

The Coens are the second nominees.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

dreaMaker wrote:Is it first time that two people got nominated in Best Director category?
No, there's also Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins (West Side Story) and Warren Beatty and Buck Henry (Heaven Can Wait).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Is it first time that two people got nominated in Best Director category?

Return to “The 8th Decade”