Greatest Wishes, Deepest Fears - Pre-Nomination Edition

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Last Minute Greatest Wish: Tom O'Neil calls himself an Oscarologist on TV and someone calls him a complete moron.

Last Minute Greatest Fears:

1) Atonement is nominated for Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress (twice), Score, Editing, Art Direction, Cinematography and Costume to lead all films with 12 nominations. Or falls short of 12 but still leads anyway.

2) American Gangster gets in for Picture and Director

3) The Kite Runner gets a major nomination somewhere (or more than just one place)

4) There Will Be Blood is left out of Best Picture

Edited By Akash on 1201007152
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Greatest wishes: Alexandre Desplat gets a nomination for the score of Lust, Caution (hell, throw in picture, director, actress and cinematography for that remarkable film.) Cate Blanchett does receiving a well deserved supporting actress nod.

Greatest Fears: Juno for picture. Cate Blanchett receiving an actress nod for Elizabeth:The Golden Age. Knocked Up getting a screenplay nomination.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Greatest Wishes: A nomination for Ruby Dee (even though I haven't seen the movie)

No nomination for Phillip Seymour Blob

An out-of-left-field Adapted Screenplay nomination for Gone Baby Gone

The Acting Branch rewards Johnny Depp's bland, unmoving performance with the lack of a nomination

=============================

Deepest Fears: Not enough Academy members watched their screeners of The Assassination Of Jesse James all the way through, with the result being no nomination for Casey Affleck (even if it is in the wrong category).

A Best Picture nomination for the rat cartoon.

==============================

Hopeless Hope: An Adapted Screenplay nomination for The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

Edited By Damien on 1200930015
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Hope: the Oscars get deep-sixed, saving us from the spectacle of acceptance speeches on behalf of Juno, Sidney Lumet, Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Catherine Keener or Kelly MacDonald.

Fear: the Oscars get deep-sixed, preventing us from seeing acceptance speeches on behalf of No Country for Old Men, P.T. Anderson, James McAvoy, Julie Christie (I'll just trust some of yous on that one), Hal Holbrook and Amy Ryan.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Okri wrote:Deepest Fears (plausible): that Javier Bardem ends up being the only performer from No Country for Old Men nominated.
I second that -- especially since I felt his performance was the least impressive in a film full of wonderful, subtle performances. That's not a slight on Bardem mind you (he should have won the Oscar in 2000 for 'Before Night Falls') but rather an acknowledgment of the "easy" character he's given to play. Brolin, Jones, MacDonald and even Harrelson have to do more heavy lifting.

This is like last year when The Departed featured wonderful performances by DiCaprio, Damon, Baldwin, Wahlberg and yes even Nicholson and they only nominated Wahlberg (it's still amazing to me that this delightful Ensemble lost the SAG prize to Fat Kid in a Yellow Van).
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Greatest Wishes (impossible): That Cristian Mungui cracks the best director line-up; that Sunshine is recognized in the technical categories somewhere

Greatest Wishes (implausible): Casey Affleck in lead, I'm Not There in multiple categories, Sam Riley in lead

Greatest Wishes (plausible): Assassination for cinematography, Tommy Lee Jones for supporting actor, Atonement stages a comeback, Zodiac gets shut out.

---

Deepest Fears (plausible): The statement "academy award nominated film, Lars and the Real Girl", that Javier Bardem ends up being the only performer from No Country for Old Men nominated.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

VanHelsing wrote:Greatest wish: Garner for Supporting Actress.
That would be wonderful!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Wishes: Paul Dano and Michael Cera, supporting actor noms.

Fears: that the Academy voters would be so stupid as to give Helena Bonham Carter a nomination. I am resigned to the fact that Depp may get a nomination, excluding others more worthy.

Listened to the OC of Sweeney Todd the other night. "The Worst Pies in London " is Mrs. Lovett's first song, and generally, Musical Comedy/Drama composers introduce a leading character in the show with a strong song, to introduce the character , tell us WHY they are there and to set up his/her character's motivation. (Think of Eliza's first tune in My Fair Lady, for example, which sets out her dreams of being Somebody, somewhere in a cozy room of her own)

Anyone who has seen Carter sing this tune, badly, and weakly, certainly does not help *her"* Mrs. Lovett. From the moment she opens her mouth, we sense that she is almkost whining, and Mrs. Lovett as written is a powerful woman, who would need to be to survive her situation, and strong enough to lead Sweeney to a solution, and to get what she wants. One wonders what Lansbury thinks of Carter's performance.

As I said before, Sondheim must have needed the cash--

Edited By cam on 1200687650
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Greatest wish: Garner for Supporting Actress.

Deepest fears: Hoffman and Keener for anything.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Wishes: I'm Not There and 3:10 to Yuma for Best Picture and Director.

Fears: Juno recieving wide-spread nominations.

Also, not really a wish, but it would be kinda funny for washed-up Brit boyband Take That to land an Original Song nomination for their Stardust song.

Edited By jack on 1200606367
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Greatest wishes
Best Picture: The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford or Gone Baby Gone
Best Director: Andrew Dominik for The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford or Ben Affleck for Gone Baby Gone
Best Actor: Josh Brolin for No Country for Old Men
Best Supporting Actor: Ben Foster for 3:10 to Yuma
Best Supporting Actress: Kelly MacDonald for No Country for Old Men
Best Adapted Screenplay: Gone Baby Gone- Ben Affleck

Deepest fears
Best Director: Paul Haggis for In the Valley of Elah
Best Original Screenplay: In the Valley of Elah- Paul Haggis
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Greatest wishes: Best Picture: Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Best Director: Sidney Lumet
Best Actor: Josh Brolin
Best Actress: Helena Bonham Carter
Best Supporting Actor: Ahmad Khan Mahmoodzada
Best Supporting Actress: Marisa Tomei
Best Adapted Screenplay: Rescue Dawn
Best Original Screenplay: Grindhouse

Greatest Fears: Best Picture: Juno
Best Director: Ridley Scott
Best Actor: Denzel Washington
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
Best Supporting Actor: Tom Wilkinson
Best Supporting Actress: Vanessa Redgrave
Best Adapted Screenplay: 3:10 to Yuma
Best Original Screenplay: I'm Not There
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Greatest Wishes: Atonement makes a comeback with well-deserved nods for Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actor, Supporting Actress (Redgrave), Art Direction, Costume, Score, Film Editing
Surprise Best Actress nod for Ashley Judd for Bug
Surprise Best Supporting Actress nod for Charlotte Gainsbourg for I'm Not There
Best Director/Adapted Screenplay nomination for Sarah Polley
Best Actor nod for Gordon Pinsent
Best Supporting Actor nod for Philip Bosco
Best Actor nod for Philip Seymour Hoffman for Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Deepest Fears: American Gangster (other than Ruby Dee) makes an unnecessarily strong showing (Washington, Ridley Scott, etc.)
Julia Roberts nominated for Charlie Wilson's War

Edited By flipp525 on 1200584014
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Greatest wish: That Blanchett does not receive a single nomination.

Deepest fear: That Blanchett will receive two nominations.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:You have such a hard-on for him. Year after year, it seems. Crowe was absolutely forgettable in American Gangster with a subplot that seemed superfluous to the rest of the film.
I agree. Both that Criddic is infatuated with Crowe and that Crowe sucks in the already sucky American Gangster. Actually, I don't think Crowe's done anything interesting since The Insider.

And Penelope -- count me in. Bale's not just a bland actor to me, he's also a BAD actor.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”