Roger Ebert's 2006 List

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I think Richard Roeper thinks he's black. I mean thinks of himself as black. I mean thinks of himself as cool. And he's not, I mean.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

anonymous wrote:He's not black. I think his wife is though.
I know. It was a joke.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

anonymous wrote:He's not black. I think his wife is though.
You're correct; the Mr. and Mrs. Ebert were recently on the local news doing an interview; he's currently communicating with the aid of a computer and is practically unrecognizable, due to the surgery and treatment.

I can appreciate Siskel at least for the Gene Siskel Film Center, where I saw Fanny and Alexander (for the first time) a few weeks ago.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Siskel was lousy but no one - NO ONE - is as bad as Richard Roeper. He has George Bush's level of intelligence...and Criddic's taste in films.

Edited By Akash on 1196062351
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Steph2 wrote:It's like, we get it Ebert. You're black.
He's not black. I think his wife is though.

Yes, I do prefer Siskel to Roeper.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I would prefer Siskel to ROEPER!
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

It's like, we get it Ebert. You're black.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Steph2 wrote:Or any film that had anything to do with race relations, even if the film was completely wretched.
A perfect description of Crash.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Big Magilla wrote:What annoyed me most about Siskel and Ebert was that any film with a Chicago connection, be it a film made in or around the city or featuring a performer who had worked in the city, the film always got a free pass.
Or any film that had anything to do with race relations, even if the film was completely wretched.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

One can get "Dogville" and still loathe that contemptable pieces of shit.

What annoyed me most about Siskel and Ebert was that any film with a Chicago connection, be it a film made in or around the city or featuring a performer who had worked in the city, the film always got a free pass. I pretty much stopped paying attention to them after they made Ferris Bueller's Day Off sound like the second coming.

My favorite show was the one where Siskel drove Ebert nuts by proclaiming Hair to be a better film than Apocalypse Now. I agreed with Siskel on that one.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

His writing is boring and completely devoid of insight. I have no idea how he won a Pulitzer. I knew it was time to stop paying him any attention when he clearly didn't get "Dogville."
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Ebert's readable, if not often very thought-provoking. He can be witty without edging over into "look ma, I'm Anthony Lane" territory. The insight he brings to my understanding of film is minimal these days but I do enjoy peeking at his "Answer Man" columns on occasion.

His comments on Mexican cinema are no more ill-informed than practically anyone else's over the past year or so. He was just repeating a meme that's been aggravating me for a while and I decided to take this opportunity to comment on it..

Edited By rain Bard on 1195953801
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Objectively speaking, Siskel was not a film fan (as J-Ro pointed out, he lucked into a surprisingly profitable newsroom beat and rode it to infamy). Ebert is. Personally, I don't think Ebert has written too many pieces that have altered what I thought about certain films, but I'll certainly give him the edge over Siskel.

Edited By Eric on 1195927108
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I loved Siskel. His choices were at least more interesting and less mainstream than Ebert's.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Siskel was even worse. He made Ebert seem intelligent.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”