UAADB 100 Greatest Films of All Timefound

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Whenever you want to get them in. It's a rough time of the year, so I'm willing for some leeway on the deadline. I'd say by the end of the year would be preferable.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

When do you want these ballots by?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

50 only.

List documentaries if you want, but those who've submitted so far have not and I refuse to classify them as part of this list, so I won't be including a single one, not even ones like Fahrenheit 9/11 or Bowling for Columbine, both terrific productions of their year. I just don't think they should be competing against non-docus.

And if you want to list short films go ahead, but no one else has done so and I won't either because they are farther from being feature films than documentaries are.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:I wouldn't consider Anne Frank Remembered to be the same stylistically as The Diary of Anne Frank.
They both tell the same story. One through a matter-of-fact manner using interviews and archive footage. The other through actors and recreated sets/dialogue for dramatic effect.

Just like Cocteau's Le Belle et la Bete and Disney's Beauty and the Beast. One tells the story by shooting real people. The other is a series of drawings, shot individually frame by frame.

Yes, I do think documentaries should be included as long as they are released theatrically.

And I don't think an actual running time is appropriate...again, it depends on the period. Obviously in the 1910s and 20s, 10m or less would be a short, but today, 60-minutes could be considered a short film. Perhaps we should qualify feature length as anything released to the cinema. Seldom are short films released in such a way and if they are, they are either packaged with other films or part of a short film marathon.

I think we should just forego the "time limits" and just say that short films (live-action or animated) are all eligible as long as they were theatrically released. Period. Just to make things simpler.

The problem with minimum 50 and maximum any other number is that the one person who believes their 50 are the best gets a diluted result when added to someone who includes every film under the sun. And limiting it to only those receiving two mentions creates a problem with people who may have forgotten certain films, but believe they deserves to be there need to have the opportunity to say "omg! I forgot that, I'm voting that in the final poll."

To meet half-way, let's just make the maximum 150.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sonic Youth wrote:As opposed to your brand of conformity in the guise of non-conformity?

Meow? What crawled up your butt? Don't you have some lines to learn or something?

Edited By Akash on 1195453419
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Well, I submitted my 50 a few days ago before the rules got crazy. Luckily they already meet the so-called criteria.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Penelope wrote:Next thing you, Z level horror movies from Paraguay will not be permitted.

They already aren't, as none qualify under eligibility rule #3: having had a US release.

Edited By rain Bard on 1195413253
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Eric wrote:No docs. No short films. But load in as many Pixar cartoons as you want.

Have fun with your poll, guys.
I'm in agreement with Eric. Next thing you, Z level horror movies from Paraguay will not be permitted.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

No docs. No short films. But load in as many Pixar cartoons as you want.

Have fun with your poll, guys.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I just don't think Documentaries should be eligible for this list. Animation is the same as live-action storytelling except with an animated tone. I wouldn't consider Anne Frank Remembered to be the same stylistically as The Diary of Anne Frank.

If you want a separate documentary list, that's fine, but this is not a list for documentaries.

And I don't think an actual running time is appropriate...again, it depends on the period. Obviously in the 1910s and 20s, 10m or less would be a short, but today, 60-minutes could be considered a short film. Perhaps we should qualify feature length as anything released to the cinema. Seldom are short films released in such a way and if they are, they are either packaged with other films or part of a short film marathon.

The problem with minimum 50 and maximum any other number is that the one person who believes their 50 are the best gets a diluted result when added to someone who includes every film under the sun. And limiting it to only those receiving two mentions creates a problem with people who may have forgotten certain films, but believe they deserves to be there need to have the opportunity to say "omg! I forgot that, I'm voting that in the final poll."
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Akash wrote:Sonic the conformist wasn't the appellation I would have predicted for you :p
As opposed to your brand of conformity in the guise of non-conformity?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The problem with submitting just 50 films is that a lot of the the titles will overlap and we won't get to anuywhere near 400. I suggest a minimum of 50 and a a maximum of 250 for the initial submission.

As for eligibility, I agree with no. 3 but have a problem with nos. 1 and 2. I would opt for a 30 minute minimum which would allow films like Laurel & Hardy's The Music Box to be considered, but even that is stretching it. I'd be OK with documentaries that were given theatrical runs in the U.S. but not every documentary ever made otherwise we'll have to consider things like Ronald Reagan's Progress Is Our Most Important Product talk-offs for General Electric employees.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Here's my proposal:

Film eligibility:

01. Film should be at least 10 minutes in length.

02. Documentaries should be eligible. If your reasoning that documentaries shouldn't be eligible because "they operate on different rules than that of regular feature films" then animated films should also be ruled ineligible because they too operate on different rules than that of regular feature films.

03. Films should have been released theatrically in the U.S. in order to qualify. TV movies and miniseries (regardless of country of origin) will only be eligible if and only if they have had a theatrical release in the U.S.

Voting Rules:

01. There will be two rounds of voting. First round is that we all send in 50 of our favorite films alphabetically (Numerals/Symbols to Z). Movies that get two or more mentions will be placed on the ballot.

01a. Film trilogies or film series should be listed individually.

01b. Year of release must be indicated for films with more than one versions or films that share the same titles.

02. In the second round of balloting, based on the films that passed, voters should rank 100 of the films from 1 to 100. Films ranked as #1 will get 100 points, #2 99 points, #3 98 points and so on and so forth.

03. The 100 films with the highest points will be our new UAADB Top 100.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Hustler wrote:
Our natural, mediterranean tendency to drama, to the baroque, gave these thrillers a flamboyant side which made many of them - including Argento's "Profondo Rosso",

What a movie! (Deep Red in English) I´d seen it almost 30 years ago and it still remains fresh in my mind. A Quality Horror film.
Yes, it is usually considered to be the best giallo ever, and it's certainly the most famous and the best shot (back then Argento was truly a great director). But I think that the lesser known (abroad) House with the Laughing Windows is almost on the same level, and it's even more frightening.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I disagree. So if the Miniseries Angels in America had released theatrically after it was already on television, you would say it should be eligible?

It's not like there aren't two phases of voting here.
But it wasn't so it's a moot point.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”