Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Hi all. I am alright. My family's alright. Everyone I know who I've checked in with is alright.

It's an ugly scene though. I drive that bridge frequently ... not daily, but frequently (as I presume nearly everyone in the Cities does). I was actually supposed to go there for dinner at about this time, but the event got canceled this afternoon.

If there's one good thing surrounding this, it's that construction has not only reduced lanes (I believe it actually went down to a single lane in either direction as of an hour before the collapse -- there are normally eight full lanes), but people seem to have been instinctually avoiding that stretch as much as possible this summer. I know when I've gone to the U campus lately, I typically shoot over to the adjacent Cedar Ave. bridge (the one visible in all the helicopter footage).
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hope you're okay, Eric. Check in with us soon.

Edited By flipp525 on 1186021111
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Eric, I hope you're ok, let us know, soon!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Eric, check in when you can so we know you're okay.

Bridge Collapses Into Miss. River
2007-08-01 19:46:10

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A freeway bridge spanning the Mississippi River collapsed during evening rush hour Wednesday, sending many cars into the water.

Tons of concrete collapsed and there were injuries, authorities said. Survivors were being carried up the riverbank.

Some people were stranded on parts of the bridge that weren't completely submerged.

The entire span of the Interstate 35W bridge collapsed about 6:05 p.m. where the freeway crosses the river near University Avenue in Minneapolis.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “General Off-Topic”