Heroes

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Bruce_Lavigne wrote:Overall, this season leaves me feeling a bit like the last two seasons of Lost -- like I'm no longer watching a normal, top-notch TV series, that uses its genre trappings to tell universal stories, and am instead part of a small, obsessive fan club too addicted to stop watching a show that now exists only to tell its own insular, fan-clubby story. But addicted I am, so here I remain.
Oh but the Lost fan club is so much cooler. We met every week down a hatch, and trade Elizabeth Mitchell pictures. (Or Josh Holloway if you're into that kind of thing)
Bruce_Lavigne
Graduate

Post by Bruce_Lavigne »

Is anyone else a little disappointed that Nathan and Sylar are still alive? While they were two of my three favorite characters of season 1 (Hiro being the other), I thought their stories were told in full and came to thoroughly satisfying conclusions in the season finale. While I fully expected Peter's healing power to bring him back from becoming a nuclear explosion in the upper atmosphere, bringing the other two back feels like a bit of a cheat intended to keep popular characters around while still introducing what I'm sure will be far too many new ones for the show's own good in the long run.

Also, I've never liked Niki and her family (though Ali Larter's performance is quite impressive), as I find their story both uninteresting and tangential at best to the "meat" of the show, and am a bit disappointed that she and her son are once again running around the series. Hopefully there'll be more done with them this time around; Niki working for the Company seems a decent start.

Overall, this season leaves me feeling a bit like the last two seasons of Lost -- like I'm no longer watching a normal, top-notch TV series, that uses its genre trappings to tell universal stories, and am instead part of a small, obsessive fan club too addicted to stop watching a show that now exists only to tell its own insular, fan-clubby story. But addicted I am, so here I remain.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Um I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but Milo Ventimiglia. Shirtless. I don't even watch this show and I you-tubed that. Seriously, I couldn't even tell you what happened in that episode but I know that Milo Ventimiglia was shirtless.

Carry on.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Did anyone else think Nichelle Nichols looked an awful lot like a fortune teller? Maybe that's her super power.

There is a lot of blah this season and the new heroes are far more interesting than the old ones so far. Though, I'm curious about the Sylar problems.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Nikki and Sylar came back this week.

I like that Claire's boyfriend can fly. It means he can whisk her off out of harm's way in some future episode. The Claire and twins storylines are the only interesting ones so far this season.

I agree the Hiro storyline grows blander by the day. They almost had him out of feudal Japan and back to the present day, but then the cherry blossoms fell and oi vey, he has to stay for at least one more episode.

They need to get Peter back into his identity and out of Ireland. That looks like another dead end.

Still waiting for Veronica Mars, er Kristen Bell, to show up and start kicking ass.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Seriously, do we need another character who can fly? I'm referring to Claire's boyfriend.

Hiro's storyline is getting blander by the day.

They're turning Nathan into Osama bin Laden.

While Peter is turning into some LAME Superman or something.

The Latin twins storyline is certainly intriguing. How I wished the whole first two episodes are about them.

And when oh when are Nikki & my favorite hero, Sylar, gonna appear, dammit?!
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Season 2 is in full swing and with dozens of new questions abounding, I find it funny that there are so many Star Trek alums in guest appearances...

Last season it was Malcolm McDowell (Generations) and George Takei (TOS).

This season, within the first three episodes, we have Nichelle Nichols (TOS) and Dominic Keating (Enterprise).

The Trek links even go so far as to take one actor and push him into the newest film (Zachary Quinto).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Some delicious new casting:

TVguide.com

Office Lackey Joins Heroes as Claire's Superbeau

Hayden Panettiere in Heroes by Paul Drinkwater/NBC PhotoAnother of the characters Heroes is introducing in its second season has been cast. Nick D'Agosto, whose TV credits include bits on Supernatural, Without a Trace and House, but who most recently popped up as Jan's secretary administrative assistant, Hunter, in The Office's season finale, has landed the recurring role of West, a new boyfriend of Claire's and, says the Hollywood Reporter, the wielder of "a very cool superpower." What, the ability to not cheat on his prom date at the after-party? Because that'd be something.
Wesley Lovell
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

My favorite HERO is SYLAR!!!
And I'm extremely glad that he'll be in the 2nd season.

Can't wait for the spin-off "Heroes: Origins" which will feature 6 episodes whereby a new hero will be introduced in each episode. After which, the audience can vote for their favorite new hero and that hero will become a regular cast member in the 3rd season!
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Bruce_Lavigne
Graduate

Post by Bruce_Lavigne »

Love the show; have from day one. Never felt particularly inclined to comment on it here, but I wasn't aware that reaction to the finale was overwhelmingly negative. Most people I've talked to enjoyed it immensely (even if they echo the sentiment of nervousness at what the feudal-Japan cliffhanger means for next season).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The big problem with the finale is how the show played all of the characters as being a huge part of the final showdown, however, when all was said and done, only a couple of them really had any impact on it. It felt like a waste of an episode because there was so much more they could have done. In addition, the rather silly cliffhanger doesn't fit at all with the tonality of the show to date.
Wesley Lovell
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

I have just finished watching the first season and you can call me a big time fan of the show. That's entertainment at its best! Even the lesser episodes were far more interesting than 90% of what Hollywood offers the last 5-6 years. I must admit I am suprised that the series seems to have failed to make an impression among this forum.

For me ''Company Man'' and ''Five Years Gone'' are among the best television hours I ever had the pleasure to watch. Masi Oka, Jack Coleman and (surprisingly) Ali Larter are the best from the cast. Guest appearances by Christopher Eccleston and Malcolm McDowell are, as always, a pleasure to watch.

The only black spot IMHO is the whole Sylar subplot. Zachary Quinto is as bland as they come and despite all the efforts for character building Sylar is as one-dimensional as any generic villain in a summer blockbuster.

One thing I don't understand is the negative critical response towards the season finale. Of course it could have been better (everyone wanted more of the Big Fight) but it surely wasn't the unmitigated disaster that many seem to think.
Oscar Guy, perhaps you could help me with that.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow! No one else watches this? This is involving television. I'm really surprised with all of the cinematic fans out there that you haven't tuned into this show.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's another interesting show in the style of Lost. It's a sometimes-intriguing, sometimes-frustrating look at the evolution of mankind. There are a lot of similarities in powers to the X-Men but I think it could become a runaway hit. I enjoyed it despite a few weak performances.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Broadcast Media”