On the Lot

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:I was hoping for something more akin to Survivor or the Apprentice. Instead, we get American Idol/So You Think You Can Dance.

After the first week, no more challenges, just filmmaking. No behind-the-scene glimpses at filmmaking, just showing the final film and getting people to vote on it.

How dreadfully boring.

Hopefully Pirate Master tonight will be better.
Actually, I was hoping they would take their inspiration from Project Runway which concentrates more on the creative process than personal drama and qualified judges are the ones who make all the decisions.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I just flipped this on, and I saw one of the submissions entitled "Dough: a Musical." It was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

The judges loved it.

No reason to watch this anymore.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The first person to actually give good constructive criticism? Michael "F-ing" Bay
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I knew a couple people on this show, so I was excited to tune in to the first couple episodes. But I agree with OscarGuy, once the series shifted from group challenges (which I actually found pretty interesting) to merely viewing mediocre short films, it became a total bore.

The choices of judges is truly pitiful. Obviously I wouldn't expect a populist reality show to have hip auteurs as judges, but, given Spielberg's role as executive producer, would it have been too much to ask to have the king of commercial cinema make an appearance or two? Brett Ratner seems a laughable choice.

My biggest beef, however, is reserved for Garry Marshall. Why is that he must make a sexist remark to EVERY FEMALE DIRECTOR? Why were half of the women criticized for not making a film that dealt with "women's issues"? Why were the other half criticized for making bad films, but praised for being women directors, simply because Garry Marshall thinks it's so wonderful that the ladies are now leaving their skillets in the kitchen behind and playing with cameras!

Plus, I think it says a lot about contemporary film culture when the highest compliment the judges can give the filmmakers is that their works have a beginning, middle, and end.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I was hoping for something more akin to Survivor or the Apprentice. Instead, we get American Idol/So You Think You Can Dance.

After the first week, no more challenges, just filmmaking. No behind-the-scene glimpses at filmmaking, just showing the final film and getting people to vote on it.

How dreadfully boring.

Hopefully Pirate Master tonight will be better.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Much better the second night. I'm impressed with some of the filmmaking they're doing short-wise...we might just get an auteur out of this batch anyway...at leat until regular viewers start voting...
Wesley Lovell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

As someone with aspirations to become a filmmaker, I have to say that I would never ever join a contest where I have to impress Brett Ratner. I don't care if his films grossed half a billion dollars. He's a lousy director. Excuse me? Hollywood legend?

I also feel that these contestants have already sold out before they even began. This contest is not about looking for cinema's next major auteur. It's looking for the next Gore Verbinski, someone who can make movies that make money and bow to the will of the studio.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I watched it. Though how the hell Brett Ratner is a "great filmmaker" is baffling to me. Carrie Fisher is a writer, not a filmmaker, but at least they got some class with Garry Marshall.

Anyway, there are way too many puttzes being interviewed on camera. All the ones who they showed blowing their pitch were definitely going to be booted...the producers had no idea how to put an edge of suspense on it.

I don't know how it's going to be...I think it's too much to ask to create so many short films so quickly...Sure, a movie's shot relatively quickly, but you also have a lot of talented actors and an entire production crew. These guys have each other...jeez...
Wesley Lovell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Anyone watching this Steven Spielberg/Mark Burnett produced reality show on aspiring filmmakers?

Discuss here.

Return to “Broadcast Media”