2024 Governors Awards

Greg
Tenured

Re: 2024 Governors Awards

Post by Greg »

Speaking of Dolly Parton, does anyone agree with me that she can be quite funny and it is too bad that she hasn't done more comedy?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I've said before that I think Harrison Ford would be a no-brainer for an honorary. Multiple franchises covering several decades, multiple non-franchise hits over several decades, in the public consciousness for about fifty years now, has been in eight Best Picture nominees but never had the personal recognition. Glenn Close would be a good choice as well, although I know there is hope that she would get that winning role eventually. But I don't think her winning competitively would be the way to bet.

For cinematographers, I like the idea of Taj Fujimoto, who worked for decades in lots of major films with very little recognition for himself. And for directors, I would like to see Terrence Malick recognized, because he may not complete another film after the one he's working on, and he'll never win in competition. Although they may be reluctant to give the honorary to someone who would almost definitely not show for the ceremony. Would also be nice to see Jan Troell get recognized while he's still alive, but that's deeply unlikely.

Could definitely see Kevin Feige getting the Thalberg eventually. Not right now, because we as a culture are not in Marvel-positive place, but eventually. And Dolly Parton wold be a great choice for the Hersholt.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I like the idea of posthumous awards, but I don't see them doing that ever.

They do seem, however, to like to have at least one marquee name to give their awards to every year so I would say in that regard that Glenn Close and Harrison Ford have to lead the conversation again this year.

In addition to the marquee name, there will be at least one out of the blue that no one would have predicted. How about Ed Lachman or Rodrigo Prieto for that one?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Leslie Caron & Isabelle Adjani would be good choices too.

They should give one posthumous Honorary award each year to deserving actors or technicians who were never rewarded - Swanson, Burton, Irene Dunne....
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Depardieu with all the rape charges hanging over him will never get to the podium at the Academy.
anonymous1980
Laureate

2024 Governors Awards

Post by anonymous1980 »

It may be a bit too early for proper Oscar predictions but since they announce this around June/July, it isn't too early to speculate who will be this year's honorary awards recipients. In recent years, it seems they're no longer averse to giving the honorary awards to people who are young-ish and/or still active. Here are some ideas:

ACTORS
Annette Bening
Beau Bridges
Albert Brooks
Claudia Cardinale
Maggie Cheung
Glenn Close
Alain Delon
Bruce Dern
Catherine Deneuve
Gerard Depardieu
Harrison Ford