New Developments III

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: New Developments III

Post by Sabin »

Trump has spent the week endorsing Kevin McCarthy and arguing with anti-choicers online for being too extreme.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Q: What do you call doing the same thing over and over, expecting a new result?
A: A floor vote.

It's starting to get a little boring.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

There's a fan fiction version of this that has 4 or 5 Republicans voting for Jeffries to scare the Republican hold outs in vote seven, with vote 8 turning on them miscounting and giving Jeffries the win.

But fan fiction isn't reality, alas.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This is so embarrassing for them. Their only agenda is investigating the President's son's penis but they can't agree on who's gonna do it, and how, and when? Y'know, serious shit.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Republicans don't believe in government; and, by golly they're sticking to their principles!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:For the first time in a century, the U.S. House takes multiple ballots to choose its Speaker.
Or not choose, as the case may be.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Unlike the Israeli Knesset and Britain's parliament, they can't call for a new election for inability to create a governing coalition.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

McCarthy just lost his third vote.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

For the first time in a century, the U.S. House takes multiple ballots to choose its Speaker.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Launch of Trump’s 2024 campaign:

-called for the end of the constitution

-dinner out with Nazis

-released an NFT series

I would say this is going poorly but I don't know what plane of existence we live in anymore, tbh.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's going to be a mess. Most Democrats won't vote for her, but I see her siphoning the moderate Republicans or Independents that we need to win. Her stupid "Like most Americans, both parties blah blah blah" rhetoric will be appealing to them. But yeah, we're talking about a bloc of 5-15% and while Blake Masters was a dreadful candidate, he lost to Mark Kelly by 5%.
"How's the despair?"
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Considering that Sinema's favorables among Democrats were in the teens BEFORE pulling that stunt, I doubt that many of them will vote for her as an independent.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's hope she does bow out, because she will siphon more votes from bipartisan fetishists and Dems than she will from Republicans. Even if she gets 20% of the vote, 15% from Dem and 5% from Republican, that's 45-35-20 (R-D-I). Republicans aren't the bipartisan fetishists. Borderline Dem voters are. If Gallego gets the nomination, which was certain before this, and she does run, then we lose the seat plain and simple.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okri wrote
I dunno, her polling seems awful - I do wonder if she even runs at all. There are two 2024 (nee) Democratic Senators I wanted to see primaried. She was one of them. And the other is Diane Feinstein. I think they have to run someone against Sinema, though.
They do have someone to run against Sinema. Ruben Gallego. He's very popular in my home state of Arizona. He's a virtual lock for the nomination.

I do think it's entirely possible that she just doesn't go through with the election and goes straight to lobbyist-ville.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I dunno, her polling seems awful - I do wonder if she even runs at all. There are two 2024 (nee) Democratic Senators I wanted to see primaried. She was one of them. And the other is Diane Feinstein. I think they have to run someone against Sinema, though.

Return to “Current Events”