New Developments III

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: New Developments III

Post by Sabin »

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure this was going to happen. They just have a different politics there.
"How's the despair?"
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Okri wrote:So, British politics, huh.
It’s hilarious. Johnson was a clown of a prime minister.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

So, British politics, huh.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

taki15 wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote: Federal elections, not state elections. And Moore primarily deals with redistricting (although I suppose SCOTUS could change that if they went full whacko). And state legislators do not bear sole responsibility. There's still the federal government to answer to.
Maybe. But this guy is freaked out.

https://www.vox.com/23161254/supreme-co ... -january-6
"A new Supreme Court case is the biggest threat to US democracy since January 6"

And that was only 18 months ago. I remember pronouncements of potential events being the greatest threat to democracy since Pearl Harbor and the Nazis. Today, you don't have to go that far back.

Look, it's very bad. I'm not denying that. But there's still an Election Clause in the Constitution, and as long as that Clause is there - and the Supremes are not going to strike that down - the Feds have the final say. In any event, I think Jim Crow would be a State matter, not a Federal matter, and if the State Constitution forbids such legislation, then that proposal would immediately die. Moore does nothing to change that.

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm probably explaining this inartfully, but I don't think I'm inaccurate. If I am, please correct me.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Sonic Youth wrote: Federal elections, not state elections. And Moore primarily deals with redistricting (although I suppose SCOTUS could change that if they went full whacko). And state legislators do not bear sole responsibility. There's still the federal government to answer to.
Maybe. But this guy is freaked out.

https://www.vox.com/23161254/supreme-co ... -january-6
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

taki15 wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
taki15 wrote:So, if SCOTUS decides as expected then that means that a state legislature can bring back the Jim Crow laws and nobody can do anything about it.
Right?
No. Moore is only challenging the authority of the state court to enforce (I think) congressional maps.
According to a lawyer guy I read at Vox the plaintiffs argue that the constitution declares that state legislatures bear the sole responsibility when it comes to elections. Gerrymandering is only a part of it. If these people win that means that the governor and the state courts can't veto or strike down any law that pertains to elections, no matter how much it violates the state constitution.
Federal elections, not state elections. And Moore primarily deals with redistricting (although I suppose SCOTUS could change that if they went full whacko). And state legislators do not bear sole responsibility. There's still the federal government to answer to.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Sonic Youth wrote:
taki15 wrote:So, if SCOTUS decides as expected then that means that a state legislature can bring back the Jim Crow laws and nobody can do anything about it.
Right?
No. Moore is only challenging the authority of the state court to enforce (I think) congressional maps.
According to a lawyer guy I read at Vox the plaintiffs argue that the constitution declares that state legislatures bear the sole responsibility when it comes to elections. Gerrymandering is only a part of it. If these people win that means that the governor and the state courts can't veto or strike down any law that pertains to elections, no matter how much it violates the state constitution.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Right?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Unless the House and Senate can pass laws mandating voting requirements, then yes. Conceivably, the South can reinstitute Jim Crow.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

So, if SCOTUS decides as expected then that means that a state legislature can bring back the Jim Crow laws and nobody can do anything about it.
Right?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okri wrote
Moore v Harper sounds scary.
Judicial coup shit.

Yesterday, I was looking at the ages of the judges and I thought to myself that it's possible we won't have the opportunity to reclaim the court for twenty years. If this passes, that's optimistic. I think we're probably done, right? 2016 was the ballgame, unless it was actually Citizens United.

Saw a good tweet yesterday: "Truly weird to wake up in America and be like "What hath the council of six decreed today?""
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Everyone see what the Unsupreme Court is doing? They've been eviscerating almost everything the Biden administration is trying to do. It doesn't matter what they try to do outside of codify Row is going to work. Example: if they were try to open federal facilities to abortion clinic renters, it will be blocked and stayed until they can rule on it next year. At this point, nothing short of abolishing the filibuster is going to fix this crisis and that's not going to happen as long as St. Manchin and St. Sinema permit it. I think they need to be more forceful about the options on the table whether they will be blocked or not, but let's not kid ourselves that the government as it's currently split, is going to do anything about it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Moore v Harper sounds scary.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:We were born too soon.

In 200 years, if the earth is still here, a future generation of filmmakers will only be making films about this time in the U.S. as farce. It will be completely alien to the culture.
And they’ll all be made in Europe and Asia. Or really, anywhere where filmmaking is still permitted.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
We were born too soon.

In 200 years, if the earth is still here, a future generation of filmmakers will only be making films about this time in the U.S. as farce. It will be completely alien to the culture.
In 200 years, human beings will be known as "Toasties."
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Current Events”