Decision 2016

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Decision 2016

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:The only thing that gives me pause is if there is some grave WikiLeaks revelation in October. That's the only thing I can think of at this moment. No use pondering on what it could be, but if news leaked that she had six months to live, I think most voters would say "Well, that's longer than any of us will have if Trump becomes President. I vote Hillary."
If that were to happen, she'd get even more votes a) out of sympathy and b) because Tim Kaine would succeed her.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Nate Silver has Hillary Clinton winning South Carolina in the now-cast. I don't pretend to understand the now-cast and Nate Silver is certainly not having one of his best years, but there are three months to go and one poll has her winning South Carolina -- today! Before the week is over, she'll have Missouri the same poll. And there's three months to go.

The only thing that gives me pause is if there is some grave WikiLeaks revelation in October. That's the only thing I can think of at this moment. No use pondering on what it could be, but if news leaked that she had six months to live, I think most voters would say "Well, that's longer than any of us will have if Trump becomes President. I vote Hillary."
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:So I don't know if it's already too late for Mr. Trump to save his bid in spite of his late and reluctant endorsement of Paul Ryan and John McCain.
It is too late, and it would take a complete meltdown on Hillary's part to reverse the outcome of the race. I know it's not impossible, but it sure feels that way. Under ordinary circumstances, there would still be time, but the damage may be too great. I think, criddic, Republicans should leave the presidential election for dead and focus on the other races if they don't want to face complete humiliation by Election Day. Their best hope is to not let the rest of the party get dragged down - at least not too much - by this debacle.

As a Democrat, I can't deny I'm loving this, and I wish nothing less than abject failure for Donald Trump and his demagoguery. But I do feel bad for you, criddic, and for the Republicans I know who are mortified at what's going on. It's devastating enough when the candidate or party you root for loses in an ORDINARY race. This must be torture for you. I can't imagine the psychic repercussions this will have on you or on the party as a whole.

Interestingly enough, I don't think I know any Republicans who aren't embarrassed by what's going on. The only Trump supporter I know is a Democrat who loathes Hillary more than he does Trump.... although he also has a poorly concealed racist side to him.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Big Magilla wrote:
It looks more and more like Trump is deliberately sabotaging his campaign so he can claim the "system is rigged" and drop out.
This is highly unlikely, as much as many of us wish that were the case. I wouldn't be thrilled with Pence, but could live with that over Hillary Clinton. As it is now, I'm in the Gary Johnson camp. If Trump continues down this path, and the RNC does come up with a way to move forward without him, I would certainly consider the Republican ticket again.

It seems that Evan McMullin, former chief policy director for the House Republican Conference in the U.S. House of Representatives, has announced his candidacy as a protest against Trump. In addition, 50 senior Republican National Security officials signed a letter in opposition to Trump's candidacy. And I think I read something about a Florida Republican chairperson resigning in protest, as well. So I don't know if it's already too late for Mr. Trump to save his bid in spite of his late and reluctant endorsement of Paul Ryan and John McCain.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Okay, seriously. That New York Times video highlighting the insanity at the Trump rallies has left me utterly speechless.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Nope and we haven't had our October surprise, the one that Julian Assange leaks because he hates Clinton and doesn't care if the US implodes.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Holding to my rule: don't get carried away by polls in the immediate aftermath of either convention.

But...15-point lead in NH! 11-points in PA! National polls with 8-15 point leads!

Nope. Not relaxing just yet.

But it's getting tougher.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

To him, it doesn't matter that they were all Saudi Arabian in origin, one of the U.S.'s top partners in the Middle East.

Is Giuliani giving him some under-desk inspiration these days?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Donald Trump just said: “Those people that knocked down the World Trade Center, most likely, under the Trump policy, wouldn’t have been here to knock down the World Trade Center."

So, Donald Trump just said he would've prevented 9/11.

He really wants out, doesn't he?
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Here is an article that I think gives an important perspective about the majority of Sanders supporters:

"Meet the Sarah Silverman Democrats

While “Bernie or Bust” grabs headlines, the vast majority of Sanders delegates are actually okay with Clinton:"

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... 5?lo=ap_c1
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

And it turns out the purple heart was a copy, not the real thing.

It looks more and more like Trump is deliberately sabotaging his campaign so he can claim the "system is rigged" and drop out.

Apparently the Republican Party rules on nominations is that if the candidate drops out, another convention can be called (unlikely) or delegates equal to the number of delegates at the convention can name another new candidate which points to Paul Ryan, but some say this can only be done before September because of various state's rules. After that the Vice Presidential candidate (Pence) would automatically become the Presidential candidate. If that is so, it would be typical of Trump to hold on until September so his choice, rather than the RNC's, would become the party's candidate. These rules only apply to a candidate dropping out. They can't force him out.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

This rundown of Trump's last 24 hours is a real sight to behold.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Someone else suggested a new game:

Genuine Trump Headline or Onion Article Headline
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Here's a fun game to play. Stay away from the news and the internet for most of a day. Then come back and see what crazy Trump antics have happened during the course of 12 hours. You'll feel like your entire world has changed.

Were I his adviser, I'd tell him to do just one event a day. It would reduce the number of opportunities to inflict damage on himself.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Taking on crying babies and fire marshals and suggesting that sexually harassed women should just find another job if they don't like the way they're being treated was bad enough, but the worst thing he did today is just now bringing out the wrath of those in the military who still don't get his lack of fitness to be commander-in-chief.

Some idiot gave him his hard-earned purple heart to which the draft-dodger replied "I always wanted a purple heart" neglecting to add "but I didn't want to be wounded or killed to earn it".

Return to “Current Events”