[BB] Best by Best Game - The Continuation

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I'll pass for this year. I haven't seen enough movies. Glad we started the games again.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ok. I'm going to get these started again, but I recommend we give people an extra couple of days to get back to the game before passing them.

And, since I start off 1928, here are my picks. Unfortunately, the best films I'd rank are all in the prior year, so this going to be a bit skimpy.

Picture: The Passion of Joan of Arc
Director: Carl Theodore Dreyer - The Passion of Joan of Arc
Actress: Maria Falconetti - The Passion of Joan of Arc
Original Screenplay: The Passion of Joan of Arc
Editing: The Passion of Joan of Arc
Cinematography: The Passion of Joan of Arc
Art Direction: The Passion of Joan of Arc
Costume Design: The Passion of Joan of Arc
Makeup: The Passion of Joan of Arc
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I couldn´t access all these last days. What happened?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Bumpity Bump.............The Board is dying !!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Oh my God. We can actually end this within a couple months and move onto the elusive phase two! PHASE TWO EVERYONE! WE'RE ALMOST THERE!!!
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Whenever OG is upto re-starting this game the following years remain:

2010, 2009, 2008, 1986, 1968, 1964, 1946, 1928, 1927
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But the 48 hour thing won't work in the other game...that's the problem.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:With the shit storm of precursors this week and the mountain of work waiting ahead of me, I don't know when I'll be able to move the games forward to their next year. I'll try not to let it wait until after the Oscars like last time, but we may have to alter the rules to permit people more time to vote from this point forward considering that I will be rather busy and with the holidays, others may be as well.
How about this. We still go by the 48 hour turn rule, but leave the game open for an additional number of days, 2, 5, 7 so that busy players can catch up?
Good idea......yes why stall the game. Also if OG has too much on his plate maybe someone else can tabulate the results threads? OG can simply announce the new year whenever a game is over.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The tallies for 1995 have been revised.

Sense and Sensibility is still in the lead, albeit with 14 mentions now that sanity has been restored and Emma Thompson has been given her proper due! :D

It's followed by Babe with 12; Dolores Claibrone and Se7en with 10 each; Dead Man with 9; 12 Monkeys, Dead Man Walking, Rob Roy and To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar! with 8 each; La Ceremonie, Nixon, Showgirls, The Horseman on the Roof and Toy Story with 7 each; Richard III, Safe and Underground with 6 each and Nelly and Monsieur Arnaud, The Bridges of Madison County and The City of Lost Children with 5 each.

There was a total of 262 votes cast for 73 films.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Original Screenplay: To Wong Foo & Jeffrey
Jeffrey is adapted from a play.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:With the shit storm of precursors this week and the mountain of work waiting ahead of me, I don't know when I'll be able to move the games forward to their next year. I'll try not to let it wait until after the Oscars like last time, but we may have to alter the rules to permit people more time to vote from this point forward considering that I will be rather busy and with the holidays, others may be as well.
How about this. We still go by the 48 hour turn rule, but leave the game open for an additional number of days, 2, 5, 7 so that busy players can catch up?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

We are not going by strict Academy rules in this game.

"If I Had Words" from Babe is eligible in the same way that "Tirafio" from Boy on a Dolphin was eligible in 1957.

This was my response to Cinemanolis when he included it under its original Greek title:

"Ti nai auto pou to lene agapi" by Takis Morakis was not composed for the film, although the lyrics by Danai which were uncredited, were. Also, the title of the song, with lyrics, was called "Tirafio", not "Ti nai auto pou to lene agapi" so I'll include it under that title.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

With the shit storm of precursors this week and the mountain of work waiting ahead of me, I don't know when I'll be able to move the games forward to their next year. I'll try not to let it wait until after the Oscars like last time, but we may have to alter the rules to permit people more time to vote from this point forward considering that I will be rather busy and with the holidays, others may be as well.

Here are my adds to the game since I missed both my turns:

Picture: Babe & Leaving Las Vegas
Director: Chris Noonan - Babe & Mike Figgis - Leaving Las Vegas
Actor: Patrick Swayze - To Wong Foo & Richard Dreyfuss - Mr. Holland's Opus
Actress: Elisabeth Shue - Leaving Las Vegas & Emma Thompson - Sense & Sensibility
Supporting Actor: Paul Sorvino - Nixon & Patrick Stewart - Jeffrey (and unfortunately not enough room for John Leguizamo in To Wong Foo or James Cromwell in Babe)
Supporting Actress: Jennifer Elise Cox - The Brady Bunch Movie & Drew Barrymore - Boys on the Side
Ensemble: The Brady Bunch Movie & To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar
Original Screenplay: To Wong Foo & Jeffrey
Adapted Screenplay: Dolores Claiborne & The Brady Bunch Movie
Original Score: Babe & Dolores Claiborne
Original Song: "Savages" - Pocahontas & I don't know if it would be eligible for these awards since the music is based on Saint-Saens, but the original lyrics for "If I Had Words" from Babe would want to be included. If it is not eligible, I will add instead "Listen with Your Heart" from Pocahontas
Editing: Leaving Las Vegas & To Wong Foo
Cinematography: Babe & Dolores Claiborne
Art Direction: Babe & To Wong Foo
Costume Design: Babe & Dolores Claiborne
Makeup: To Wong Foo & Dolores Claiborne
Sound: Babe & Die Hard with a Vengeance
Sound Effects: Babe & Die Hard with a Vengeance
Visual Effects: Die Hard with a Vengeance & nothing
Special Mentions: Since I doubt "If I Had Words" being eligible in Original song, I will add it here as a brilliant addition of lyrics to pre-existing music that adds immeasurably to key scenes within the film Babe. & To the outstanding Opening Titles Sequence for GoldenEye, a brilliant representation of the key purpose of the new James Bond films moving it from the Cold War spy era into the modern age through the fall of Soviet Communism.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

In other words we've completed the third (1948-1957), seventh (1988-1997) and eighth decades (1998-2007), and have one year left in each of the first (two when you separate 1927 and 1928), second, fourth, fifth and sixth decades and have yet to tackle the ninth.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Hustler wrote:We also did 1947
The years that remain are:

2010, 2009, 2008, 1986, 1968, 1964, 1946, 1928, 1927

and:

1920-26
Pre-1920

Return to “Other Film Discussions”