19%
George C. Scott - The Hustler
38%

Total votes: 26

MovieFan
Graduate

Re: Best Supporting Actor 1961

Post by MovieFan »

Not a fan of the winner, but this is a really outstanding line up, both the Hustler men and Clift are all time worthy, its between Scott and Clift, but I side with Clift here within a matter of minutes creates such a tragic and haunting portrayal.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Best Supporting Actor 1961

Post by ksrymy »

Only one I haven't seen is Falk but it couldn't change my mind at all.

First off, the best supporting performance of the year actually won Best Actor and I will argue to the death Maximilian Schell is definitely supporting.

I went into The Hustler expecting to be blown away by Jackie Gleason and then I realized that his nomination was from being Jackie Gleason. It's a good enough role but it's more billiards-oriented than it is an actually developed character. I may nominate him by the end of this post but I'm not so sure at the moment.

Montgomery Clift was very good in Nuremberg but Maximilian Schell's amazing performance kind of diminishes Clift's greatness for me. It's a perfectly respectable performance though.

I've loved West Side Story since I was a child. It remains one of my all-time favorite musicals. It fully deserved every single award it won. Except for Chakiris'. Chakiris is great as Bernardo. He has a great angry face and delivers his lines with speed and wit. He's a great antagonist and is absolutely electric when he is calm.

But George C. Scott does it better. His entire role as Bert absolutely floored me. Throughout the first part of his role, I assumed him to be a throwaway character who got wrapped up in Hustler nominations. Then there's the scene where he is alone with Paul Newman and explaining how to run the tables along with the bank. He is so perfect in this role. He does what Chakiris did but with more calm and more cool than I could have imagined. He easily, EASILY gets my vote.

1. Maximilian Schell - Judgment at Nuremberg
2. George C. Scott - The Hustler
3. Montgomery Clift - Judgment at Nuremberg
4. George Chakiris - West Side Story
5. Jackie Gleason - The Hustler
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”