Field of Dreams
11%
My Left Foot
37%

Total votes: 46

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Now it's time for you to pony up your end of the deal.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'm only glad I didn't look at that while I was at work.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Eric wrote:WOW! Talk about a hottie!
Everyone reacts that way, Eric. At first I was happy about that but now, I don't know. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the power of being the cute one in a relationship.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

WOW! Talk about a hottie!
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'll PM you Eric.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Akash wrote:Actually I'm dating a cute male undergrad with leftist politics.
MySpace link?
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:I’m a big supporter of Robert Sean Leonard in Dead Poets Society. His portrayal of the obviously-gay outcast with a penchant for theater with a overly demanding military father shined through the rest of the treacly schmaltz of that film.
Oh thank goodness. At least someone else thought these boys were gay!
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I’m a big supporter of Robert Sean Leonard in Dead Poets Society. His portrayal of the obviously-gay outcast with a penchant for theater with a overly demanding military father shined through the rest of the treacly schmaltz of that film.

Edited By flipp525 on 1195485793
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

rudeboy wrote: Agreed on Crimes & Misdemeanours. A wonderful, wonderful movie, and in such a thin year it seems shameful that it wasn't nominated. Certainly precursor attention suggested it would be. One gripe I've always had... the supporting nomination for Martin Landau's superb, complex, damn perfect performance, one of the great LEADING performances of the 80s IMO.

And if Landau had been properly placed, then perhaps Alan Alda's great, hilarious and brave image-busting performance in Crimes and Misdemeanors (New York Film Critics winner) might have been nominated. Which reminds me, the Woody Allen character's short film in the movie ("If it bends it's funny . . .") belongs in the thread of funniest screen moments.

rudeboy wrote: Damn, I'd never heard of The Happy Years until just last week when I noticed half way through that TCM were running it... I shall look out for, although it will have to go some way to top my personal favourite boy's school movie, Michael Dinner's wonderful Heaven Help Us.

Oh my God, how could I have forgotten Heaven Help Us, my favorite film of 1985 -- so funny, so evocative, but even more importantly so understanding of, and compassionate to, its characters (and I love you, rudeboy, for bringing it up). It marked Michael Dinner as a Leo McCarey for the late 20th century and I always hated that we lost him to television (even if it was for the exemplary The Wonder Years, for which he won an Emmy). And he's so good with actors! The ensemble acting in Heaven is a thing of beauty, with Mary Stuart Masterson absolutely astonishing.

As I type here, I look up over my desk with there's a picture of Mary Stuart and Andrew from the film -- I guess Heaven Help Us slipped my mind in this thread because it's not set in a boarding school.

Edited By Damien on 1195477349
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Damien wrote:Crimes and Misdemeanors was the GREAT film of 1989 that was robbed of a Best Picture nomination.

The best boys boarding school movie is William Wellman's The Happy Years, with Dean Stockwell as Dink Stover. Lindsay Anderson's If . . . and Vincente Minnelli's Tea and Sympathy, too.
Agreed on Crimes & Misdemeanours. A wonderful, wonderful movie, and in such a thin year it seems shameful that it wasn't nominated. Certainly precursor attention suggested it would be. One gripe I've always had... the supporting nomination for Martin Landau's superb, complex, damn perfect performance, one of the great LEADING performances of the 80s IMO.

Damn, I'd never heard of The Happy Years until just last week when I noticed half way through that TCM were running it... I shall look out for, although it will have to go some way to top my personal favourite boy's school movie, Michael Dinner's wonderful Heaven Help Us.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

LOL. Bitch.

Actually I'm dating a cute male undergrad with leftist politics. It's made New Haven so much more bearable. Before that my "guy action" was low but I didn't have any problem finding girls.

And come on. None of you thought that watching these films? REALLY?

Edited By Akash on 1195453323
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

You're not gettin' any these days, are you Aakash.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:'Do The Right Thing' was sooo robbed, though I'm with you guys that 'Driving Miss Daisy' was a lovely choice.

'Sad Little Rich Aryans' -- LMAO! So true, Sabin. 'Dead Poets' stunk like a bag of dead turtles, and I'm sorry Damien, but Ethan didn't do anything noteworthy in it. As a matter of fact all these 'boarding school boys' movies suck balls -- 'Dead Poets', 'School Ties', 'Emperor's Club' and all the 'Harry Potter' films (except Cuaron's). As a matter of fact, they'd probably be better if the boys actually did suck balls like you know they all want to, instead of giving us the kind of cock tease shower scenes and back slapping that's supposed to pass for heterosexual camaraderie.
Crimes and Misdemeanors was the GREAT film of 1989 that was robbed of a Best Picture nomination.

Ethan's performance in Dead Poets is one of the great portrayals of shyness in film.

The best boys boarding school movie is William Wellman's The Happy Years, with Dean Stockwell as Dink Stover. Lindsay Anderson's If . . . and Vincente Minnelli's Tea and Sympathy, too.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

'Do The Right Thing' was sooo robbed, though I'm with you guys that 'Driving Miss Daisy' was a lovely choice.

'Sad Little Rich Aryans' -- LMAO! So true, Sabin. 'Dead Poets' stunk like a bag of dead turtles, and I'm sorry Damien, but Ethan didn't do anything noteworthy in it. As a matter of fact all these 'boarding school boys' movies suck balls -- 'Dead Poets', 'School Ties', 'Emperor's Club' and all the 'Harry Potter' films (except Cuaron's). As a matter of fact, they'd probably be better if the boys actually did suck balls like you know they all want to, instead of giving us the kind of cock tease shower scenes and back slapping that's supposed to pass for heterosexual camaraderie.

The film would have been better if Robin Williams had encouraged them to a circle jerk instead of whatever weird poetry reading thing they were doing out in the forest.

Edited By Akash on 1195425582
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just watched 'My Left Foot' for the first time in a while. It's probably Sheridan's strongest piece of work because it intentionally eschews stylization by keeping the camera (and us) level with Christy Brown the entire time. Whereas 'In the Name of the Father' and 'In America' are incredibly emotional experiences in their own right, 'My Left Foot' is the more unexpected treat: the emotional roller coaster biopic with equal footing in vinegarish heartbreak and wit.

I rather love 'Driving Miss Daisy' though as a chamber piece and find it quite underrated a Best Picture winner, preferring it to most every Oscar winner of the 80's. Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy are quite exceptional.

I haven't seen 'Born on the Fourth of July' and 'Field of Dreams' in quite some time but I recall being rather unimpressed for whatever reason. I think 'Dead Poets Society' is one of the most overrated movies of all time. The casting director should be shot in the head. The film should be called 'Sad Little Rich Aryans'. Were Robin Williams delegated to Supporting (where he belongs), he would probably have won.

Still rather amazing that neither 'When Harry Met Sally...' or 'Do the Right Thing' weren't nominated.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”