61%
Titanic
30%

Total votes: 54

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Titanic.

LA Confidential is good but overrated, and honestly I could list five deserving nominees on Oscar's radar this year without including it (let's see -- The Ice Storm, Eve's Bayou, Gattaca, The Sweet Hereafter, oh and I guess I'd keep Titanic). The Full Monty is sweet but had no business being nominated for Best picture.

Good Will Hunting is well directed, and has nice performances from Damon and Driver, but is crippled by its plot contrivances, sometimes pretentious dialogue, and EVERYTHING about Robin Williams. It would have been better if Damon and Affleck had allowed Will's transformation to come about more organically through his interaction with Driver (which was far sweeter than any of his scenes with Williams).

As Good As It Gets is god awful.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I must admit that I'm pleased to see Titanic did so well in this poll (especially among such a critical crowd). I think it's a grand cornball epic that never fails to choke me up or wow me with the power of its pure cinema. (And, like many of you, it was an instrumental film in exciting my passion for movies.)

Still, I'd vote L.A. Confidential all the way. What a marvelously plotted, cheerfully cynical crime flick. A near-perfect screenplay, fantastic photography, and fine performances all-around.

As Good As It Gets and Good Will Hunting are both decently-scripted, solidly-acted efforts that I enjoy but can't get incredibly excited about.

How the completely inconsequential The Full Monty scored a nomination over far more ambitious fare like The Sweet Hereafter, Boogie Nights, and The Ice Storm I will never understand.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Gonna back up dws's claims of Titanic making him a film buff: I can concur that was my case as well, having seen the movie four times in theatres. I quite enjoyed Good Will Hunting at the time, though I haven't seen it since. Add my voice to those who are distressed The Ice Storm wasn't recognized wider. Yup, it's dark, but exquisitely made.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Yeah but it was one of the best films of the year and should have scored at least one acting nod and a screenplay mention. Not to forget cinematography. 7 nominations from Criddic, no wins.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Come on...if they can't recognize the not-very-dark Dead Man Walking and the dark Leaving Las Vegas, The Ice Storm won't be to their liking. I liked it quite a lot but it's depressing as hell and that's not something the Academy likes very much (Requiem for a Dream and Dancer in the Dark are good examples as well)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

paperboy wrote:Of the nominees L.A. Confidential, but my favourite film of '97 was the shamefully snubbed The Ice Storm.

Absolutely. I'll never forgive the Academy for that one.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Of the nominees L.A. Confidential, but my favourite film of '97 was the shamefully snubbed The Ice Storm.
kooyah
Graduate

Post by kooyah »

Honestly, I thought they were all garbage. The Full Monty a little less so than the rest.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Full Monty -- it's a lovely film.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

VanHelsing wrote:Confidential. Will this be the ONLY film Basinger wins an Oscar?
If Basinger can find a piece that works to her advantage she could surprise everyone again. But she has admitted several times that she is simply terrible at choosing scripts. She nearly passed on this one, but was advised by friends to do it. Proving she could really act in a well-written script, she was lucky. Taking a look at her career since then shows how true her own assessment is. She has some talent, but no eye for a good role.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'L.A. Confidential'.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

L. A. Confidential, although my awards split with best director James Cameron for Titanic.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

L.A. Confidential
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

L.A. Confidential
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Confidential. Will this be the ONLY film Basinger wins an Oscar?
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”