Talia Shire's Oscar Nod for "Godfather Part II"

1927/28 through 1997
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

By the way, according to imdb, today is Talia's 61st birthday.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Penelope wrote:By the way, y'all know that's Talia Shire as the psychiatrist in the Geico caveman ads, right?
My favorite is the one that ends:

"What's your name? He's not saying anything, 'cause he's a doll."
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

She also had a great cameo with her son in I Heart Huckabees.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:By the way, y'all know that's Talia Shire as the psychiatrist in the Geico caveman ads, right?
Really? I go running from the room whenever those things show up but I had no idea.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

By the way, y'all know that's Talia Shire as the psychiatrist in the Geico caveman ads, right?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I think her best Godfather performance was in 3 but her best performance ever was in Gordon Willis' much hated Windows.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Damien wrote:That John Cazale's brilliant work in Godfather 2 was ignored, while the negligible performances of Gazzo, Strasberg and DeNiro were nominated is one of the great travesties of Oscar history.

Talia Shire was one of those carried-along-for-the-ride nominations, a competent performance that happens to be in a extremely popular film, like Minnie Driver in Good Will Hunter. On the other hand, Shire deserved to be nominated for her career-best work in Godfather 3, so it all balances out.

De Niro is fantastic in Godfather II, but I agree that Shire was good in the other films.

I actually think that, were it not for Sophia Coppola, III would be an outstanding film. I'm not alone in that, but I am amazed it got a Best Picture nomination in 1990 with such an awful major performance at its center.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

That John Cazale's brilliant work in Godfather 2 was ignored, while the negligible performances of Gazzo, Strasberg and DeNiro were nominated is one of the great travesties of Oscar history.

Talia Shire was one of those carried-along-for-the-ride nominations, a competent performance that happens to be in a extremely popular film, like Minnie Driver in Good Will Hunter. On the other hand, Shire deserved to be nominated for her career-best work in Godfather 3, so it all balances out.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Shire nomination always puzzled me, Gazzo less so. I think the only reason Shire was nominated was out of misplaced sympathy for her being overlooked for the original.

Gazzo, who prior to Godfather II was beter known as the author of A Hatful of Rain than as an actor, was the big surprise of the film. No one expected much from Richard Castellano's last minute replacement. Was it an award worthy performance? Perhaps not, but it was certainly better than a lot of other mediocre work that has gotten Oscar nominated over the years.

Strasberg, on the other hand, was an authoritative figure in the world of method acting. He dominated his scenes.
1974 was a rich year for supporting performances.

Others that might have been nominated for supporting actress include Ellen Burstyn and Geraldine Fitzgerald in Harry & Tonto, Louise Fletcher in Thieves Like Us, Jennifer Jones in The Towering Inferno, Beatrice Arthur in Mame and Lauren Bacall, Wendy Hiller and Rachel Roberts in Murder on the Orient Express. Bibi Andersson's acclaimed performance in Scenes From a Marriage was ineligble as was Liv Ullmann's lead performance and the film itself due to the film having been shown on Swedish TV the year before, an assinine rule that was later dropped to allow multiple nominations for Bergman's Fanny & Alexander on Swedish TV in 1982, in theatres in 1983.

Among supporting actors, Holger Lowenadler in Lacombe, Lucien, John Huston in Chinatown and John Gielgud in Murder on the Orient Express come to mind. Charles Boyer, who won the New York Film Critics' Award for Stavisky, was ineligible as the film was not released in L.A. until the following year.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1177430792
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Keaton had a far meatier role and deserved a nomination over Shire. I'm not sure why she was nominated - maybe to throw one more of the Coppola clan in to that year's running?

That said, it seems to me equally odd that they nominated Michael V Gazzo - I haven't seen the film in years but what exactly did he do? - or Lee Strasberg, who I thought, frankly, was just awful in the film.

Along with De Niro, I've always believed John Cazale was the cast member most deserving of recognition.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I have a question:

I rewatched The Godfather Part II yesterday. I still think it's a fitting companion to the first Godfather but one thing I don't understand is how did Talia Shire got an Oscar nomination for this one.

All her money scenes are in the first one. Diane Keaton was better. Talia Shire was barely in Part II and had only one really good scene (the part where she pleads to Michael to forgive Fredo) but I didn't think it was outstanding enough to merit an Oscar nomination.

Was the slate sparse that year? Was there leftover love/confusion for her performance in Part I? Did they think she was Diane Keaton?

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”