Best Oscar Show Musical Numbers

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Reza wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:- "Ave Satani", how did they do this?
- "Live and let die", was Paul the one who performed at he ceremony?

The theme song from The Omen was performed by Lee Vivante while Connie Stevens sang the Bond tune.

Who is Lee Vivante? I can't find anything about him/her
I got this info from Damien's ''ole reliable''. I think he should be able to answer your question in more detail.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

FilmFan720 wrote:[I am working on a production of Scrooge right now, and every time they sing "Thank You Very Much" (which happens several times in the stage show), all I can hear is Montalban going "Mucho Buenos Gracias, Mucho Buenos Gracias..."
LOL :laugh:
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Cinemanolis wrote:One of my favorites is from the 1970 Oscars when Burt Lancaster, Petula Clark, Sally Kellerman and Ricardo Montalban sang the nominated song from Scrooge 'Thank You Very Much'. Besides the fact that it is rare to witness Burt Lancaster singing, the real treat was the too-obviously stoned Sally Kellerman, who was hilarious to look at.
I was just talking about this the other day. I am working on a production of Scrooge right now, and every time they sing "Thank You Very Much" (which happens several times in the stage show), all I can hear is Montalban going "Mucho Buenos Gracias, Mucho Buenos Gracias..."
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Reza wrote:

The theme song from The Omen was performed by Lee Vivante while Connie Stevens sang the Bond tune.
Who is Lee Vivante? I can't find anything about him/her
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Both moments are on the 1992 docu "Oscar's Greatest Moments". Don't know the song Cannon was singing either but Kellerman's face was hysterical. Man, as a 13 year old boy I got so curious about her facial expressions... A few years later, it all made sense :D
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

One of my favorites is from the 1970 Oscars when Burt Lancaster, Petula Clark, Sally Kellerman and Ricardo Montalban sang the nominated song from Scrooge 'Thank You Very Much'. Besides the fact that it is rare to witness Burt Lancaster singing, the real treat was the too-obviously stoned Sally Kellerman, who was hilarious to look at.

Also i had a lot of laughs watching Dyan Cannon (i think) starting to sing a nominated song (don't rememeber which), but since her microphone was switched off, the audience could not hear a thing and they were just watching her mouth move.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1227704772
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

paperboy wrote:Funny, the way I remember it Madonna was visibly nervous and sang flat.

Guess she was... but nervous and memorable aren't excludent to the other. Indeed, even with her trembling voice and shaking hands, she let us an iconic image. Not one of her best vocal performances but one of the best (or at least one of the most memorables) musical numbers in Oscar shows.

By the way, wasn't she also nervous when singing You Must Loved Me?

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1227701474
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Funny, the way I remember it Madonna was visibly nervous and sang flat.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

anonymous wrote:01. "Sooner or Later (I Always Get My Man)" - Madonna
Truly, one of her best performances. I love this moment.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Thank you both...

Not from the ceremony but we actually can hear The New Christy Minstrels (WITH Julie Andrews) singing Chim chim cher-ee. Don't know where this was...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kYn4jRnYDU

By the way, what about Ave Satani, it's such a disturbing piece of music (song?) that I can't imagine how did the show producers manage to present it. Was it performed at all?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Defnitely the worst thing I've seen as a number was this year tragic take on "Happy Working Song", a song that I actually like. Hideous staging... Oh, sorry there was no staging. It was like "hey girl, go out and sing that song, quikly, we have this gap in here and we need to fill it with something so go out and try not to look nervous"
I read somewhere (and I suspect it to be true) that they were going to have CGI rats and cockroaches on stage but due to the writer's strike and the time crunch, they didn't have the time to perfect it resulting in Amy Adams singing plainly on a bare stage.

Oh, and I've noticed in Oscar shows in the past, they often didn't have the original artists perform the nominated songs like for instance, Aretha Franklin performing an entirely new version of "Nobody Does It Better" or somebody other than Kenny Loggins performing "Footloose". Was it intentional or were there reasons?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:"Chim chim cher-ee", who performed this? was this a big production number or something?
It was performed by the folk singing group, The New Christy Minstrels.

That same evening, Andy Williams performed "Dear Heart", Nancy Wilson, "My Kind of Town", Patti Page, "Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte" and Jack Jones, "Where Love Has Gone", the other nominated songs.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I've liked a lot when they placed all the nominated songs together, despite the fact that sometimes the songs are being chopped up. So 1999 and 2001 gets my vote (there's a plus cause I didn't have to hear/watch Music of my Heart completely).

"I've seen it all" has to be one of the moments I've expected more in my life while watching these ceremonies. I overenjoyed it and thought the "infamous dress scandal" was stupid and boring; Björk didn't dressed up to please anybody and it was quite conservative for her... Joan Rivers critizicing her was simply dull and way too obvious.

"Plain and Simple" is a thing that always work: Elliott Smith haunting performance of "Miss Misery", Dylan close up as he sang "Things have Changed", Neil Yong's aching "Philadelphia" (he was like really suffering bended over that piano), Janet Jackson surrounded by candles and with a piano as a background in 1993 singing like heaven her song "Again"and Aimee Mann with those pants and that guitar (so sexy) performing "Save Me" are pure perfection.

On Magilla's theory (bigger and cheesier), I loved (and remember quite well) all those Disney numbers when they went big: The Lion King medley (wich excluded Elton John's performance), Aladdin's A Whole New World (with a beautiful Lea Salonga and a handsome Brad Kane), and specially Beauty and the Beast medley of Belle/Be Our Guest.

I haven't seen it, but my brother has told me Michael Sembello's "Maniac" was amazing. Defnitely the worst thing I've seen as a number was this year tragic take on "Happy Working Song", a song that I actually like. Hideous staging... Oh, sorry there was no staging. It was like "hey girl, go out and sing that song, quikly, we have this gap in here and we need to fill it with something so go out and try not to look nervous"

I've always been curious about certain performances I haven't seen, if anyone can at least describe them I'd be thankful.

- "Ave Satani", how did they do this?
- "Chim chim cher-ee", who performed this? was this a big production number or something?

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1227535613
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

One of my favorites was this year's Dolly Parton performance. Unfortunately, I can't remember enough of the past numbers to make a suitable list.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”