New Oscar Producers

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

flipp525 wrote:
Penelope wrote:
anonymous wrote:For host: Ricky Gervais

Please, no. Any of the others would be fine, but I think it should be a requirement to hosting that the person actually be funny.

Terribly unfunny man. That whole segment with Steve Carrell at the Emmys was embarrassing and uncomfortable. Even Carrell's wife was like, "Okay, I'm done with this bit."

I'm not interested in seeing him go on for 4+ hours. And also, no to the British guy with a speech impediment who hosts the BAFTAs, the one who acts like he wants to fuck all the male nominees. In fact, no Brits at all, unless it's Emma Thompson hosting. Now there's an inspired choice.

Oh god, anonymous, just let David Archuleta slip peacefully into obscurity as he's destined to.

Are you talking about Stephen Fry or Jonathan Ross?

Uh uh. His first single just gone Gold. He'll be fine. :D

Edited By anonymous on 1222487135
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Angie's too old to handle a whole show now. Even the Tonys have stopped asking her. The only reason for her to be anywhere near the Kodak Theatre on Oscar night is if they are either going to give a long overdue special Oscar or she is given something special to do like presenting clips of her deceased contemporaries from the 40s.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Emma Thompson would be a fine host, but you know why they let Angela Lansbury host so many Tony awards ceremonies? Because she's Grade-A classy. There's your host for the year: Angela Lansbury.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:

Please, no. Any of the others would be fine, but I think it should be a requirement to hosting that the person actually be funny.
Terribly unfunny man. That whole segment with Steve Carrell at the Emmys was embarrassing and uncomfortable. Even Carrell's wife was like, "Okay, I'm done with this bit."

I'm not interested in seeing him go on for 4+ hours. And also, no to the British guy with a speech impediment who hosts the BAFTAs, the one who acts like he wants to fuck all the male nominees. In fact, no Brits at all, unless it's Emma Thompson hosting. Now there's an inspired choice.

Oh god, anonymous, just let David Archuleta slip peacefully into obscurity as he's destined to.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Penelope wrote:

Then you won't like this bit of news I got from the IMDb:
Gervais Tipped To Be 2009 Oscars Host
25 September 2008 6:59 AM, PDT

British comedian Ricky Gervais is hotly tipped to host next year's Academy Awards.

Gossips claim new Oscars bosses Laurence Mark and Bill Condon were impressed with The Office creator's laugh-raising stint at Sunday's Emmy Awards, and they want to audition him for the Oscars.

A source tells Ew.com, "The buzz around town is that Ricky should host the Oscars."

Previous Oscars hosts have included Whoopi Goldberg, Steve Martin, Jon Stewart and Billy Crystal.

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

anonymous wrote:
Hustler wrote:
No tribute montages save for the In Memoriam segment.
I like this segment. It doesn´t disturb at all. Is a way of honoring those who had gone. What do you suggest to replace the montage?

I meant: No tribute montages EXCEPT for the In Memoriam segment.
sorry for the misunderstanding
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Hustler wrote:
I like this segment. It doesn´t disturb at all. Is a way of honoring those who had gone. What do you suggest to replace the montage?
I meant: No tribute montages EXCEPT for the In Memoriam segment.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ricky Gervais just wouldn't be the right fit.

Perhaps Robert Osbourne would be an ideal choice for a "classy" affair.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:

I have a chemical reaction to him. Don´t know why.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Edited By Hustler on 1222367931
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:I'll pass along any suggestions anyone has for the show.
For host: Ricky Gervais, Conan O'Brien, Stephen Colbert or even Jon Stewart again, I personally wouldn't mind. Someone like Hugh Laurie or Emma Thompson would be a classy and fantastic choice but it wouldn't bring the big ratings.

There should be a perfect balance of hip/current and old-fashioned Hollywood nostalgia. Going too far in either direction would be a disaster. It also should be more a celebration of cinema than a pop culture event.

All nominated songs should be performed in one medley -- by David Archuleta. :D
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Damien wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Well, I guess we know why Damien knew Gil Cates was out.

I'll pass along any suggestions anyone has for the show.
Thanks Damien!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

So far, I like what the new team's been saying:

Oscars tap Mark, Condon to oversee telecast
By Sandy Cohen
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two Hollywood veterans, Laurence Mark and Bill Condon, will oversee the next Academy Awards telecast.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Wednesday that producer Mark will produce the Feb. 22 show, while writer-director Condon will be executive producer. It will be the first time either has worked on the Oscars.

"It's both daunting and the gig of a lifetime," Mark said. "We haven't done anything like this before. I'm hoping that's in some way a plus. We don't quite know what can't be done."

Sid Ganis, the academy's president, said Mark and Condon are "fresh thinkers" who will bring a new perspective to the show.

"They're both fun and elegant, and that's what we want the show to be," Ganis said.

Mark and Condon worked together on 2006's "Dreamgirls." Mark's other producing credits include "I, Robot" and "Jerry Maguire." Condon won a screenplay Oscar for 1998's "Gods and Monsters," and was nominated for a second for writing 2002 best-picture winner "Chicago," which he also directed

The first order of business for the pair?

Choosing the Oscar host.

"All doors are open," Mark said. "The casting of any movie is crucial to the success of the movie, and we believe the same is true with any kind of awards show. The casting of the host is a big deal."
He declined to offer any hints as to whether a past host would return or a new face would grace the Kodak Theatre stage.

Mark and Condon plan to brainstorm together — and listen to the counsel of the film academy's staff — to create a show that celebrates movies.

"Not only should the Oscars celebrate excellence in the movies of the year," Mark said, "but hopefully we can figure out a way to also celebrate the joy, poignancy, laughter and thrills that folks have had at many movies of the year."

==============

Hollywood Reporter:

'Dreamgirls' duo producing Oscars telecast
First-time duties for Laurence Mark, Bill Condon
By Gregg Kilday
Sept 24, 2008, 01:07 PM ET

The "Dreamgirls" team of producer Laurence Mark and writer-director Bill Condon have been tapped to produce the 81st Annual Academy Awards telecast. Mark will serve as producer with Condon on board as exec producer; it's the first time either has produced the Oscar show.

Announcing their selection Wednesday, Academy president Sid Ganis said, "Larry and Bill are fresh thinkers who will bring a unique perspective to the Oscar show. That fact, joined with their enormous collective talent and enthusiasm, will serve the 81st awards proceedings perfectly."

As the screenwriter behind "Chicago," Condon devised a way to adapt that Broadway musical to the screen by locating the musical numbers in the minds of the characters.

And together Mark and Condon persuaded producer David Geffen to allow them to take on the film version of "Dreamgirls," the 1981 musical. That film went on to earn eight Oscar nominations, scoring two wins, including the best supporting actress Academy Award that went to Jennifer Hudson.

"What a thrill to produce the Oscar show," Mark said. "I'm excited about this opportunity and look forward to the challenge of a live television show that celebrates the very best in film."

"The Oscars are the ultimate recognition of excellent work in movies, and I'm so pleased to be part of putting the show together," Condon said.

Mark is in postproduction on "Julie and Julia," starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams and written and directed by Nora Ephron for release next year. His other credits include "I, Robot," "The Lookout," "Finding Forrester" and "Jerry Maguire," for which he received a best picture Oscar nom. He also served as executive producer on "As Good As It Gets" and "Working Girl."

Condon is writing a film about Richard Pryor for The Weinstein Co., which he will direct. He also wrote and directed "Kinsey," as well as "Gods and Monsters," for which he won the Academy Award for adapted screenplay.

The 81st Academy Awards will be telecast live by the ABC on Feb. 22.

Edited By Damien on 1222295846
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:And now with the third of her 11 dramatic recicitations, Hilary Swank . . .
Damien, the Oscars should be fun, not provide a cure for insomnia.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”