80th Ceremony

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Magilla's responding with the east coast time since that's the time zone Tee was asking about.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:Yes, it's the arrivals compilation. Stewart doesn't hit the stage until 8:30. I read it somewhere, just don't ask me where.
The guide on my cable says it starts at 7:30 (central time), with the arrivals beginning at 7.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Thanks for the quick responses.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
anonymous wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:Will we get the chance to see Amy Adams singin' "That's how you know" and "Happy Working Song"? Will she join Madonna and Björk in the group of "expected nominee for best actress that failed and had to go up on stage to sing"? Would it be a medley of three songs or will they single out So Close?

According to this article, rumor has it that if the Oscar ceremony pushes through as is, Amy Adams will only be performing "Happy Working Song". Kristin Chenoweth will perform "That's How You Know".

That would be great if only cause I love her! But tell me of an out-of-nowhere decision! How come? why she? Of course she'd probably be perfect for the song but why? Even considering you have another great broadway actress IN THE SAME FILM! (specially the one most associated with Kristin for their respective roles on Wicked!). Why don't ask Idina to do something with Amy?

(By the way, wasn't it bizarre to have Idina in a musical film where she doesn't sing at all?)

In any case, it would be way lot better than the out of nowhere choice of Beyonce in 2005!
Harry, it's likely because Chenowith is on Pushing Daisies, a show that airs on the same network as the Academy Awards.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, it's the arrivals compilation. Stewart doesn't hit the stage until 8:30. I read it somewhere, just don't ask me where.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That has typically been the start of the half-hour pre-arrivals thing, but I haven't heard anything about their red carpet show as confirmed this year.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Serious request: they're advertising the show for 8PM Eastern time Sunday. Does anyone know if that's when their half-hour of arrival highlights starts, or is that when Jon Stewart hits the stage? It makes a difference for when we invite our guests, and I'd like to know as soon as I can.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

anonymous wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:Will we get the chance to see Amy Adams singin' "That's how you know" and "Happy Working Song"? Will she join Madonna and Björk in the group of "expected nominee for best actress that failed and had to go up on stage to sing"? Would it be a medley of three songs or will they single out So Close?

According to this article, rumor has it that if the Oscar ceremony pushes through as is, Amy Adams will only be performing "Happy Working Song". Kristin Chenoweth will perform "That's How You Know".
That would be great if only cause I love her! But tell me of an out-of-nowhere decision! How come? why she? Of course she'd probably be perfect for the song but why? Even considering you have another great broadway actress IN THE SAME FILM! (specially the one most associated with Kristin for their respective roles on Wicked!). Why don't ask Idina to do something with Amy?

(By the way, wasn't it bizarre to have Idina in a musical film where she doesn't sing at all?)

In any case, it would be way lot better than the out of nowhere choice of Beyonce in 2005!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

While it might've been a bit over-used, I didn't think the use of the typewriter in Atonement was really all that heavy-handed and out-of-place. Contrary to its current promotion which is highlighting the "great, epic love story of our time", this film is really about the act writing: writing as an escape, writing as a transformation of experience, writing as obfuscation or misinterpretation. And it's about all forms of writing: plays, short fiction, the memoir, the novel, even amourous missives of rendevouz. There was every reason, thematically, for the click-clacking to reappear throughout the story. How compelling of a score, does that make, I'm not so sure.

Edited By flipp525 on 1202407083
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Akash wrote:Plus remember when they had a live orchestra on stage playing cuts from the nominated scores just before announcing the score winner? That was kind of neat too.

Though maybe not this year when the Score nominees suck hard. I don't really want to hear a clickety clack typewriter and some forgettable musical notes.
Just imagine: some guy center stage "playing" the typewriter.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Plus remember when they had a live orchestra on stage playing cuts from the nominated scores just before announcing the score winner? That was kind of neat too.

Though maybe not this year when the Score nominees suck hard. I don't really want to hear a clickety clack typewriter and some forgettable musical notes.

Edited By Akash on 1202406048
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Akash wrote:I also wish the clips would be a little bit longer since this is supposed to be about the films and not about what underwear J Lo is wearing (my guess: none, and that's fine by me).
I was just thinking that last night, actually. If you re-watch the telecast from last year, the clips for the supporting categories were significantly shorter than the ones for the lead categories. They also shoe-horned the requisite film score into the background of the scene, even if it wasn't playing during the scene in the actual movie. It was all very cheap and unprofessional. The acting categories are not places to skimp in order to cut showlength, producers. Just an FYI.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Zahveed wrote:I wonder if they're going to fill the stage with cockroaches and pigeons...
I'm sure Pixar can come up with something.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:The one I really hated was the 75th telecast when they didn't show clips of any of the nominated performances. I mean, what the hell was that about?

That was the "sad" Oscars. When we had to be all "serious" and support our troops remember?

I agree though. Either have the ceremony the way it's always been -- gaudy, larger than life and replete with errant nonsense -- or don't have it at all. I also wish the clips would be a little bit longer since this is supposed to be about the films and not about what underwear J Lo is wearing (my guess: none, and that's fine by me). Last year the clips went by so quickly, Jen Hudson could barely purse her lips together to complete one of her many "mmm, hmmm...grrrl" notes that would basically be her entire performance. And all we got from the annoying Sunshine kid was that shrill scream, instantly shifting our sympathies back to Hudson. If they do the same thing this year, Javier Bardem's character won't even have time to pull out his stun gun, and the average viewer will forget what Christie did in her film faster than her character would.

Edited By Akash on 1202405221
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I'd love to see:

Before each category is announced, they bring all of the past winners of the category onto the stage and the winner gets to join them after for a picture. It's like those long-ass acting winner retrospectives, but we get ALL of the previous Oscar winners together, not just the actors.
It would make the show way too long. Aside from several directors and writers, most behind the scenes artists are notoriously shy of public appearances. They had their moment or moments in the spotlight and are perfectly happy re-living them in private, but not public.

With the writers' strike not yet officailly over I wonder if it isn't too late for even the former acting winners to make plans to attend this year's ceremony. We may have seen our last grand re-union until the 100th anniversary.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”