2009 box-office Predix - Why not?

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Don't call her Sandy.

The Hangover wins the weekend with $33 mil.

Up hangs on with $30. It's going to be one of PIXAR's biggest films.

The Taking of Pelham 123 with $25 mil. For its budget ($100 mil) and it's rating ®, that's not bad.

Edited By Sabin on 1245005271
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'll see it on DVD, that is.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Thanks flipp for adding to the box-office gross of The Proposal (starring Sandra Bullock) and increasing its chances to be a 100+ million hit.

Edited By VanHelsing on 1244876971
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'd see it for two reasons: Betty White and Ryan Reynolds' magnificent abs.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

A couple friends of mine worked on The Proposal, and they said that for what it is, it's pretty good. Not that I'd take that with anything but a grain of salt, but it seems like it could be a solid mainstream rom-com doing solid mainstream rom-com grosses.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

The Hangover is so overrated but I guess it's all good: Bradley C will get more recognized and hopefully his new found fans will flock to see the other Sandy B flick, ALL ABOUT STEVE.

The Proposal looks DOA? Huh? Have you even seen the trailer or heard of the early buzz for it? Or you're just saying so 'cause you've never even liked Sandy. At. All.

I think Proposal has a chance to be Sandy's biggest opening weekend and probably an addition of 100+ million box-office hit to her kitty. And nope, I'm not saying this 'cause I'm a Sandy fanatic but based on the early buzz and tracking.

We'll see how it goes. Even if Hangover stays at the top for a 2nd week, I'm pretty sure Proposal will take over its spot on the following week. So I guess, again, it's all good.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think that The Hangover is going to top the box office again this weekend pretty easily.
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Sabin wrote:Also, that baby story sounds like the funniest thing to happen in the history of the planet.

I saw this, felt bad, and then thought of you guys. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8YYGvpfIJI

That video wasn't especially funny to me, but I noticed that it was a Failblog video, which is the funniest website in the history of the Internet and has stuff that is way funnier than that video. Like this. It's kind of gross, though, so you've been warned. :p
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Wouldn't a large demographic of PIXAR film start to deplete then?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This just in...! American prefers babies getting hurt to PIXAR! Whatever keeps our birth rate down.

The Hangover wins the weekend by $0.8 mil.

The Hangover - $44.9 mil ($30 mil - budget)
Up - $44.1 mil ($174 mil - budget)
Land of the Lost - $18.8 mil ($100 mil - budget)

Edited By Sabin on 1244502221
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Zahveed wrote:This isn't funny or terrible. This happens all the time with kids that age. Hell, it happened to me the other day. Long sleeves can be tricky.
Getting caught in your sleeves is not a big deal, I just felt bad when he started crying and hitting things out of frustration...and the parents kept filming. After the whole David After The Dentist phenomenon, I worry parents are going to film their children in distress in the hopes of achieving fame rather than help their little ones.
In the generation of reality television, this is going to be the norm eventually, and sadly enough.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Zahveed wrote:This isn't funny or terrible. This happens all the time with kids that age. Hell, it happened to me the other day. Long sleeves can be tricky.

Getting caught in your sleeves is not a big deal, I just felt bad when he started crying and hitting things out of frustration...and the parents kept filming. After the whole David After The Dentist phenomenon, I worry parents are going to film their children in distress in the hopes of achieving fame rather than help their little ones.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1244490965
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Zahveed wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:Clearly I misjudged you boys. If a baby having its face smashed by a car door is hilarious to you, that is all I need to know to judge you and your sense of humor.

Maybe I am just sensitive because I actual saw a baby's head get smashed while on a plane. The stressed out mother was not paying attention and lifted the baby up until it hit the ceiling of the small plane. The baby screamed the rest of the flight as the mother kept tearfully apologizing to the child and those who gasped in horror when it happened. Trust me, it is not funny when you see it in real life.

You're right, it's not funny when a real child bashes his head against something. Then we remember this is a movie, and a comedy. People laugh at things that are otherwise horrifying and disturbing, because they know it's not real. I would probably laugh for a different reason than Sabin. My laughter would be geared towards the mindset of "did that just happen? How irresponsible of them!"

We're talking about a medium where the worst situations involving drugs, sex, and death are made light of. Surely people can relate to getting drunk, wake up the next morning, and not know what the hell happened the night before. It doesn't have to be you, but there are people that find humor in those situations and that doesn't necessarily make them stupid for it.

I am not saying anyone who laughed at the baby scene is somehow awful, but the advertisements used that joke as a clear representation of the level of humor you could expect from the film.

Slamming a baby's face into a car door may be shocking, but it is certainly not clever. They just did it to be shocking and nothing more. That seems pretty lazy to me.

I am not saying every comedy has to be at the level of SIDEWAYS or anything, but I am just surprised such a routine and juvenile movie impressed people around here.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1244491640
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:
THE HANGOVER has a 76% on rottentomatoes.

That is 1 percentage point above WEDDING CRASHERS, which I likewise loathed.
But check this out! On metacritic, Wedding Crashers got 64% whereas The Hangover got 73%. So there! That scientifically proves that you (and America) will like The Hangover.
WEDDING CRASHERS and THE HANGOVER both earned a 6.7/10 on rottentomatoes, which really is not that good. A movie like THE SOLOIST earned a 6.1/10, and I know you are not calling that a good movie Sabin!
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Sabin wrote:Also, that baby story sounds like the funniest thing to happen in the history of the planet.
I saw this, felt bad, and then thought of you guys. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8YYGvpfIJI
This isn't funny or terrible. This happens all the time with kids that age. Hell, it happened to me the other day. Long sleeves can be tricky.

Return to “2009”