The Tony Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The big surprise for me was Zeta-Jones, but she fit in with the awards to the other big star winners in most categories.

The show itself moved faster than I recall any Tony awards show moving in years.

They also took a page out of Oscar's book by presenting the two life achievement awards prior to the show being aired. Marian Seldes wasn't even allowed a bow.

I could be wrong, but this is the first year I recall a memoriam tribute at the Tonys.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The winners.

Denzel, Scarlett and CZJ all won. Didn't think that would happen.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't know what happened to the idea or if it was just a rumor, but a few years back, I had heard they intended on introducing a category for actors that do not originate the roles, so that people who step in after a major star leaves can get some recognition for their work. Anyone know what happened with that?
The first year it was an official category, they decided not to nominated anyone and discontinued the award soon after. Is this the only category of a major award that never got awarded?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think it died a quick death.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know what happened to the idea or if it was just a rumor, but a few years back, I had heard they intended on introducing a category for actors that do not originate the roles, so that people who step in after a major star leaves can get some recognition for their work. Anyone know what happened with that?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

But Peters looks younger than 62, and can definitely pull it off.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Stritch, yes, but at 62 isn't Peters just a wee bit old to be playing a character in her 40s?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

It's still just rumors right now, but they may have found replacements for Zeta/Lansbury in A Little Night Music after all. Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch are supposedly considering stepping into the roles.

Edited By dws1982 on 1275144410
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Somehow, Memphis, which received decidedly mixed reviews, seems poised to win the Best Musical Tony over the much more critically acclaimed Fela! and American Idiot.

Did anyone else watch the Drama Desk stream on Theatetrmania.com?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

'Memphis' wins 4 prizes at NY Drama Desk Awards
AP

NEW YORK – Rhythm 'n' blues were the winners at this year's Drama Desk Awards.

The exuberant musical "Memphis" led the list of winners at Sunday's ceremony held by the Drama Desk, an organization of theater journalists and critics.

The new musical set in 1950s Memphis dance clubs picked up four prizes including best musical, orchestration, and music, which went to Bon Jovi keyboard player David Bryan. "Memphis" actress Montego Glover tied with Catherine Zeta Jones in "A Little Night Music" for Outstanding Actress in a Musical. Glover plays a black club singer who falls in love with a white DJ.

"Memphis" is also nominated for eight Tony Awards, which will be presented next month.

Meanwhile, "Red," a drama about the tortured Abstract Expressionist painter Mark Rothko, garnered best play by the Drama Desk. "Red" also won top honors for director, Michael Grandage, and lighting design.

Liev Schreiber, who portrays Brooklyn longshoreman Eddie Carbone in Arthur Miller's "A View From the Bridge," was named best actor-play, while Jan Maxwell, in the Broadway comedy "The Royal Family," was picked as best actress.

"A View from the Bridge" and August Wilson's "Fences" tied for best revival of a play while "La Cage Aux Folles" won for best revival of a musical, best actor in a musical, Douglas Hodge, and best costume design.

Other acting prizes went to Santino Fontana in "Brighton Beach Memoirs," Viola Davis in "Fences," Christopher Fitzgerald in "Finian's Rainbow," and Katie Finneran in the musical "Promises, Promises."

Twyla Tharp received top choreography honors for "Come Fly Away," John Kander and Fred Ebb garnered best lyricist prize for "The Scottsboro Boys," and saxophonist Branford Marsalis won for best music in a play.

"Sondheim on Sondheim" won best musical review.

The Drama Desk, which was founded in 1949, honors both Broadway and off-Broadway productions.

The awards show, hosted by Patti LuPone, took place at the F.H. LaGuardia Concert Hall at Lincoln Center.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Interestingly, back in 1973 Debbie Reynolds had been a heavy favorite to win Best Actress in a Musical when she was starring in Irene, but lost to Glynnis Johns in A Little Night Music.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I can't see Debbie Reynolds playing the old courtesan especially since her nemesis Elizabeth Taylor played the younger role in the film version even if it was more than thirty years ago, besides which she isn't right for the role.

Zeta-Jones is not going to win the Tony. She knows she's not going to win the Tony so maybe her absence is calculated to use missing the out-of-town voters as an excuse for when she loses.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

A Little Night Music will close June 20, without recouping its initial investment. Lansbury's and Zeta-Jones's contract run out that day, and the producers weren't able to get replacements who they thought would bring in the audiences. I know they had tried to get Debbie Reynolds to replace Lansbury, but that never worked out.

Meanwhile Catherine Zeta-Jones's Tony chances may take a hit because she missed some performances last week. Last week (according to the Broadway World message boards) was when a lot of out-of-town Tony voters had converged on Manhattan to take in the shows. Not the best time to send your understudy on.

Alfred Molina won the Drama League Distinguished Performance Award yesterday. Red won the award for best production of a play, and Sonheim on Sondheim won the musical award.

Edited By dws1982 on 1274552462
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Mister Tee wrote:
Okri wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Of the 11 shows with 4 or more nominations, 7 are revivals. That tells you just about all you need to know about this season.
Ehh, it's been so long that Broadway's been a hotbed of original works (and that's directly linked to the ascension of Off Broadway) so I have a hard time kvetching about a poor season when theatre overall is actually quite strong.
Certainly revivals have long since been a major factor in the Tonys, and the idea of a play or even musical originating on Broadway is strictly an old-timer's memory -- but usually there's a better assortment of off-Broadway/London/regional transfers of new work to give the season the appearance of life.
Eh, I dunno. The play line-up looks pretty strong with the Ruhl, Logan and Naufts - which seems to be as strong a line-up as you generally see. When you toss on the fact that the additional categories (sound; splitting of play from musical in craft categories) that favour the splashier revivals (simply because older shows tend to favour more ostentatious designs vs modern), I don't think it's that indicative of a weak season.

Weak year for musicals? Not a great one, and that reflects badly, I'd admit, but I don't think it's the determinant.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:AND the Tony Award for Cowardice goes to Lucy Liu of "God of Carnage," the only actor on Broadway who refused to go on Saturday night during the bomb scare.

She panicked after talking to police outside the theater. Her understudy bravely went on with the show's other stars, Jeff Daniels, Janet McTeer and Dylan Baker.

I'm told she feels "terrible" now about missing the performance.

Well, Lucy, there's a saying in the theater: The show must go on.

Take your lead from Nathan Lane, the star of "The Addams Family."

He's in a bomb every night, but he never misses!
I love it!

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”