2009-2010 Broadway Season

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Speaking of upcoming shows, I just scored tickets to the penultimate performance of "A Streetcar Named Desire" at the Kennedy Center starring Cate Blanchett! Liv Ullmann directing. So excited...
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Previews begin November 24th, opens December 13th. I don't believe tickets are on sale yet. Check out Broadway.com for ticket information. As an example, tickets for the revival of Hair range from $37-252 for a matinee performance. As far as I know SRO tickets are still sold day of performance only. Once the show begins you can take any empty seat but if the ticket holder arrives late you will have to move.

You should also check out Orbitz.com or a similar on-like service for travel and hotel costs.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm hoping SRO doesn't mean literally standing for an entire performance. I can't do that. I'd rather sit. Unfortunately, I know literally nothing about these kinds of things. I've been to one touring show ever (Wicked in OKC) and got autographs from the leads, but that was in. I'm not certain how close that is to what happens on Broadway.

I don't know how much I will have to spend, which is why I'm looking for an idea of how much it would cost so I could plan. I also don't know when they play opens. I don't know the area at all and don't want to suffer the pitfalls of tourists in big cities.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I found this hilarious comment from someone who no doubt made it in all sincerity in one of O'Neil's forums:

"It has always been a dream of mine to see Angela Lansbury onstage before she passes away, and I am hoping I can save up enough money to go see her in this show, which is one of my favorite musicals."

I wonder how many would want to see her on stage after she passes away.
Yeah, I'm not sure what your beef about this is either. It's a very common expression.
Did I say I had a beef? I said I found it funny. I'm sure Ms. Lansbury would, too.

It was in the way it was worded, which was not exactly the same as Sonic's example of this "common enough expression".
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Anyone know what that kind of a trip what cost? What kind of time period I should expect to go in in order to catch her? The likelihood of getting stuck with an understudy?
It all depends on what time you go. Around the Holidays, airfare and hotel prices would probably pretty expensive. In the dead of winter, or early spring, you can usually get pretty good deals. Flights during the week are usually cheaper than weekend flights, and I got a better deal going through Newark than I would have through JFK or LaGuardia. But transport to and from the airport can be a headache.
I, too, prefer Newark to JFK and LaGuardia.

Transport from JFK is indeed a hassle. LaGuardia is easier but Newark is best. There's a bus with frequent intervals from the airport to the Port Authority terminal at 8th Avenue and 41st St., a couple of blocks from Times Square.

Always travel mid-week if you can.

Matinees are cheaper, of course. I don't know about stage door signings at her age, but you can probably see her perform at the matinee and go back after the evening performance with Playbill in hand to try and see her up close for an autograph or whatever.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Anyone know what that kind of a trip what cost? What kind of time period I should expect to go in in order to catch her? The likelihood of getting stuck with an understudy?
It all depends on what time you go. Around the Holidays, airfare and hotel prices would probably pretty expensive. In the dead of winter, or early spring, you can usually get pretty good deals. Flights during the week are usually cheaper than weekend flights, and I got a better deal going through Newark than I would have through JFK or LaGuardia. But transport to and from the airport can be a headache.
I, too, prefer Newark to JFK and LaGuardia.

Transport from JFK is indeed a hassle. LaGuardia is easier but Newark is best. There's a bus with frequent intervals from the airport to the Port Authority terminal at 8th Avenue and 41st St., a couple of blocks from Times Square.

Always travel mid-week if you can.

Matinees are cheaper, of course. I don't know about stage door signings at her age, but you can probably see her perform at the matinee and go back after the evening performance with Playbill in hand to try and see her up close for an autograph or whatever.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:I found this hilarious comment from someone who no doubt made it in all sincerity in one of O'Neil's forums:

"It has always been a dream of mine to see Angela Lansbury onstage before she passes away, and I am hoping I can save up enough money to go see her in this show, which is one of my favorite musicals."

Yeah, I'm not sure what your beef about this is either. It's a very common expression.

As dws stated, holiday times are generally going to be your most expensive periods to fly. Do you have miles, Wes?

As far as tickets go, sign up for playbill.com. They send out special alerts for reduced tickets for popular shows almost daily. The TKTS booths located around the city are a crapshoot; sometimes you can score amazing tickets to exactly the show you want to see and other times, it's bottom of the barrel fare. It just depends on the day.

If you're concerned about money, "standing room only" tickets are quite cheap.

Edited By flipp525 on 1254242779
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

As for understudies, there's no way of knowing. Lansbury doesn't have a reputation of missing a lot of performances the way some actors do, but she is over 80 and you never know when health problems could put her out of the show for a day or two. (That could be true of anyone, of course, but especially someone in their mid 80's.) She's also known for being very good at the stage door, even sending out signed playbills after matinee performances when she doesn't come out to sign.

Edited By dws1982 on 1254240504
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:There seems to more than the usual number of revivals
You've obviously been away from the NY scene for a long time. Revivals are mostly what Broadway does these days. Why do you think they expanded to separate categories for revived plays and revived musicals?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So, seeing Lansbury on Broadway would be a treat.

Anyone know what that kind of a trip what cost? What kind of time period I should expect to go in in order to catch her? The likelihood of getting stuck with an understudy?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

???

It's a common enough expression. I've heard variations of it all my life. Have you never said "I hope the Academy gives him the Oscar before he dies"?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I haven't heard much about the new Broadway season.

There's a new Hugh Jackman-Daniel Craig show about Chicago cops making headlines because of Jackman's stopping the show to taunt an audience member with a cell phone that piqued my interest so I did a little research.

There seems to more than the usual number of revivals including Jude Law in Hamlet; Rosemary Harris in The Royal Family and five major musicals: Bye, Bye Birdie (John Stamos, Gina Gershon); Finian's Rainbow (Kate Bladwin, Cheyenne Jackson, Christopher Fitzgerald); Ragtime (nobody Ive ever heard of); La Cage Au Folles (still not completely cast) and A Little Night Music (Catherine Zeta-Jones, Angela Lansbury).

I found this hilarious comment from someone who no doubt made it in all sincerity in one of O'Neil's forums:

I'll say it now. She'll win her sixth Tony easily.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”