Theatre in London

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Well i did see Les Miserables for the second time. Other musicals that i could see were "La Cage Aux Folles", "Pricilla Queen of the Desert", "Olivier!", "Hairspray", "Calender Girls", but i wasn't particularly enthusiastic about seeing any of those. The only comedy i wanted to see was "England People Very Nice" which was at the National but didn't have time to see. And sadly "A Little Night Music" closed just days before i got to London.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That was intense alright. No modern musicals or comedies worth seeing to lighten up a bit?
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I am just back from London, after a week of intensive theatre-going.

Phedre 6/10
Helen Mirren heads the cast of this play by Jean Racine. She wasn't on top form though. The performances of Dominic Cooper and Margaret Tyzack were better received.

Arcadia 8/10
I had never watched this play by Tom Stoppard. It was quite original and the cast (Samantha Bond, Dan Stevens, Neil Pearson) was very good.

A Streetcar Named Desire 8/10
Rachel Weisz was superb even though from a first glance she is too beautiful and young for the role. However she did it without too much southern belle mannerisms and she was better than Glenn Close's Blanche who i saw a few years back. The actors who played Mitch and Stanley were not as good though.

All's Well That Ends Well 8/10
Claire Higgins heads the cast. It was directed as a fairytale, and this aproach was quite ideal.

Hamlet 9/10
Jude Law was wonderful in the title role. The rest of the production wasn't anything special, but then again everyone was focused on Hamlet. Bonus points to Jude Law for meeting his fans every night and signing programmes for everyone.

The Cherry Orchard 7/10
A Winter's Tale 7/10
Directed by Sam Mendes, these 2 plays presented in repertoire, did not impress me as much as the previous Mendes double bill a few years back (Uncle Vanya/ Twelfth Night). Simon Russell Beale and Rebecca Hall were the standouts in both productions, while Ethan Hawke and Richard Easton were also good in "A Winter's Tale". However the best part of "A Winter's Tale' had nothing to do with what was going on on the stage. I did have the best seat in the house. Billy Crudup was sitting on my right, Neve Campbell on my left and Derek Jacobi right behind me. (P.S. Crudup is such a nice guy).

Waiting for Godot 9/10
I always avoided to see this Beckett play, as everyone was telling me that it had no plot and that it was a very difficult play. But with such a cast nothing could go wrong, and nothing did. Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Simon Callow and Ronald Pickup were all superb, with McKellen being the ideal Estragon.

Macbeth: Who is that Blooded Man 2/10
Crap.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1249907903

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”