"Harry Potter" Book 7 release date is...

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

got last book at midnight. *check*

went in costume. *hell no*

Edited By OscarGuy on 1172077852
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sabin wrote:Wow. This summer is going to be unbearable. I'm with you Akash. I can't wait for this anonymous, innocuous series to be done with.
If I hadn't picked up the first Harry Potter book on a whim back in the Christmas season of 1999 when the hype was in it's infancy, I probably would've joined Sabin and Akash in their crankiness towards the franchise.

But I was hooked on the first book. I'm looking forward to a Potter-filled July. Well, at least I don't go to midnight parties and pick up the book in costume. LMAO.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Wow. This summer is going to be unbearable. I'm with you Akash. I can't wait for this anonymous, innocuous series to be done with.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There are two ways it could go down:

1. Voldemort finally kills Harry, killing himself.

2. Harry kills Voldemort, thus killing himself.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I have a theory that Harry will simply lose his powers rather than die. Harry dying would be far too bleak, grim and depressing for a young adult/children's book. Harry defeating Voldemort and living happily ever after would be too cliche and a cop-out. Harry losing his powers but still alive and well would be a rather bittersweet ending for the series.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Rowling sure has set this up. How will Harry destroy himself? The Killing Curse on himself? Slicing his wrists in the bathtub? I can just imagine Voldemort pleading with him to stay alive for his sake, perhaps offering him a deal to rule the world...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yes, from the description in the books, I firmly believe that Harry himself is a Horcrux and with the prophecy saying neither can die while the other lives, it's apparent that will be the case.
Wesley Lovell
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

I was discussing the final HP volume with a Potter fan, who I work with. He is convinced that as Harry collects Voldemort's 'horcruxes' - to be destroyed - he will discover that the final one will turn out to be the mark on his own forehead and will have to kill himself in order to complete his task.
This guy has begun rereading the whole set in anticipation of July 21st. It told him he is starting way too early. I won't begin until May. I think I will begin with book 6 and then on to #1 because it will be better to catch all the clues I have missed in the past...
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Yay! I just ordered mine today!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'd like to STRONGLY encourage everyone to purchase the new harry potter book through the link on the main page of my site.

I get a tiny tition from the sales of these books, so I'd appreciate your support. :)
Wesley Lovell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

I tend to just celebrate in my shell when these are announced...or at the midnight release parties with other like-minded people. Because my girlfriend and I am are all alone in our devotion to Potter out of all our friends. There is undoubtedly a massive wave of hype with every book and movie, but then, it was the same for Star Wars, and we can't argue those movies were consistent quality...Potter v. Star Wars fight, anyone? :laugh:
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oscar Guy, I'm sorry if my dislike came across as "offensive." I did include a smily face to lighten the mood and described myself as a "curmudgeon" which isn't exactly a positive trait.

I also should have contextualized this better. I should explain that I worked as an intern at Random House one summer when these books were coming out and I was forever ambushed and confronted by people who loved them and demanded that I love them too. I know that has nothing to do with anyone on this board, but I guess that was what I was reacting to. I didn't mean to say that people here who loved those books were "obnoxious Potterheads" but rather specifically referring to the kinds of people I've met in previous summers and expect to meet again.

Still, sorry if this offended you.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think there's anyone who offends me more often lately than you, Akash. I swear you don't have even the remotely same tastes as me and you can't help but ridicule other people on this board who love those things...
Wesley Lovell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Good riddance to this rubbish! The summer will feature the usual obnoxious throng of Potterheads who simultaneously explode every time one of these mediore books or godawful movies is released.

Once it's over though, at least us anti-Potter curmudgeons can rest assured that this will be the last one. :D That is...unless she decides to write an adult years spinoff of the series.

Ron and Hermoine and the Morning After Pill?
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Best news of the year so far! Only 170 days left, people!
It's going to be a Potter-ific summer, that's for sure, and on the tenth anniversary of the first book's publication. Rowling has had quite a decade pass her by, and will have a few more good years once the movies themselves are filmed and released and given a license to print money. It will be sad to see the series go.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”