J.K. Rowling stands up to airport security

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Sonic Youth wrote:How principled.

You do realise that whatever you think of the quality of some literature means absolute ####-all to the bigger issue at hand, which is the hysterical, illogical, draconian rules that you can't bring a book to read onto a BA flight... because of our SAFETY, our SAFETY!
I know...I was being silly.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Oh NO! The stewardess is being held hostage by a book-wielding maniac! I only hope she doesn't get a papercut...she could get an infection and like die! OMG!
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

How principled.

You do realise that whatever you think of the quality of some literature means absolute ####-all to the bigger issue at hand, which is the hysterical, illogical, draconian rules that you can't bring a book to read onto a BA flight... because of our SAFETY, our SAFETY!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Nik wrote:Too bad they didn't do the public a favor and confiscate the damn thing. I guess the airlines don't count insipid literary mediocrities as particularly harmful to the public.

I, of course, couldn't disagree more.

:angry:

Elitist pig.
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Too bad they didn't do the public a favor and confiscate the damn thing. I guess the airlines don't count insipid literary mediocrities as particularly harmful to the public.

I, of course, couldn't disagree more.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

J.K. Rowling Challenges Airport Security

Sep 14, 6:27 PM (ET)

LONDON (AP) - J.K. Rowling says she won an argument with airport security officials in New York to carry the manuscript of the final "Harry Potter" book as carry-on baggage. Had security agents not relented, the British author said on her Web site, she might not have flown.

"I don't know what I would have done if they hadn't - sailed home probably," she wrote. The posting was dated Wednesday.

The 41-year-old author had participated in an Aug. 1 book reading for charity with fellow writers Stephen King and John Irving. Security was drastically tightened after Aug. 10 when British police said they had intercepted a plot to blow up U.S.-bound airliners.

"The heightened security restrictions on the airlines made the journey back from New York interesting, as I refused to be parted from the manuscript of book seven.

"A large part of it is handwritten and there was no copy of anything I had done while in the U.S."

Eventually, she added, "They let me take it on, thankfully, bound up in elastic bands."

America's Transportation Security Administration has "never implemented a ban on carryon luggage for flights originating in the United States," TSA spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said. "A manuscript would certainly be allowed to be carried on."

British Airways did ban carryon baggage on flights between the U.S. and Britain last month when the threat alert was raised because a terror plot was broken up in England.

Rowling said she was still considering two possible titles for the last of the boy wizard's adventures.

"I was quite happy with one of them until the other one struck me while I was taking a shower in New York," she wrote.

"They would both be appropriate, so I think I'll have to wait until I'm further into the book to decide which one works best."
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”