The Official Tony Awards Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okri wrote:I would be stunned if John Lloyd Young lost the Tony. Has he lost anything yet?
All I see Young has won is the Outer Critics, for which Martin wasn't nominated (Outer Critics left out Foster, too). Is there something else I'm missing?

As I said, this year I'm a detached observer, thus talking out of my butt even more than usual -- which is to say, simply going on impressions gleaned from reviews, which seemed to single out Martin. If Young wins the Drama Desk this weekend, I'll likely revise my opinion.

I'll agree, last season's nominees didn't include any outright dogs of the Starmites/Romance Romance variety, and all but Dirty Rotten Soundrels were at least positively rated (though none quite loved, except by niches). I'm so used to crap nominees over the past three decades, I failed to notice a decent year.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I actually think Lupone has a strong chance to win, and I'd be predicting her now. She took on a strong role and put her own stamp on it (basically, the entire production put on a strong stamp). She's a veteran of what may be the closest Tony race ever (Joanna Gleason vs Patti Lupone, 1988). And do they really want to give Foster a second Tony so quickly. She's not Audra McDonald (who they'll get yet another chance to award next year). I could see La Chanze taking it outright too.

I love McDonnaugh - four tony nominations in 8 seasons is nothing to dismiss. I think he should've won last year (after reading Doubt twice, I've decided that it wasn't nearly as good as Democracy or The Pillowman), but I think this is going to Bennett as well (and deserved - it's a great play).

Mister Tee, I would be stunned if John Lloyd Young lost the Tony. Has he lost anything yet? And I'd argue that all four musicals nominated last year had solid critical acclaim.

For featured, I'd predict Felciano over Dale, de La Tour over Wanamaker, Barnett over McDermid, and don't know yet with the other category.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

So what happened to the replacement category?

I'm planning to be in New York with my parents in early August, so I'm going to try to see one of these shows. I'd like to see The History Boys or Sweeney Todd, although I've heard good things about Jersey Boys too.

Uninformed predictions:

Play- The History Boys seems to have this in the bag. Rabbit Hole is closed, Shining City only had one other nomination, and Inishmore is the only one that could pull an upset, because McDonagh has to win the Tony sometime doesn't he? But still, this is Alan Bennett's award to lose.

Musical- Between Jersey Boys and The Drowsy Chaperone; The Drowsy Chaperone is one of those musical comedies that's been popular in recent years, but Jersey Boys supposedly packs a strong emotional punch. One of those two wins.

Play Revival- Two of these closed long ago. Since Awake and Sing! has a directing nomination, and Faith Healer doesn't, I'll lean towards Awake and Sing!.

Musical Revival- The Pajama Game seems to be the more entertaining night at the theater, but Sweeney Todd has the better reviews. It'll be close, but I think Sweeney Todd wins.

Actor, Play- Richard Griffiths seems to be the definite favorite.

Actress, Play- All of these productions are closed, which is odd. Lynn Redgrave might've had a better chance in the Featured category; Rabitt Hole did pretty well with the nominations, so Nixon wins.

Actor, Musical- I think this goes to John Lloyd Young. Michael Cerveris just won a few years back, and Harry Connick Jr's show may seem too lightweight, although it may be the best place to guarantee his show a win.

Actress, Musical- I think this is between LaChanze and LuPone. LaChanze may win, since her show doesn't have a shot anywhere else.

Featured Actor, Play- Ian McDiarmid had the best reviews of the three in Faith Healer, so I think he'll win this, Samuel Barnett is the spoiler, although since his show is a frontrunner in a few other categories, they may spread the wealth.

Featured Actress, Play- De La Tour vs. Wanamaker. Wanamaker has been nominated for every Broadway show she's ever done, so she has to win sometime, right?

Featured Actor, Musical- Jim Dale is the sentimental favorite, but this category doesn't seem to have a real frontrunner

Featured Actress, Musical- Beth Leavel, The Drowsy Chaperone may be the frontrunner.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

As Broadway ticket prices rise, I see less and less, and, for I believe the first time in three decades, I've seen absolutely nothing nominated (or omitted, for that matter).

Sonic, your memory is quite right: Color Purple's reviews were mediocre-to-sour. But the Tonys mostly nominate 3-4 musicals, and it's been a long time since there were that many truly acclaimed shows in one season, so the game becomes eliminate-the-worst (Lestat, Tarzan) and slate the rest. And once a musical survives the cut, the sheer number of prizes available to musicals (score, book, choreography, orchestrations -- even, as of last year, separate categories for design) makes double-digit nominations fairly easily achievable. (My wife has appeared in more than one show that got mild reviews and still did very well at the Tonys) The real oddity is the absent directing nod; you wonder if the committe got a giggle out of replicating the famous Spielberg snub. Still, the omission is perfectly within normal Tony practice, as the less-loved musicals are replaced by the directors of better-loved revivals.

As Magilla says, the ranks of Tony voters have been polluted in recent years by road-company folk, and my guess is their support for Jersey Boys will fight against the cast-album-collectors' swoon over Drowsy Chaperone and create a decent race -- with Chaperone probably winning in the end. I also think Martin will take best actor for Chaperone (his reviews have been personally sensational), and I wouldn't rule out Foster for a repeat. (I don't see the Purple enthusiasm you do, Magilla -- I think even Lupone is as likely as LaChanze)

On the play side, History Boys seems a shoo-in, as Inishmore appears to have disappointed some audiences and critics -- it's apparently quite violent and off-putting for some, and McDonagh already rankles Tony voters: he's lost races, to Doubt and Art, where his plays had greater support. Ironic, that the most commonly Broadway-produced playwright of recent years should win an Oscar but no Tony.

The best actress/drama nominees are all from shows that have closed already, so it's kind of a jump ball -- with popular Cynthia Nixon vs. tour-de-force Lisa Kron probably the leaders. Griffiths seems a lay-down for best actor.

The supporting players, I have no idea -- though a friend tells me McDiarmid was the absolute standout of Faith Healer.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Wow! Harry Connick, Jr. nominated for a Tony. Interesting for a guy who made his career in the late 80's, early 90's as a sort of Sinatra-lite and whose movie career fizzled after a promising start in movies like Copycat. Good for him.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Tonys are voted on now by more producers and their cronies than the artistic community within the Broadway theatre. They tend to give the major awards to those shows with the most commercial viability - what will bring in the most bucks on tour and/or in Las Vegas as well as on Broadway.

My predictions in the major musical categories:

Best Musical

Jersey Boys has the most commercial viabiity, but The Color Purple is a known commodity. The Drowsy Chaperone came out of nowhere to garner the year's best reviews. Sometimes critical acclaim transcends the profit motive. Prediction: The Drowsy Chaperone.

Best Revival of a Musical

The Pajama Game was only given a limited run to begin with. Sweeney Todd is the critic's darling. Prediciton: Sweeney Todd.

Best Actor in a Musical

Bob Martin will win for his book for The Drowsy Chaperone. They'll consider that enough. Michael Cerveris is a recent winner, albeit as featured actor in Assassins. They'll consider it too soon to reward him again. It's a toss-up between the popular Harry Connick, Jr. and John Lloyd Young, the kid who plays Frankie Valli in Jersey Boys. Prediction: Star power triumphs - Harry Connick, Jr. in The Pajama Game.

Best Actress in a Musical

Chita Rivera is lucky to be nominated for playing herself. Sutton Foster is a recent winner for the thoroughly despicable Thoroghly Modern Millie. Patti LuPone is always a threat but it looks to me like a toss-up between Kelli O'Hara who should have won the featured actress Tony last year for The Light in the Piazza and LaChaze who is better than her material in The Color Purple. LaChanze also starred as the runaway slave who lives to a ripe old age in last year's Dessa Rose, newly released on CD, brilliant and towering over The Color Purple in every way. Besides, how can they deny giving the award to a woman who lost her husband in the World Trade Center on 9/ll? Prediction: LaChanze in The Color Purple.

Best Featured Actor in a Musical

Prediction: Star power triumphs again. Jim Dale in The Threepenny Opera. Dale won as lead actor 25 years ago in Barnun.

Best Featured Actress in a Musical

Prediction: Elisabeth Witers-Mendes, who plays Shug Avery in The Color Purple and has the show's best song - Push Da Button, not to be confused with Harold Areln's Push De Button sung by Lena Horne in Jamaica nearly 50 years ago.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1147847723
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I thought the movie was wonderful but there are WAY too many interesting corellations to 1985...It's got the same number of nominations (11), no director nomination...it has a more likely set of competition in The Drowsy Chaperone...I can see it losing here, too...wouldn't that be one for the record books.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I am glad to see the three leading performers in Pajama Game in contention. It has been a long time since this show opened, and having heard it recently and seen the film, it is not as dated as I thought it would be. I predict that all three will win their categories(two leads, Best Featured Actress) in the revivals. I think Sweeney Todd's Patti Lupone has to go a long way to match the inestimable Lansbury.
The Colour Purple: isn't Oprah banging her power around too much? It was dead on screen, and I can't fathom a musical of it. Has anyone seen it?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I don't usually read reviews of Broadway shows, but I seem to recall The Color Purple receiving bad notices. Am I wrong?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

anonymous wrote:The Color Purple got nominated for 11 Tonys. I wonder if this will be Oscar Night Part II and get shut-out again.
No directing nod, either. LOL!

Clearly this material directs itself.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Color Purple got nominated for 11 Tonys. I wonder if this will be Oscar Night Part II and get shut-out again.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Best Play
The History Boys Author: Alan Bennett
Producers: Boyett Ostar Productions, Roger Berlind, Debra Black, Eric Falkenstein, Roy Furman, Jam Theatricals, Stephanie P. McClelland, Judith Resnick, Scott Rudin, Jon Avnet/Ralph Guild, Dede Harris/Mort Swinsky, The National Theatre of Great Britain

The Lieutenant of Inishmore Author: Martin McDonagh
Producers: Randall L. Wreghitt, Dede Harris, Atlantic Theater Company, David Lehrer, Harriet Newman Leve & Ron Nicynski, Zavelson Meyrelles Greiner Group, Mort Swinsky & Redfern Goldman Productions, Ruth Hendel

Rabbit Hole Author: David Lindsay-Abaire
Producers: Manhattan Theatre Club, Lynne Meadow, Barry Grove

Shining City Author: Conor McPherson
Producers: Manhattan Theatre Club, Lynne Meadow, Barry Grove, Scott Rudin, Roger Berlind, Debra Black

Best Musical
The Color Purple Producers: Oprah Winfrey, Scott Sanders, Roy Furman, Quincy Jones, Creative Battery, Anna Fantaci & Cheryl Lachowicz, Independent Presenters Network, David Lowy, Stephanie P. McClelland, Gary Winnick, Jan Kallish, Nederlander Presentations, Inc., Bob & Harvey Weinstein, Andrew Asnes & Adam Zotovich, Todd Johnson

The Drowsy Chaperone Producers: Kevin McCollum, Roy Miller, Boyett Ostar Productions, Stephanie P. McClelland, Barbara Freitag, Jill Furman

Jersey Boys Producers: Dodger Theatricals, Joseph J. Grano, Pelican Group, Tamara and Kevin Kinsella, Latitude Link, Rick Steiner/Osher/Staton/Bell/Mayerson Group

The Wedding Singer Producers: Margo Lion, New Line Cinema, The Araca Group, Roy Furman, Douglas L. Meyer/James D. Stern, Rick Steiner/The Staton Bell Osher Mayerson Group, Jam Theatricals, Jujamcyn Theaters, Jay Furman, Michael Gill, Dr. Lawrence Horowitz, Rhoda Mayerson, Marisa Sechrest, Gary Winnick, Dancap Productions, Inc., Élan V. McAllister/Allan S. Gordon/Adam Epstein

Best Book of a Musical
Chad Beguelin and Tim Herlihy The Wedding Singer
Marshall Brickman & Rick Elice Jersey Boys
Bob Martin and Don McKellar The Drowsy Chaperone
Marsha Norman The Color Purple

Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre
Music & Lyrics: Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison The Drowsy Chaperone
Music & Lyrics: Brenda Russell, Allee Willis, Stephen Bray The Color Purple
Music: Matthew Sklar
Lyrics: Chad Beguelin The Wedding Singer
Music: Andrew Lloyd Webber
Lyrics: David Zippel The Woman in White

Best Revival of a Play
Awake and Sing! Producers: Lincoln Center Theater, André Bishop, Bernard Gersten
The Constant Wife Producers: Roundabout Theatre Company, Todd Haimes, Ellen Richard, Julia C. Levy
Edward Albee's Seascape Producers: Lincoln Center Theater, André Bishop, Bernard Gersten
Faith Healer Producers: Michael Colgan & Sonia Friedman Productions, The Shubert Organization, Robert Bartner, Roger Berlind, Scott Rudin, Spring Sirkin, Gate Theatre Dublin

Best Revival of a Musical
The Pajama Game Producers: Roundabout Theatre Company, Todd Haimes, Harold Wolpert, Julia C. Levy, Jeffrey Richards, James Fuld, Jr., Scott Landis
Sweeney Todd Producers: Tom Viertel, Steven Baruch, Marc Routh, Richard Frankel, Ambassador Theatre Goup, Adam Kenwright, Tulchin/Bartner/Bagert
The Threepenny Opera Producers: Roundabout Theatre Company, Todd Haimes, Harold Wolpert, Julia C. Levy

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play
Ralph Fiennes Faith Healer
Richard Griffiths The History Boys
Željko Ivanek The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial
Oliver Platt Shining City
David Wlmot The Lieutenant of Inishmore

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play
Kate Burton The Constant Wife
Judy Kaye Souvenir
Lisa Kron Well
Cynthia Nixon Rabbit Hole
Lynn Redgrave The Constant Wife