The Killing

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:It was my impression the advance critical reviews were quite enthusiastic -- that's what got me to tune in.

It's possible you don't hear people talking about it week-to-week, a la Mad Men or Lost, because the episodes are not self-contained. I view watching it as absorbing a long-form piece, one I wouldn't presume to comment on till I've see the completed version. As with any crime-related story, there's always the possibility the destination will not measure up to the journey -- though the fact that it's already been fully seen and praised in a Scandanavian version gives one confidence.

Anyone who hasn't been watching and has a way of catching up, I join those fully recommending it.
The Killing also premiered the same time as two other Sunday night shows which received a good deal of attention: Mildred Pierce and The Borgias. Mildred Pierce turned out to be a lethargic disappointment, and The Borgias is merely The Tudors in a different country.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It was my impression the advance critical reviews were quite enthusiastic -- that's what got me to tune in.

It's possible you don't hear people talking about it week-to-week, a la Mad Men or Lost, because the episodes are not self-contained. I view watching it as absorbing a long-form piece, one I wouldn't presume to comment on till I've see the completed version. As with any crime-related story, there's always the possibility the destination will not measure up to the journey -- though the fact that it's already been fully seen and praised in a Scandanavian version gives one confidence.

Anyone who hasn't been watching and has a way of catching up, I join those fully recommending it.

Edited By Mister Tee on 1304970917
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I've been watching this show too, Damien. I'm also hooked. The entire cast is superb especially Michelle Forbes and Brent Sexton as the grieving parents. I hope the Emmys take notice and nominate the show, them, lead actress Mirielle Enos and the directing for the pilot.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Tee mentioned it in another thread, but I'm very surprised that no one in the media or general public seems to be talking about the AMC series, The Killing. I'm hooked on this police procedural. It has traces of Twin Peaks and a nod here and there to Gus van Sant but it's also highly original and amazingly smart. And It's wonderfully moody and evocative-Seattle is used brilliantly and the series has a memorable mournful tone to it.

It is also superbly acted. I was only familiar with two of the cast members (The Rocketeer's Billy Campbell and Brendon Sexton III from Boys Don't Cry and Pecker), but the entire cast is pitch perfect, with Mireille Enos perhaps first among equals. I highly recommend it.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “Broadcast Media”