The 2010-2011 Grammy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Considering that I didn't even think that Arcade Fire would be nominated for Album of the Year, this has to constitute one of the more fantastic Grammy surprises in a while.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982 wrote:They gave Best New Artist to someone I had literally never heard of.
When they said Best New Artist, they weren't kidding! :p

I think Bieber should be grateful he didn't win. If he did, it would be all downhill from there.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I don't think that any of the acts up for Best New Artist will be commercially viable within five years. I probably would've gone with Mumford & Sons, but I could see how someone might make a legitimate argument for Justin Bieber winning it actually. (If we're just talking about commercial impact in the past year, that is. I don't know anything about him other than that one song.)

"Need You Now" wins Song and Record, but the album ends up losing to Arcade Fire in Album of the Year. I like "Need You Now" (the song), but it's basically the same song as Lee Ann Womack's "I May Hate Myself in the Morning" from about five years ago, and I don't quite understand why it gets so much more acclaim. But it's kind of a non-traditional country hit--this is a country song where a woman admits to having casual sex--so I can't say I have a problem with it doing so well. (Still, "The House That Built Me" is a better song.)

Patty Griffin got her first Grammy tonight; Patty Loveless got her first as a solo artist (she had won for a collaboration about fifteen years ago); Neil Young won his first musical Grammy (after winning Best Packaging last year).

I'll probably have more to say about the show tomorrow, or else I'll forget about it altogether.

Edited By dws1982 on 1297658053
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Me too...thankfully, it didn't go to Bieber...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Considering how awful some of the other "legends" sounded, I thought she did pretty well. Kris Kristofferson didn't sing, but he didn't seem well at all, unfortunately.

They gave Best New Artist to someone I had literally never heard of.

Edited By dws1982 on 1297655927
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Babs was either sick or is just not singing well these days.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Bob Dylan to join Grammys show
By blade
France24.com

Bob Dylan will perform at the Grammys this weekend, organizers said Thursday, joining Mick Jagger and Barbra Streisand as headline veterans at the music industry's annual awards show.

The folk-turned-rock music legend's inclusion was announced just three days before Sunday's mega bash in Los Angeles, which brings together rising stars with seasoned chart-toppers and industry veterans.

Dylan, appearing at the Grammys for his fifth time, will perform with country-tinged Brits Mumford and Son and folk-rock band the Avett Brothers in a special salute to acoustic music, organizers said.

In other new last-minute announcements, they said rapper Dr. Dre will perform with megastar Eminem, a frontrunner for Grammys glory with nominations in 10 categories at Sunday's show.

It will be Dr. Dre's first live television performance for more than a decade.

Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and teen sensation Justin Bieber are also on the star-studded roster of performers at the three-and-a-half-hour 53rd Grammys show.

While showcasing new talent, the glittering evening will also pay tribute to past greats including "The King of Rock 'N Soul" Solomon Burke, who died last year, and ailing soul legend Aretha Franklin.

Jagger will sing in the tribute for Burke, while Christina Aguilera and Florence and the Machine singer Florence Welch will stage a "Valentine's" and "get-well" tribute for Franklin, recovering from reported cancer surgery.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

The rap movement this year was extremely strong and I am glad it was recognized, specially in the figure of Eminem. I thought "Just the way you are" by Bruno Mars had all the ingredients to make the cut in the Record of the Year and also in the Song of the Year category. I had forgotten that his collaboration in B.o.B.´s Nothin' on You could cancelled himself as it was the case.

Eminem and Cee Lo Green were sure things... as sure as I thought Gaga would be.

I was shocked too by the little love shown to Gaga. She had an amazing year, being recognized as the saviour of music videos as an "art" form and with those ridiculously high sells. But guess this is a case of consumed fuel... by this time of year, yes, what most people might think is she has been overexposed (specially after her sweep at the MTvs). Bad Romance is a track that definitely deserved a spot in the Record of the Year category, specially cause it defined the year, for sure. Like it or not, in a few decades hearing that song would make us jump to 2010.

I'm happy for Mumford and Sons, a group that I really liked but never thought was goin´ to be mentioned by this guys. Muse, The Arcade Fire and The Black Keys are among personal favorites too. I thought Florence + The Machine could (and should) have done batter with this people. Dog Days Are Over (though not her/their best track) is a noteworthy song, very well done and has everything to be a deserving nominee for song and record of the year.

I did'nt know Ray LaMontagne, but I just heard his nominated song and I really liked it.

Empire State of Mind and Need you now are early predictions of mine for Record of the Year (as early as June I guess) and I'm happy about that. At the time I couldn't make my mind about which Eminem's song would get the main recognition between Not Afraid (the most likely) and Love the way you lie (the one I considered better/more commercial as a track). My other 2 spots were to Florence + The Machine and Gaga (Bad Romance). "Just the way you lie" and "Fuck you" were my runners-up.

In the end, thay have had worst nominees, this seems a fairly decent groupof nominees (with the inevitable wroncg choices like Bieber or else, and thankfully he didn't dominate the thing).

This award, as I always said, is just to have fun. It is impossible to take it too seriously. They have made great choices, specially in the remote past, but right now they help me to expand my knowledge in music with some out of radar nominees (Esperanza Spalding?).

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1291308725
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I would guess because she was nominated last year in Song and Record of the Year categories. I think Bad Romance is a better song than Poker Face, so I'm a bit surprised. I don't know if the Grammy voters like Lady Gaga. It's reminding me of how Madonna has been received by Grammy voters. Madonna didn't win her first Grammy until 1991, but that was for music video. Her first Grammy for actual recorded music was in 1998.

Lady Gaga did win two trophies last year, but I wonder sometimes if the Grammys resent the mainstream. They've been trying to get away from their stodgy reputations, but they seem to do so by going with rap and country artists these days.
Wesley Lovell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Glad that Rosanne Cash's great album The List got a nomination in the Best Americana Album category, although it really is a country album and should've been placed in that category.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The Grammy voters nominated Arcade Fire for Album of the Year? What, did their grandsons promise to mow their lawns in exchange?

I love that a song called "Fuck You" is nominated for Best Song. Sadly, it's not the one by Lily Allen. But I do enjoy the video. (Let me guess. Cee Lo Green's from Memphis?)

Lady Gaga, the best overexposed artist in years, isn't nominated for Best Song???

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1291305203
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees.

For those of you who still care.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

They've released the submissions list: