American Idol 6

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

If only Jared had sung "If You Really Love Me" in a lower key to START with, he would still be there, guys.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Sanjaya reminds me of the (once-young) ice performer, Emmanuel Sandhu, who was a beautiful uncorrupted youth once upon a time. His erratic performances, in life, and on the ice remind me of Sanjaya's. It is purely cooincidental that they are both of South Asian descent.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm starting to feel bad for Sanjaya. Whatever he may be, he doesn't appear to be delusional. He knows what's going on. He's aware of what most of the country is saying about him. He can sense that all three judges hate him. Every week he comes this close to getting kicked off and he knows it. How would you like to be in that position, particularly if you were seventeen? It wouldn't surprise me if next week he sang poorly on purpose so he could go home.

I don't think the show would necessarily improve with Sanjaya gone. There are so many bad singers in this sorry group bringing the show down. Sanjaya is at least entertaining.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The difference between Sanjaya and Kevin Covais is that Kevin has self-confidence and is aware of his role as a comic relief. Covais's cheeky, geeky personality makes up for his lack of vocal skills which makes him understandably endearing. Sanjaya doesn't seem to have that same personality apart from his apparently effeminate mannerisms.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Kaytodd is right: Sanjaya is not gay. He's a eunuch, a castrato (without the vocal training), a conversation piece. And definitely nonthreatening, as Damien said. He's the contestant whom many will love to hate, and whom others will vote for in order to keep pissing those people off. Simon is wrong: It's NOT a singing competition. It's a spectacle. Having said that, though, Melinda Doolittle can sho'nuff sing!
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Jared is gone!
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I love Blake Lewis, too. He's such a little fuckin' hottie. And I agree with you on Chris Richardson -- interesting style and non-ego driven performer. It seems like he just wants to make grandma happy!

Edited By flipp525 on 1173464375
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I am certainly no expert on the subject but I do not get the impression Sanjaya is gay. Nice kid, but he strikes me as so inexperienced, shy and callow that he has never had any experiences at all in the sexual arena. His current notoriety should give him plenty of opportunities. Good for him. I hope he enjoys himself.

I do not think he has a bad voice. My impression is that he does not yet know how to use it. Maybe he is too shy or lacks the confidence to project his voice and really perform. I regret that he beat out Sundance. I was looking forward to seeing him get better and better every week. One of my favorite of the guys. I do not think Sanjaya has the ability yet to get much better than he is now.

My favorite guy: Blake Lewis (one of the most original performers since I have been watching the show), r/u Chris Sligh

My favorite girl: Melinda Dillon (great voice and I am rooting for her), r/u: Gina Glocksen
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It was Kevin Colvais who received the apropos appellation of Chicken Little.

And Gibson wasn't in Chicken Little. Little was voiced by Zach Braff.

And when Sanjaya goes, the show could get good.

I like Chris Richardson. He's interesting in an off-beat kind of way, though not as cool as the fantastic Elliot Yamin.

The only boy I care about making it far is Blake and for obvious reason. He's quite talented and...mmmm...

Edited By OscarGuy on 1173455726
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sonic Youth wrote:But there's straight, then there's bi-, then gay, then Sanjaya. Sanjaya is in that exalted realm that's beyond gay. He's pre-op. He's the one the gay kids would beat up in high school.

OMG, that is so bad and so hilarious.

I think the bottom line is never underestimate the appeal of a cute teenager doing the hula.

Simon's lock of combined shock and disgust was priceless.

Historically, the hallmark of a teen idol (with Elvis the exception) was that he was cute and non-threatening (Van Johnson, Fabian, Tab Hunter [Sanjaya is a worse singer even than him, although of course singing for Tab was just a sideline to his acting career] ,Frankie Avalon, Rickey Nelson [except that he was damned talented], Bobby Rydell, Bobby Sherman, Leif Garrett, Shaun Cassidy, Corey Haim, et al) And Sanjaya is nothing if not non-threatening. 10- and 11-year old girls must be voting for him in droves.

Sundance was one of my favorites -- I guess second to Blake -- and with the right material he was amazing. I remember in the try-outs Simon predicted him as a finalist and called him better then Hicks, which is certainly true.

I wasn't crazy about Sabrina, but I fear the real reason she's gone is that she wasn't "pretty" enough. But I'm happy to see Jared gone -- his abilities did not match his cockiness. And glad Brandon made it -- I thought his version of "I Just Want To Celebrate" was terrific, and was given short shrift by the judges. Nice to see him and Melinda -- the back-uppers -- make it together.

And I love the sadism of making the losers sing seconds after being handed the most devastating news of their young lives.

Oh, that nerdy kid last year wasn't Marvin the Martian, he was some chicken in the goddamned cartoon whose name I forget with Herr-Goebbels-With-The-Stumpy-Little-Legs voicing the main character.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sonic Youth wrote:Or maybe the outsourced Indians manning the phones are are voting en masse.

lol, I'm Indian and I refuse to believe any of my peeps are voting for this talent-less kid. I don't want to beat up on him too much though because as you said, he's only 17.

And yeah, definitely gay. Gayer than Ryan even.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sonic Youth wrote:I didn't watch much AI last year, but I remember there was supposed to be a gawky kid nicknamed Marvin the Martian or something like that, who wasn't supposed to be very good but amused for a while. They intrigue until the novelty wears off.
Kevin Covais. He was definitely last year's wild card freak.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I don't mean to be mean, because he's a 17 year old teenager, and identities and personalities are not always fully formed at that age. But there's straight, then there's bi-, then gay, then Sanjaya. Sanjaya is in that exalted realm that's beyond gay. He's pre-op. He's the one the gay kids would beat up in high school.

But he's retaining interest because he's freaky, and isn't there always one freak every year that captures the imagination? I didn't watch much AI last year, but I remember there was supposed to be a gawky kid nicknamed Marvin the Martian or something like that, who wasn't supposed to be very good but amused for a while. They intrigue until the novelty wears off. Or maybe the outsourced Indians manning the phones are are voting en masse.

Is there a picture of his sister anywhere?

Sundance did nothing but scream last week. I didn't even realise he was singing "Jeremy" until later on.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Akash wrote:My prediction: Sanjaya is making it at least to top 5. Get used to it.
No. They'll invoke The Clause long before he gets that far. Sanjaya keeps people talking about the show going into the top twelve, and gets more people watching it, which is what they really want. Then they don't need him anymore, and after the first theme of the top twelve night proves completely beyond him, Simon will unload one of those "ghastly party" analogies, and he'll be gone week one or week two, before he makes the tour.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Neither Hailey nor Sanjaya belong in the top 12. That's a total crock of shit. Sundance's "Mustang Sally" last week really was good enough to make it in.

Edited By flipp525 on 1173411480

Return to “Broadcast Media”