Grammy Nominations

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

re Record of the Year: Urgh...can't stand 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkley. One of the most irritating and condescending songs I've heard in a long time. I just want to throw something at the radio everytime I hear it. If I had to choose a winner in this lack-lustre line-up, I'm going for Corinne Bailey Rae...
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Flipp 525, I haven't heard the song you mentioned so I can't comment on it. But Alicia Keys is one of the most overrated singer-songwriters of our time. I just cannot understand the critical adulation for her. I remember reading a hilarious article (Entertainment Weekly or Rolling Stone or one of those otherwise disposable rags) a few years back when Keys performed at the Grammys for her second album. Aimee Mann and 2 other musicians were commenting on the Grammys and when Keys performed, Mann made a wonderfully bitchy comment about the violins and the orchestra being "a cover for the lack of lyrical content." LOL. This from the woman who also referred to the hideous Phil Collins tune that won the Oscar over her beautiful work on Magnolia as "the cartoon monkey song."

Anyway, more lameness from the Grammys, who are apparently here every year to remind us that, yes indeed, the Oscars COULD be a lot worse!

Justin Timberlake? John Mayer?? James Blunt???

As they say on the equally stupid MTV: NEXT!
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I've been on an iTunes downloading frenzy for the past couple days. Has anyone heard Alicia Keys' unplugged version of The Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses" featuring Adam Levine? Wow. It's freakin' gorgeous. She has an incredible voice.

Also recommend Roy Buchanan's melancholy yet hopeful guitar rift in "Sweet Dreams" which closes The Departed.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

VanHelsing wrote:Quite sad that Rihanna didn't make it.
Wow, you're right! "S.O.S." was the single of the summer, afaic.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Right on, rudeboy!

And how can Daniel Powter be nominated for Best Male Vocal?! This guy CANNOT sing live! His "Bad Day" & Blunt's "You're Beautiful" are 2 very overplayed songs that don't deserve it.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Ugh... James Blunt? I honestly thought that was one musical horror that we Brits had kept to ourselves. Awful, awful man.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

I believe Hootie And The Blowfish won Best New Artist even though Alanis Morissette won many more Grammys in the same year. And I still don't understand why they love Sheryl Crow so much?!

-------

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:I see two possible things happening with record of the year. One, the Grammies bow to the pressure of fans who are still pissed at the chicks. Or Two, they laud them for standing up for their first amendment rights and weathering the controversy to remain a successful musical act.

I don't think that voting for something other than the Dixie Chicks in Record of the Year means that voters are bowing to the pressure of people who are still pissed. I think it might mean that voters think the others made better Records. (Which, in my opinion, they all did.)

I think "Crazy" is winning Record of The Year ("You're Beautiful" as spoiler), Chicks win Album, and "You're Beautiful" wins Song. I think Best New Artist is between Underwood, Blunt, and Corrine Bailey Rae. (And Imogen Heap is about as much of a New Artist as Shelby Lynne was when she was nominated here several years ago.)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I see two possible things happening with record of the year. One, the Grammies bow to the pressure of fans who are still pissed at the chicks. Or Two, they laud them for standing up for their first amendment rights and weathering the controversy to remain a successful musical act.

And I don't know why you would predict Blunt taking so many top prizes and not taking Best New Artist. He's as likely a winner as Underwood would be in a competition-less year. Which begs the question: will they split the popular vote and allow an underdog to creep in.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

For Best New Artist, my choice would be Rae. No Blunt or Underwood please. Timberlake is never good. His "My Love" is very irritating IMHO.

Quite sad that Rihanna didn't make it. Pussycat Dolls made it! And so glad for Natasha Bedingfield's vocal nomination. Her "Unwritten" should have garnered MORE nods.

-------

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Sabin wrote:A little surprised that 'Modern Times' didn't pick up more nominations. Can't stop listening to the album.

Now you mention it...another what the hell? Sure he won only nine years ago, but I'd take that album over Dixie Chicks any day.

- Justin Timberlake's "My Love" is an earth-shaking song, probably one of the best of the year: why is it relegated to the Rap/Sung Collaboration category?
- Wasn't this supposed to be Nelly Furtado's (second) breakout year? I can't believe at least "Promiscuous" was not nominated, considering the massive hit it was.
- And while we're on the thread: WHERE THE HELL IS TIMBALAND?? The man was unstoppable behind the controls, and what does he get? Muscled out by Howard Benson, producer of such venerable future masterpieces as the new Hoobastank, Three Days Grace and Less Than Jake albums. Gimme a bloody break!! His work on Justin's album alone surely merited a nod for himself.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

- It's promising to see the Grammies recognize Gnarls Barkley in the Album and Record categories. But for me, they lost any shade of respect when Steely Dan beat Eminem in 2001.
- Their Alternative Album category is decent, as usual lately. Thom Yorke's album is the best of the bunch, but they might save it for Radiohead's next album.
- Love the love Lupe Fiasco is getting in the Rap categories, I hope he wins all his nominations, but where in the hell is Ghostface?? Typical.
- "You're Beautiful" is the most soullessly vapid song written in a decade. It will do just great.
- Chris Brown is now a Grammy nominee. After me: WHAT THE $^%*?? Carrie Underwood seems the safe choice for the entire white-bread Midwest vote, plus she's American Idol "talent" done somewhat good.
- I might go out on a limb and say the Chilis will get recognition for having been around for so long. Their album is two discs of Anthony Kiedis's stupid Hollywood-rap and Frusciante playing every guitar pedal ever made, but the critics loved it for some reason. It will win.

Record of the Year
Be Without You - Mary J. Blige
* You're Beautiful - James Blunt
Not Ready to Make Nice - Dixie Chicks
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey Rae

Album of the Year
Taking the Long Way - Dixie Chicks
St. Elsewhere - Gnarls Barkley
Continuum - John Mayer
* Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
FutureSex/LoveSounds - Justin Timberlake

Song of the Year
Be Without You - Mary J. Blige
Jesus, Take the Wheel - Carrie Underwood
Not Ready to Make Nice - Dixie Chicks
Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey Rae
* You're Beautiful - James Blunt

Best New Artist
James Blunt
Chris Brown
Imogen Heap
Corinne Bailey Rae
* Carrie Underwood

Alternative Album
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
The Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics
* Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A little surprised that 'Modern Times' didn't pick up more nominations. Can't stop listening to the album.
"How's the despair?"
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Underwood is certainly going places nowadays. Wait till she makes a crossover pop album ala Shania Twain, then the whole world will be under her feet. Faith Hill can say buh-bye.

And for the record, I don't like Underwood. I find her extremely overrated. I'm not buying any of her albums. But I can understand how people find her as cute as a button like Reese Witherspoon. But still... BLAH!

-------

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I hope Neil Young can finally win a Grammy. He's up for three: Rock Solo, Rock Song and Rock Album. I don't listen to his music much, but it's a huge oversight that he's never won before.

On the other hand, I'll always support the Grammys giving Martina McBride another chance to be humiliated--she's up for Country Female this year. Miranda Lambert SHOULD win that one, but it'll probably go to Carrie Underwood's caterwauling about how much she loves Jesus.

Glad Rosanne Cash got nominated for Contemporary Folk/Americana Album; I guess she'll lose to Bob Dylan though.

Return to “Broadcast Media”