2008 Election Results Discussion: President

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Reports of riots going on in Arizona.

Middle-aged suburban gangs are wilding in the streets. There have been frequent sightings of trash fires and overturned vehicles. Apparently there's a standoff between police and a gang of thugs wearing McCain/Palin t-shirts and are holed up in the Knights of Columbus headquarters in Scottsdale.

Isolated incidents are also being reported in Danville, California and Greenwich, Connecticut. This is scary.

Fucking white people.

Congratulations, President-Elect Obama.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1225875768
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I'm so happy, hopeful and optimistic for you guys. Bleary eyed at work now after sitting up half the night.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

My dear American friends, congratulations to you all from the bottom of my heart.

(And may I apologize for Israel, the only place on earth other than Utah were the majority of people were rooting for McCain).

Edited By Uri on 1225866169
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

My congratulations, too, Americans.
MCain's concession was timely and gentlemanly; Obama's acceptance and embrace of it was dignified. A very interesting speech. Very King-like.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:I should have said largest popular vote since Johnson - or at least that's what CNN is saying.
I believe what Gergen was driving at -- he really garbled it -- was that Obama has achieved the strongest popular majority of any Democrat since Lyndon Johnson. Carter got just under 51%, and Clinton of course won under 50 thanks to Perot.

It's too early to know just what the popular vote margin will end up -- it's at 51-47 right now, but presumably alot of the outstanding 25% or so is from the West Coast, where Obama might add to the margin. (CA by itself could balloon the total) His EV total is also solid and may not be finished (they seem to have paused in making network calls, but, with the outstanding states, he could go as high as 378, Bill Clinton territory without a Perot to split things for him). This puts him in a much stronger position starting his presidency than anyone since the first Bush.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Congratulations, Americans!

Hopefully, Obama's presidency will restore honor and dignity to the United States that Bush and his cronies have so squandered in the past 8 years.

Can someone cradle criddic and rock him gently?

Edited By anonymous on 1225862434
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I should have said largest popular vote since Johnson - or at least that's what CNN is saying.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Didn't Clinton and Reagan both take many more electoral votes than Obama? Certainly Nixon and his 49 states!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The biggest landslide since Lyndon Johnson 44 years ago and just 4 years after the disgraceful re-election of George W. - amazing.

Very classy concession speech by John McCain.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Too bad his audience was mostly hostile.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:McCain is giving his concession speech right now.
I have to say, that was a fantastic speech. Much more in-line with the earlier John McCain who I loved so much in 2000.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Florida & Colorado have been called for Obama now.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

McCain is giving his concession speech right now.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

CNN has projected Obama as President of the United States!
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Second-to-Last Poll Closures (All that remains is Alaska)

Obama:
California
Hawaii
Oregon
Washington

McCain:
Idaho

Edited By OscarGuy on 1225857755
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Current Events”