The 2008 Fall Campaign

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Pat Buchanan? The West Wing? Really??
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

More than anything else I'm saddened by what John McCain has become. I still consider him an honorable man and I won't begin to denigrate him, but Jesus Christ! I don't care how many minutes, hours, days, weeks, months you string between these faux pas. Also, I'm not incredibly concerned about his skin cancer but look at how different he looks from frame to frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....rl=http

It's not necessarily the mistakes but how embarrassed and angry he seems after them. I'm wondering if the Republican party can find a way out of this campaign? They clearly didn't know how resistant this man would be in his old age to new programming. He looks like a robot that's going to spin around a few times and fall down. Who else can they turn to?

...let it be said that in 2000, Entertainment Weekly posted the following:

FAVORITE RECENT MOVIE
1) Al Gore - Being John Malkovich
2) George W. Bush - Austin Powers
3) Pat Buchanan - The Patriot (no idea what's more offensive...probably G.W.)

FAVORITE BOOK
1) Al Gore - The Red and the Black
2) George W. Bush - Lonesome Dove
3) Pat Buchanan - Shakespeare's works (liar)

FAVORITE MUSICIAN
1) Al Gore - The Beatles
2) George W. Bush - The Everly Brothers
3) Pat Buchanan - Patsy Cline

FAVORITE ACTOR
1) Al Gore - Tommy Lee Jones
2) George W. Bush - Jack Nicholson
3) Pat Buchanan - Paul Newman

FAVORITE RECENT TV SHOW
1) Al Gore - Futurama
2) George W. Bush - Baseball Tonight
3) Pat Buchanan - The West Wing

Edited By Sabin on 1218217195
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I haven't seen it, and I'm not questioning its poignancy...what I'm questioning is McCain's reference of the scene. It seems calculated to ensure that people know by reading the article that he's a God-loving Christian. He could have recited any similarly poignant scene in film history, but he chose one with a religious connection...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Have you seen Viva Zapata? That is a poignant scene and it was written by John Steinbeck who might have used Fanny Hill or The Story of O as the book Zapata's wife used to teach him to read but the Bible is a book she would more likely have had at her bedside.

McCain seems more knowledgeable about films in general than Obama. Obama's picks are fairly safe mainstream choices whereas McCain's seem more individualistic.

If taste in entertainment were the qualifier I might be more inclined to vote for McCain than Obama.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I was going to give McCain credit for his more astute answers then I read the Viva Zapata line and it made me annoyed
Wesley Lovell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Here's a little thing from Entertainment Weekly:

Obama Vs. McCain: The Great Presidential Pop Culture Debate

FIRST TIME AT THE MOVIES

BARACK OBAMA: Born Free: ''I don't remember the first movie, but I can tell you that one of the first was Born Free. I think I may have teared up at the end when they release [the lioness] Elsa. I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5.''

JOHN McCAIN: Bambi: ''When his mother was killed. Oh, yeah, I cried.''

FAVORITE ONSCREEN PRESIDENT

BARACK OBAMA: Jeff Bridges in The Contender: ''He was charming and essentially an honorable person, but there was a rogue about him.''

JOHN McCAIN: Dennis Haysbert in 24: ''He's fabulous. He's a guy who makes tough decisions, he takes charge, he's ready to sacrifice his interest on behalf of the interest of the country. My least favorite is the one [on 24] that got stabbed by his ex-wife.''

MOST RECENT MOVIE SEEN IN A THEATRE

BARACK OBAMA: Shrek the Third: ''Not as good as the original.''

JOHN McCAIN: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: ''A couple of weeks ago we went to see the new 
Indiana Jones movie. I enjoyed that so much. The old guy wins.''

FAVORITE TV SHOWS

BARACK OBAMA: M*A*S*H: ''I grew up in the golden age of sitcoms. I think M*A*S*H was probably my favorite. Michelle's favorite is The Dick Van Dyke Show, which she sometimes now watches [in reruns]. I have to say The Dick Van Dyke Show ranks right up there.''

JOHN McCAIN: Seinfeld: ''There are shows we [referring to his wife, Cindy] agree on. We like the reruns of Seinfeld. I really like Curb Your Enthusiasm. I kind of like Dexter, too, although it certainly has a macabre side to it. I'll tell you that Cindy likes Big Love — I haven't watched it much, but she enjoys that. And I like The Wire a lot, too. That's a great show.''

FAVORITE SUPERHERO

BARACK OBAMA: Spider-Man: ''The guys who have too many powers, like Superman, that always made me think they weren't really earning their superhero status. It's a little too easy. Whereas Spider-Man and Batman, they have some inner turmoil. They get knocked around a little bit.''

JOHN McCAIN: Batman: ''He does justice sometimes against insurmountable odds. And he doesn't make his good works known to a lot of people, so a lot of people think he's just a rich playboy.''

iPOD PLAYLIST

BARACK OBAMA: ''My staff teases me about how eclectic my tastes are. I've got Frank Sinatra, I've got Sheryl Crow, I've got John Coltrane, I've got Bob Dylan. There's Javanese flute music, African dance music, a lot of R&B.''

JOHN McCAIN: [In response to being asked to confirm he is an ABBA fan] ''Yes, I have to give a straight-talk answer. I'm also a Roy Orbison fan and a Linda Ronstadt fan. But I like Usher, too. I was on Saturday Night Live with him, got to see him perform, and I was very impressed with him.''

BETTER BRANDO?

BARACK OBAMA: Lists the first two Godfather movies as favorites on his Facebook page.

JOHN McCAIN: ''Elia Kazan made three movies with Marlon Brando. One was A Streetcar Named Desire, one was On the Waterfront, and the third was Viva Zapata! I think Zapata! was his best. I'm in the minority about this. But go back and watch the scene of his wedding night, with [Brando] and Jean Peters when she teaches him to read by taking out the Bible and reading it with him. That's a poignant scene.''
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Here's the funniest "political" ad I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pK6YzkO5Xw
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

remember when McCain said he wanted to run a respectful campaign based on the issues? he must be running scared. What an asshole.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Look at McCain go and sink further into obscurity and new lows of mudslinging...and who said that Paris and Britney were #2 and #3 world celebrities? I'd say Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are far more important international celebrities than Paris or Britney who are mostly American celebrities...then there's Bono and any number of other popular choices, but of course that wouldn't work too well for a campaign ad now would it?

Obama Hits Back At McCain's Celebrity Comparison
30 July 2008 12:07 PM, PDT

U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama has hit back at a new political advertisement approved by rival John McCain, comparing him to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton.

In the TV advert, Republican presidential candidate McCain depicts his Democratic opponent alongside pictures of the two troubled stars.

A narrator charges: "He's the biggest celebrity in the world, but is he ready to lead?"

But the political advert has infuriated Obama's team, who has responded to the promo in a newly released statement.

His campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor says: "On a day when major news organisations across the country are taking Senator McCain to task for a steady stream of false, negative attacks, his campaign has launched yet another. Or, as some might say, 'Oops! He did it again.'"

McCain's campaign manager Rick David explains: "What we decided to do is find the top three international celebrities in the world, and I would say from our indications, Britney and Paris came in second and third.

"It is not our campaign that is trying to make him into an international celebrity. It's his campaign... I don't know Paris Hilton and Britney Spears but they are international celebrities, so, you know, apples to apples."
Wesley Lovell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Apparently, John McCain wants the United States to go to war not just with Iran, but with Russia:

Russia hits back after McCain's G8 threat: Official
AFP

Published: Tuesday, July 29, 2008
MOSCOW - A top Russian diplomat on Tuesday dismissed U.S. presidential hopeful John McCain's threat to expel Russia from the G8, saying he should get himself elected first and brushing off the prospect of expulsion.

"We can afford to cut off relations with any of our partners if that's what they want . . . We're not interested in what McCain has to say. Let him become president first, then we'll listen to him," the diplomat told reporters.

"We want the American electorate to answer for the choice it will make . . . At the moment, they are turning Russia into a scapegoat for the mistakes of their foreign policy," said the diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The United States "is on the verge of an existential crisis," he added.

Referring to U.S. diplomacy over Iran's nuclear program, the diplomat also said that the current U.S. administration was not taking into account Moscow's point of view and only had a "with us or against us" mentality.

Russia is building Iran's first nuclear reactor at Bushehr.

Asked about his threat to exclude Russia from the Group of Eight industrialized nations if he wins the White House in November, McCain told ABC television in an interview last week: "We need to improve their behaviour."

Under Vladimir Putin's eight-year presidency, Russia had become "an autocracy," he added. He also said that Moscow was "blocking action in the United Nations Security Council on Iran."

"We want better Russian behaviour internationally, and we have every right to expect it," he said. "And I will do what I can to see that they reverse many of the behaviour patterns which have really been very unhelpful to peace in the world."

http://www.canada.com/topics....9c9a4a5
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

I guess Damien is rooting for Charlie Crist. :;):
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Eric wrote:Aargh! The "Pawlenty as VP" rumors refuse to die.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008....awlenty

Obama's numbers in Minnesota are still robust enough that I doubt this would swing our state and end our streak, but ...
And he got rid of his mullet.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Aargh! The "Pawlenty as VP" rumors refuse to die.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008....awlenty

Obama's numbers in Minnesota are still robust enough that I doubt this would swing our state and end our streak, but ...
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Greg wrote:I'm thinking that a darkhorse VP candidate for Obama is North Dakota Senator Kent Conrad. North Dakota, along with Montana and Alaska, is one of three small-fomerly-very-Republican states where Obama is polling surprisingly well. Also, Conrad voted against both Iraq wars and was one of the first U.S. Senators to endorse Obama.
Hmmm, very interesting idea, Greg. I like it.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I'm thinking that a darkhorse VP candidate for Obama is North Dakota Senator Kent Conrad. North Dakota, along with Montana and Alaska, is one of three small-fomerly-very-Republican states where Obama is polling surprisingly well. Also, Conrad voted against both Iraq wars and was one of the first U.S. Senators to endorse Obama.

Return to “Current Events”