2008 Election Results Discussion: Other

Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

There will be no special programming in Finland, but I checked the webpages of some Swedish television channels, and I see that three Swedish channels will cover the elections live, and two of them will also broadcast on the Internet. I guessed this, because Swedish press covers American politics pretty closely.

It's 2:15 AM in Finland, and although I'd like stay up and watch the coverage on BBC and CNN, I also have to go to work tomorrow. So I'll have to sleep awhile, but I'll try to wake up at half past five local time, three hours from now.

Edited By Heksagon on 1225844441
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I got to my polling place around 5 minutes til 8:00am. The polls had been open since 6:00 or 6:30, I believe. There were no lines, but we had been moved from our traditional berth in the church's lobby to the church's gym and what was normally two alphabetized lines was broken into four. There were quite a few more voting stations than ever before. We vote by Scantron, so there is ALWAYS a paper trail (Yay us!).

When I put my ballot in the reader, it beeped that something was wrong, a poll worker quickly came over and we pulled it out and put it through again and it took. We did quite well in the responsiveness department, but since it wasn't very busy, it probably won't match other voters' experiences.

I was voter number 451. Normally, when I go that early every voting period, even in the more busy elections, there aren't more than 100 or 200 votes already cast.

What kind of irony should I take from being voter 451?

Edited By OscarGuy on 1225813416
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

For the first time as far as i remember, 2 of the biggest tv channels in Greece interrupted their programme with a breaking news report, showing live Obama and his wife voting. Also tonight from midnight (Greece time) 4 greek tv channels will be covering the U.S. elections live, till the early hours of the next day. Everyone seems really interested in the elections and a recent poll in Greece showed that 93% of the greeks would prefer Obama as the next president (probably because of the Bush policy in my country's dispute with FYROM)

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1225811013
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here you can discuss all the incoming Election Results for Other Issues.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Current Events”