The Democratic National Convention

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I tuned in just in time to see Caroline Kennedy introduce the Ted Kennedy clip followed by his speech, then turned it off and back on at 7 P.M. PDT in time for Michelle Obama so I got the best of it without any of the boring stuff in-between.

I haven;t seen any analysis yet of how Michelle's speech went over in middle America but if it didn't click with people it's their fault, not hers, it hit all the notes it was supposed to.

The lack of fiery "throw the bums out" rhetoric was first mumbled by James Carville who is still brooding over Hillary's defeat. The CNN pundits then spent the rest of the time I was watching echoing his b.s.

The first night was supposed to be a "get to know the Obamas" night and accomplished what it set out to do. The fiery rhetoric will come tonight, tomorrow and Thursday. One thing the Dems learned from the Kerry defeat is that you can't be above the fray, you can;t just ignore the crap the Republican attack dogs put out and trust that the American public will be smart enough to discount it. It will come - just keep watching.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sad to say, my forecast for what convention coverage would be like has proven out. Wolf Blitzer last night actually said said something to the effect of, We want to talk to Clinton supporters -- especially the angry ones. Thank god Chuck Todd is around to keep it perspective: the PUMA folk are about as numerous and important as the Ron Paul crowd will be at the GOP convention, but they'll get ten times the attention from a press corps desperate to promote a fight.

Kennedy's speech was moving, but people are refraining from pointing out he's obviously lost a step or two -- that was not the rip-roaring Teddy I'm used to. I even had the sense he was communicating to delegates, Don't clap too long; I can't stand here forever. I really worry he's sicker than he's letting on.

The CNN grousing "not negative enough on McCain" is a) the opposite of what they'd be saying if the speeches had gone the other way ("Why are Democrats so angry?") and b) off-base in a year when the anti-GOP case is firmly made (check the 80% wrong-track poll numbers). The only thing Obama needs to do (as Reagan did in 1980) is prevent himself from being deemed completely unacceptable, and Michelle's speech, plus the girls' appearance (they had the country at "Hi, Daddy") went a long way to achieving that.

Meantime, McCain went on Jay Leno and actually used the POW thing as a rebuttal to the seven houses critique. He's quickly moving into Giuliani 9/11 territory -- turning what ought to be an invulnerable point into a laughing-stock from overuse.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Penelope wrote:I'll definitely watch Obama's speech Friday night.
That may be a little boring, figuring that the speech is Thursday night:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I don't know how much of the convention I will watch; I didn't watch last night (my mother and I started watching Pasolini's Mamma Roma, but she didn't care for it, so we stopped midway through...I'll finish watching it this afternoon). I'll definitely watch Obama's speech Friday night.

I've already decided that I'm voting for Obama--I mean, there's no way in hell that I'm voting for McCain. But I really do like Obama--he's the antithesis of Bush, thank Kate Winslet, so even if he's just a mediocre president, that will hopefully be enough to turn our country around onto a better path.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I watched the last hour. Michelle Obama's speech was fine, but I don't think that it had much substance. However, she did her job and made the Obama family seem more relatable. I still probably won't vote for Obama, but I don't think that I am as uneasy about him as I once was (that being said, I don't want to vote for McCain either. I'm a Bob Barr fan all the way).

On a side note, I had no idea that Michelle Obama's brother is the head coach of the Oregon State University men's basketball team. That's kind of cool.

Edited By MovieWes on 1219767385
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Ted Kennedy was the highlight, and what a beautiful speech. He is an amazing man. I also loved Ken Burns' video of him, which walked the fine line without becoming too maudlin.

I liked Michelle Obama's speech for what it was...nothing special, but a wonderful introduction to her family and a way of easing swing voters into their camp. The two girls stole the show from her, though:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I missed Ted Kennedy's speech, but I heard it was classic.

Michelle Obama is a wonderful speaker and gave a fantastically honest, at times humorous and all-around earnest speech that will swing several on-the-fence voters to Obama's camp.

On a shallow note, I loved the DNC 08' graphic design on the podium.

Edited By flipp525 on 1219764031
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, night one is on the record. I didn't see the first two hours, turned in just after 7 central. I was watching on CNN, so kept getting annoyed at how they kept talking over speeches (though, they thankfully cut back to commentary while Jim Leach was giving the worst, most boring speech I've ever heard).

They entirely ignored my home state senator Claire McCaskill's introduction of the Michelle Obama video, so I'm a little miffed about that (couldn't get the update to my browser downloaded in time to hear any of it).

For me, the highlight of the night was Ted Kennedy's speech. That man has got to be one of the best people on the planet. His litany of freedom discussion being capped by 'straight and gay' made me super happy.

But, the Michelle Obama speech was marvelous. The pundits at CNN had been lamenting that the night had not been an attack on Bush and McCain, but I think with the capping speech Michelle gave, it's probably best that it wasn't rancorous. I was thinking for a moment that with speeches like that, she could easily run for president herself.

Anyway, the one problem I have with the CNN comments about there not being enough anti-McCain rhetoric was that from the beginning, Obama has said this will be a campaign about issues and about a change of direction. He has said it won't be politics as usual. And while we are going to get that and we have even seen some of it from the Obama camp, I like that he's sticking to his guns in not making the first night of the convention an attack session. By humanizing himself and his family, he has brought himself into a working class mold and made himself infinitely more relateable than he might have otherwise.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Current Events”