Republicans, Primaries etc - the Dems have their own thread after all

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Hagee endorsement of McCain has been denounced by Catholic League president Bill Donohoe, who considers Hagee to be an anti-Catholic bigot.

A CRITIC IS CRITICIZED

Catholic Groups Angry at McCain Over Endorsement

HOUSTON -- The president of the Catholic League blasted John McCain on Thursday for accepting the endorsement of Texas evangelist John Hagee, calling the controversial pastor a bigot who has "waged an unrelenting war against the Catholic Church."

Hagee, who is known for his crusading support of Israel, backed McCain's presidential bid Wednesday, standing next to the senator at a hotel in San Antonio and calling McCain "a man of principle."

But Catholic League President Bill Donohue said in a statement Thursday that Hagee has written extensively in negative ways about the Catholic Church, "calling it 'The Great Whore,' an 'apostate church,' the 'anti-Christ,' and a 'false cult system.' "

"Senator Obama has repudiated the endorsement of Louis Farrakhan, another bigot. McCain should follow suit and retract his embrace of Hagee," Donohue said.

Catholics United, a national online group, also criticized McCain. "By receiving the endorsement of an outspoken critic of the Catholic Church, McCain once again demonstrates that he is willing to sell out his principles for a chance to win the Presidency," Chris Korzen, executive director of Catholics United, said in a statement. "We hope Senator McCain will take the principled position of publicly and unequivocally distancing himself from Pastor Hagee's anti-Catholic comments. Intolerance and bigotry do not belong in American politics."

The McCain campaign declined to comment on the statements.

-- Michael D. Shear

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn....31.html
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:Hagee's a nutball on the level of few others. He could very well be the anti-christ, himself.
Beware of false prophets.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Hagee's a nutball on the level of few others. He could very well be the anti-christ, himself.

And I have to listen to the ads for his television show periodically on television locally. it's rather annoying.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Greg wrote:In his book "Jerusalem Countdown: A Warning to the World," Hagee predicts Russian and Arab armies will invade Israel and be destroyed by God. Israel will then be the site of a battle between China and the West, which will be led by the anti-Christ in his role as head of the European Union. Jesus Christ will return to Earth in the final battle, he writes.[/i]

Sounds like the premise to a sci-fi movie. Passion of the Christ: Judgement Day
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

John McCain is now the Armageddon candidate. He's just been endorsed by John "End Times Woo Hoo" Hagee.

Pro-Israel evangelical leader endorses McCainBy Andy Sullivan
Feb 27, 2008

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain won the endorsement of Texas evangelical leader John Hagee on Wednesday, which could boost his standing among religious conservatives who have been reluctant to embrace the likely nominee.

Hagee, who heads a 19,000-member church in San Antonio, is best known for his outspoken support of Israel and writings on the Middle East, where he envisions a blood-soaked clash between East and West leading to the return of Jesus Christ.

"I'm very honored by Pastor John Hagee's endorsement today," McCain said at a news conference. "He has been the staunchest leader of our Christian evangelical movement in many areas, but especially, most especially, his close ties and advocacy for the freedom and independence of the state of Israel."

Hagee, standing beside the candidate, said he admired McCain's pro-Israel stance, commitment to nominate conservative judges and opposition to abortion.

"Victory is within our grasp because John McCain knows it's never wrong to do the right thing," Hagee said.

Christian conservatives are an important part of the Republican base, but many have so far been reluctant to support the Arizona senator.

Coast-to-coast primary victories on February 5 made McCain the all-but-certain Republican nominee, but many evangelicals continue to support rival Mike Huckabee, a Baptist preacher and former Arkansas governor. Several conservative Christian leaders have said they will not vote for McCain in November if he is the nominee.

McCain's support for the Iraq war and fierce criticism of Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won praise from Hagee, who has brought thousands of evangelical Christians to Washington to lobby on Israel's behalf.

Hagee has written that events in the Middle East point to an imminent apocalypse Christians should welcome.

In his book "Jerusalem Countdown: A Warning to the World," Hagee predicts Russian and Arab armies will invade Israel and be destroyed by God. Israel will then be the site of a battle between China and the West, which will be led by the anti-Christ in his role as head of the European Union. Jesus Christ will return to Earth in the final battle, he writes.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=4356741
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Heksagon wrote:Which brings up the question: why doesn't United States have a so-called universal health care system?
I'd love to just say "Turbo-Capitalism" but I know some of you will scoff at me. However, it really is that simple. Both parties -- Republicans and Democrats -- have been substantially bankrolled by the American Medical Association, The Pharmaceutical companies, and other medical special interest groups for years.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

criddic3 wrote:Socialized health care
Which brings up the question: why doesn't United States have a so-called universal health care system? Did Democrats just botch it themselves in the 60's when they introduced Medicare and whatever-that-one-was? Were these program introduced as a compromise, and if so, should Democrats just have waited until they could get through a better program? And did they even try to get rid of that employer-provided health care system?
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

criddic3 wrote:Socialized health care, abortion "rights," etc. Sorry, but there is such a thing as a political left and right.
Yes, it's called Europe. The fact that you think a political "left" really exists in this country further signals the death of leftist politics in America. So you should be relieved.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Akash wrote:Describing ANY Democratic Presidential candidate we've ever had (or any Democrat for that matter) as "too far left" only supports what I said before. So thanks.
As a conservative, most of what the Democratic candidates have stood for is too far left. It's all relative. Bill Clinton tried to present himself as a moderate, but the party's most beloved ideas are indeed "liberal." Socialized health care, abortion "rights," etc. Sorry, but there is such a thing as a political left and right.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Describing ANY Democratic Presidential candidate we've ever had (or any Democrat for that matter) as "too far left" only supports what I said before. So thanks.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Akash wrote:No offense criddic, but if you're what America considers a "moderate" then we're even more politically pathetic than I'd thought.
I think I would be considered a right-leaning moderate. I have voted for Democrats for the Senate and some local elections, and usually vote Republican for President. This is because I think that the Democrat candidates are too far-left to vote for them. Most of my positions socially are fairly conservative, but I don't always walk in lock-step with the party. In other words, I feel I am open-minded when voting.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Damien wrote:As anyone else noticed what a complete Stepford Wife Mrs. McCain seems to be. Garden-variety attractive blonde who never opens her mouth but just stands there smiling and clapping. Even her name, "Cindy," is uber Stepford.
On a related topic, I spent this past Sunday at my father's house. One of his televisions was tuned to the Fox News Channel the entire time I was there. He pointed out something funny I had never noticed before. He said almost every one of the female anchors on that channel has blonde hair in a particular style with pouty lips. I looked to see if that was the case while I was there. I laughed out loud. Every one of the anchors, as well as all of the remote reporters, I saw that day were blonde women with pouty lips.

I know Fox News has female reporters and anchors who are not blonde, including Art Neville's (keyboardist for the Neville Brothers) beautiful daughter Arthel Neville. But that was a funny experience to see the parade of blondes.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

As anyone else noticed what a complete Stepford Wife Mrs. McCain seems to be. Garden-variety attractive blonde who never opens her mouth but just stands there smiling and clapping. Even her name, "Cindy," is uber Stepford.

Edited By Damien on 1203475050
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

No offense criddic, but if you're what America considers a "moderate" then we're even more politically pathetic than I'd thought.

Edited By Akash on 1203332382
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

MovieWes wrote:

I'm sorry -- did hell just freeze over? ???
I always thought Ann Coulter was a nut. I'm a conservative, but something more of a moderate in how I vote. She is far, far right, which I think can lead to fanaticism. Too far to the left or right is the wrong approach to politics.

Return to “Current Events”