President Giuliani 2008? Wake me when it's over! - why do you guys think?

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:Politically, this was a very smart move I think. It shows that Guiliani is willing to not pander to the far right to get the nomination, since that would ultimately be a losing strategy in the 2008 election. If enough Republicans can overlook some disagreements and agree on certain issues with him, they'll realize he has the best chance of winning the general election next fall. Many conservatives do disagree with him on abortion, but it need not cost him the nomination if he can also effectively showcase things in his record that they do like.
I think what you meant to say is, "Worst President Ever gives me wood."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Politically, this was a very smart move I think. It shows that Guiliani is willing to not pander to the far right to get the nomination, since that would ultimately be a losing strategy in the 2008 election. If enough Republicans can overlook some disagreements and agree on certain issues with him, they'll realize he has the best chance of winning the general election next fall. Many conservatives do disagree with him on abortion, but it need not cost him the nomination if he can also effectively showcase things in his record that they do like.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Lest we forget, as if there weren't enough despicable things about Giuliani there is his adoration of the Yankees.

From the New York Daily News:

ROCKET BOO-STERS HIT RUDY;
GIULIANI JEERED FOR YANKEE PRIDE, NOT PRO-CHOICE

BY KATHLEEN LUCADAMO and DAVID SALTONSTALL
May 12th 2007

Rudy Giuliani headed to conservative Texas to reaffirm his pro-choice views and ended up getting booed yesterday - but not for what you might think.

Students at Houston Baptist University responded politely until the Republican presidential hopeful expressed affection for his beloved New York Yankees - who recently stole ace pitcher Roger Clemens from the Houston Astros.

"This is something you have to learn about me - I tell you what I think," said Giuliani after joking that a baby with an "I Love NY" T-shirt could use a Yankee cap, evoking boos from the Astros-loving crowd.

The former mayor was also clearer than he has been that he favors a woman's right to choose whether to have an abortion, even though he said he personally considers the practice to be "morally wrong."

"We have to leave it ultimately to the choice of a woman," Giuliani told the crowd of 450 students, faculty and business leaders. "I would not be open to removing the right."

The speech was unusual for Giuliani, who almost never raises the topic of abortion without first being prodded by a questioner.

But yesterday, after a week of being buffeted for his contradictory comment at last week's GOP presidential debate that it would be "okay" if the Supreme Court outlawed abortion and "okay" if it didn't, he seemed at pains to set the record straight - while acknowledging that most Republicans will likely disagree with him.

"You have a right to evaluate this in figuring out if you can support me, and at what level you can support me," Giuliani said. "Everybody's got to make a choice."

Giuliani also talked up his conservative credentials on tax cuts, crime and the war in Iraq in a speech that ultimately won him kudos from some in the crowd.

"I think he was wise and courageous to do it," said Robert Sloan, the university president.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

LOL. Excuse me but I've heard the former Mayor of NYC talking more about his pre-9/11 work than about the actual day. Mr. Hart is not being completely truthful here either. This administration is not the only one to miss some signs of what was coming, or not to able to put them together. Not only the previous administration, but have we all forgotten how information wasn't shared by the various agencies before 9/11? This administration changed that policy. Thank you very much, Mr. Hart.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

An Open Letter From Gary Hart To Satan:

Dear Mayor Giuliani:

Since you have based your presidential campaign almost exclusively on your reaction to terrorist attacks on New York City, and since you have recently accused Democrats of being on the defense against terrorism and therefore guilty of inviting more casualties, I have one question for you: Where were you on terrorism between January 31, 2001, and September 11th?

The first date was when the U.S. Commission on National Security/21st Century issued its final report warning, as did its previous reports, of the danger of terrorist attacks on America. The George W. Bush administration did nothing about these warnings and we lost 3,000 American lives. What did you do during those critical eight months? Where were you? Were you on the defensive, or were you even paying attention?

Before you qualify to criticize Democrats, Mr. Giuliani, you must account for your preparation of your city for these clearly predicted attacks. Tell us, please, what steps you took to make your city safer.

Until you do, then I strongly suggest you should keep your mouth shut about Democrats and terrorism.

You have not qualified to criticize others, let alone be president of the United States.

Gary Hart
(co-chair, U.S. Commission on National Security/21st Century)

P.S. You might ask these same questions of George W. Bush while you are trying to find a better reason to run for president.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Damien wrote:
criddic3 wrote:I completely disagree. Guiliani has a lot of supporters in this state.

From The Gothamist:
April 6, 2007

STILL BLUE: HILLARY LEADS RUDY IN NEW YORK
It's fun with poll numbers time! Quinnipiac University released results of a poll that shows Senator Hillary Clinton besting former Mayor Rudy Giuliani 50-42 in New York State. Here are the match-ups Quinnipiac asked about:

- Clinton beats Sen. John McCain 55-34 percent
- Giuliani ties Illinois Sen. Barack Obama 44 - 44 percent
- 2004 vice presidential candidate John Edwards tops Giuliani 47 - 43 percent;
- Clinton over former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney 61 - 26 percent;
- Obama beats McCain 47 - 36 percent;
- Edwards over McCain 52 - 34 percent;
- Obama beats Romney 53 - 23 percent;
- Edwards tops Romney 59 - 21 percent.
Quinnipiac's Polling Institute director Maurice Carroll noted that New York is "still a blue state" and wonders if Clinton and Giuliani will bother coming for the primary in February, since they'll do well. And if you're wondering about former Vice President Al Gore and Law & Order actor (and former Senator) Fred Thompson's chances, Caroll said Gore is tied with Obama while Thompson "is doing almost as well as multi-millionaire Mitt Romney."
I said he has plenty of supporters. I didn't say he'd have an easy win over Hilary in this state. No Republican ticket has won NY since Reagan and Bush. But if anyone could do it, I think Rudy has a shot.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From the New York Observer:

A DUBIOUS KIND OF LEADERSHIP

By: Joe Conason
Date: 4/16/2007

Before Rudolph W. Giuliani started to run for President, he specialized in writing books and delivering inspirational lectures on the topic of “leadership,” which has become the theme for his campaign. He is now telling America that in a time of war and terror, he is the leader we need. And he seems to be saying that the determination and strength of “the leader” matter more than where the leader wants to take us or whether he knows where he is going.

If that sounds like the same primitive mind-set that created our current disaster, then consider yourself forewarned. Mr. Giuliani is a fervent admirer of George W. Bush, whose election he considers a result of “divine guidance,” and a dauntless supporter of the war in Iraq, which resulted from the kind of leadership he advocates. Despite that highly unpopular position, the former New York City Mayor leads the Republican Presidential field in many polls.

Much of the Giuliani appeal is based on his admirable performance in the immediate aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks (a symbolic performance that benefited greatly from the stark contrast with a wavering and uncertain President Bush). Mr. Giuliani has profited personally and politically from the real leadership he provided then.

But his ambitions demand a more dispassionate examination of his claims, his ideas and his record.

Mr. Giuliani’s fundamental argument is that 9/11 endowed him with special qualifications for the job he is seeking. “What they say in Washington is not going to affect the fact that there are terrorists around the world that are planning to come here and kill us,” he told voters the other day in Iowa.

“It is something I understand better than anyone else running for president,” he continued, bouncing up and down on his toes as he spoke, according to The New York Times.

What exactly does he mean? If he is suggesting that he is a leader who should be trusted to make critical judgments about national security and foreign policy, there is plenty of evidence to contradict him.

During the months and years leading up to 9/11—as reporters Wayne Barrett and Dan Collins proved in Grand Illusion: The Untold Story of Rudy Giuliani and 9/11, their superb book debunking much of the “America’s Mayor” mythology—he made several decisions as Mayor that would later prove disastrous.

Against the advice of real experts, he stubbornly insisted on placing his immensely expensive emergency-command center in a World Trade Center building, although terrorists had struck there already and were determined to do so again. The command center went down with the rest of Ground Zero, leaving the Mayor and his aides to wander downtown as the buildings fell.

The city’s frantic efforts to cope with the disaster were lethally hindered by faulty communications equipment that the Giuliani administration had purchased—also against the advice of experts who knew better. Both of those fateful errors are more troubling when viewed against the backdrop of political and financial influences that probably distorted the decision-making process.

Yet while Mr. Giuliani is often wrong, he is never uncertain. That same attitude prevailed in his promotion of Bernard Kerik, a truly dubious character, first to corrections commissioner and then to police commissioner. By the time Mr. Giuliani appointed him to head the New York Police Department in 2000, evidence of Mr. Kerik’s ties with a mob-connected construction company had emerged in a background investigation. Mr. Kerik had obtained jobs for his brother and his best friend with that company, and he had interceded with city authorities on the firm’s behalf to win city contracts. Moreover, federal prosecutors had by then indicted Mr. Kerik’s friend, Lawrence Ray, along with a reputed Gambino crime-family figure.

In testimony before a Bronx grand jury investigating Mr. Kerik last year, Mr. Giuliani didn’t deny that he had been briefed on those issues before promoting his former bodyguard to the office of police commissioner. But he insisted that he didn’t remember that briefing—and noted that his investigators had “cleared” Mr. Kerik.

No doubt Mr. Giuliani’s failure of recall allowed him to enthusiastically recommend Mr. Kerik to President Bush as a suitable candidate for Secretary of Homeland Security in late 2004. That potentially ruinous choice was averted only because New York newspapers published timely exposés of Mr. Kerik’s embarrassing past. As for Mr. Giuliani, he says that he “assumed responsibility” for recommending Mr. Kerik, his old friend and business partner, which he termed “a mistake.”

While it is encouraging that he recognizes the error, there is a persistent flaw in Mr. Giuliani that makes such errors inevitable. He promoted Mr. Kerik because he preferred the loyal sycophant to William Bratton, the smart, independent and competent police commissioner whom he had fired. He ignored the threat of terrorism until it was too late, and arrogantly rejected the advice of those who knew more than he did.

Over the past six years, this brand of leadership has become all too familiar. We don’t need it any more. In fact, we never did.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:I completely disagree. Guiliani has a lot of supporters in this state.
From The Gothamist:
April 6, 2007

STILL BLUE: HILLARY LEADS RUDY IN NEW YORK
It's fun with poll numbers time! Quinnipiac University released results of a poll that shows Senator Hillary Clinton besting former Mayor Rudy Giuliani 50-42 in New York State. Here are the match-ups Quinnipiac asked about:

- Clinton beats Sen. John McCain 55-34 percent
- Giuliani ties Illinois Sen. Barack Obama 44 - 44 percent
- 2004 vice presidential candidate John Edwards tops Giuliani 47 - 43 percent;
- Clinton over former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney 61 - 26 percent;
- Obama beats McCain 47 - 36 percent;
- Edwards over McCain 52 - 34 percent;
- Obama beats Romney 53 - 23 percent;
- Edwards tops Romney 59 - 21 percent.
Quinnipiac's Polling Institute director Maurice Carroll noted that New York is "still a blue state" and wonders if Clinton and Giuliani will bother coming for the primary in February, since they'll do well. And if you're wondering about former Vice President Al Gore and Law & Order actor (and former Senator) Fred Thompson's chances, Caroll said Gore is tied with Obama while Thompson "is doing almost as well as multi-millionaire Mitt Romney."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Damien wrote:All a competitor need do is run an ad showing Giuliani gushing, "I thank God George Bush is our president" and whatever credibility he still has will completely dissipate.

Rudy Giuliani -- The More You Know Him, The More You Despise Him

And criddic, if you're gonna push the asshole's candidacy, you should at least learn to spell his name right.
But, Damien, Criddic's misspelling would be pronounced more like Ghouliani than his correct spelling, so let him keep doing it. :)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

All a competitor need do is run an ad showing Giuliani gushing, "I thank God George Bush is our president" and whatever credibility he still has will completely dissipate.

Rudy Giuliani -- The More You Know Him, The More You Despise Him

And criddic, if you're gonna push the asshole's candidacy, you should at least learn to spell his name right.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Damien wrote:
Akash wrote:Thanks for that insight Damien. So basically it's all Staten Island's fault. LOL. Staten Island is easily the culture void of New York.

But hey, given how easily New Yorkers were fooled into voting for him again, I'm glad I was too busy playing with legos to follow this.

Well, my friends and I thought that if you vote yes for Staten Island's secession then you shouldn't be able to vote for Mayor because why should you get to have a voice in who governs a place you hate so much that you want to leave. If that logic had been put into place, we would have been spared the demoralizing 8 year reign of Giuliani in NYC and the rest of the country -- other than political junkies -- would never have heard of him.
I completely disagree. Guiliani has a lot of supporters in this state. Granted, it will be a tough race if he runs against Hillary Clinton. But many people consider Guiliani the guy who "cleaned up the city." He fought the mob and crime, he made Times Square family friendly again, and he was credited with this by (of all people) Michael Eisner in a documentary aired on PBS about the history of Broadway.

The fact is that you are misrepresenting Guiliani's chances in this state. Sure, not everyone loves him, either in the Republican Party or in the Democratic Party, but the same is true of Hillary Clinton. When it comes down to it, I think New Yorkers will have a better connection to Guiliani than to Clinton. I could be wrong. They love Hillary among the mostly liberal-leaning NYC area, but the Democratic Party isn't as anamored of her as they were of Bill, or Barack Obama. She's going to be the consensus choice, because she can raise money with her name. Obama may become the v.p. choice, but I wonder whether that deal can be made if the campaign becomes bitter through the next year.

Guiliani doesn't have the same type of competition on the Republican side. McCain is unlikely to regain his stature among Republicans in time to take away from Guiliani. Romney is behind in so many polls and in fund-raising at this point I'd be surprised to see him win any of the primaries next spring. Fred Thompson is a colorful choice, and may wind up in position for v.p., but I don't at this point consider him a serious threat to Guiliani.

So sure, Guiliani has made many mistakes in his personal life and he definitely has his detractors politically, but I suspect there is enough there to pull him through the nomination and very possibly the general election as well. It won't be an easy campaign. None of the candidates have the appeal that President Bush had in either of his successful runs for the office. That may actually help some of them, considering the low approval ratings he has right now. Keep in mind, though, that one of the key reasons for his low approvals is an unpopular war and not his personal appeal, so that raises the question of whether people would respond to someone similarly strong on foreign policy but more moderate on social issues. I think this will be resolved in the next year as we see whether there is any major improvement in Iraq as a result of the surge taking place. If troops are withdrawn from major combat missions soon enough but with a measure of success, I think President Bush will be able to spend his last months with some sense of dignity in terms of polls and public perception. This not only helps Republicans, but in a strange way, Democrats, too. Success in Iraq, even moderate success, will be seen as a plus all around for everybody.

That aside, I think Guiliani is the Republican front-runner and will remain so. He can win this, don't fool yourself.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From the NY Daily News:

PRAISE YOUR WIFE, YOU SAY, RUDY? OH, PLEASE!

Former mayor up to old tricks again, trying to control everything his way

By MIKE LUPICA
DAILY NEWS COLUMNIST

Wednesday, April 4th 2007

Rudolph Giuliani is supposed to run for President as the tough guy coming over the hill, but looks more and more like every overhandled politician out there. It officially started last week with that silly performance he and his wife, Judith, gave for Barbara Walters, the kind usually reserved for candidates in trouble, not as far ahead in the polls as Giuliani currently is.

But apparently he can't have the American people thinking he was going around with just anybody while still married to wife No. 2, Donna Hanover. Hanover, as you probably recall, found out their marriage was over while watching television. Later she read quotes from Giuliani's B-list divorce lawyer, Raoul Felder, about how she, Ms. Hanover, was going to have to be dragged howling from Gracie Mansion like a "stuck pig."

In retrospect you can see how this wasn't as presidential, say, as a state dinner.

It is probably why Giuliani has gone on offense lately, with Walters and everybody else, wanting to make it perfectly clear that he wasn't moving on after wife No. 2 for just anybody. Oh, no. He was doing it for the closest thing he could find to Mother Teresa.

Here is what Giuliani had to say about his wife on Opening Day at Yankee Stadium:

"My wife is a remarkable woman. She has spent her life in medicine, medical science. She has spent her life saving lives. I've actually seen her act as a nurse and do Heimlich maneuvers and help people who have fainted. And this goes back 30 to 35 years.

"She was doing the same thing then - she was trying to figure out how do you save life and get to the point where you have better surgical procedures. She did the same thing with infectious diseases. She did the same thing with my own prostate cancer. She is a wonderful nurse, a woman who really cares about people.

"When I stand here, I think of the Twin Towers Fund she was on the board of; she helped organize it. She was at my side throughout Sept. 11. She was covered in soot."

Soot-covered?

The only thing that would make the whole thing better for me is if it turns out she was soot- covered WHILE doing the Heimlich maneuver.

He wasn't trying to be funny with any of this, of course. He was just being Giuliani. There are going to be plenty of problems for him as he moves forward, whatever his poll numbers are right now. He should try not to make his own wife one of them.

Understand something: The two of them didn't turn up accidentally on "20/20" with Barbara Walters. He wanted to be there and he wanted her to be there. Then once they were there, in this incredibly public setting, both Mr. and Mrs. Giuliani both acted as if they got to decide what was private and what wasn't, starting with how they met.

Now she's on the front page of the newspapers and some of it isn't very nice and her husband doesn't like it. Giuliani seems to be under the impression that he is still running everything the way he tried to run the city once. It doesn't work that way when the audience is a lot bigger than the one "2-0/20" gets on Friday nights.

But then Giuliani has always wanted things both ways, all along, before and after he became a hero mayor for doing his job in those first days after Sept. 11.

He wants to talk about what hedid at Ground Zero, and nottalk about the toxic quality ofair there. He wants to talk about everything he did after theplanes hit the buildings anddoesn't want to talk about his original command bunker being blown up along with everything else at the World Trade Center, or about the lack of decent radio communication for his firefighters.

He wants to talk to Barbara Walters about single-handedly cleaning up crime the way he single-handedly saved the city, but can't recall - Giuliani, the former prosecutor, trying to sell this - whether he might have been told about alleged mob ties to Bernie Kerik before Kerik became his handpicked police commissioner.

So it is the same now with Giuliani as it was when he was mayor: He's right, you're wrong. Back then, if he didn't like criticism about the shooting death of Patrick Dorismond by an off-duty cop, he releases Dorismond's sealed juvenile delinquency record. Now if you say something about Giuliani's wife, he doesn't just defend her, he acts as if the only thing that prevented her from curing all cancer was falling hard for him.

As always, he decides what the conversation is, about Sept. 11, about his own record, about his marriages and children and love life. He makes a big show these days of admitting vaguely to personal flaws, but you have to say they are generally small enough to fit under his Yankee cap.

Now it turns out that people thinking he is some kind of living saint isn't enough for him. He has to turn his wife into one, too. Hillary Clinton only tried to fix health care. Rudy says his wife IS health care.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Greg wrote:Also, Giuliani got elected in 1984.
Actually it was 1993, a year before the nationwide Democratic disaster.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Also, Giuliani got elected in 1994. That was the year that the Democrats were so dipirited and their turnout was so low that the Republicans took over everything. Dubya got elected governor of Texas that year, defeating Ann Richards even though she had relatively high approval ratings.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:Thanks for that insight Damien. So basically it's all Staten Island's fault. LOL. Staten Island is easily the culture void of New York.

But hey, given how easily New Yorkers were fooled into voting for him again, I'm glad I was too busy playing with legos to follow this.
Well, my friends and I thought that if you vote yes for Staten Island's secession then you shouldn't be able to vote for Mayor because why should you get to have a voice in who governs a place you hate so much that you want to leave. If that logic had been put into place, we would have been spared the demoralizing 8 year reign of Giuliani in NYC and the rest of the country -- other than political junkies -- would never have heard of him.

Return to “Current Events”