Post by Sonic Youth »

Rep. Wexler is calling for hearings.

http://www.wexlerwantshearings.com/
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

And you have to factor in that some Dems would not vote for impeachment, even if the leadership dropped its "impeachment is off the table" stance. So a simple majority might not be as easy as you suggest, Oscarguy.

As it stands, the Dem leadership has pledged to keep impeachment off the table, for fear that such an action would be seen as taking up valuable time to do their jobs, which they are already having trouble doing without such a huge (and futile) undertaking.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Doesn't matter if it COULD happen.

It WON'T happen.

Dems just confirmed Mukasey and reports say they're all set to hand bush a blank check for war funding for the next six months. These Democrats are also going to impeach Cheney?

They're not doing it.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Actually, the Dems COULD impeach him. Simple majority in the house. Which isn't all that difficult when you think about it. Removal from office won't happen because the Senate would have to approve the removal by a 3/4 majority (or 2/3, I can't remember which now)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Akash wrote:Criddic, you are -- and I can't believe I've never said this to you before -- a giant butt nugget.

"butt nugget" That's a new one.

Um, Oscarguy, I think you know as well as I do that the Dems don't have the votes to impeach Cheney. It will not embarrass the Republicans to force the Dems to say what they mean and do what they say. The whole idea of impeaching the VP is ridiculous and that is why they (the dems) voted en masse not to further the Kucinich bill. But by forcing them to listen to what Kucinich has to say and actually having the crazy debate, the Dems will have to admit how dumb the idea really is. That embarrasses them much more than the Republicans.

Edited By criddic3 on 1194759466
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And quite frankly, I hope the Republicans get screwed by their decision. It would be more embarrassing if by forcing the Dems to vote that the VP were actually impeached, further tainting this nightmare of an administration.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Criddic, you are -- and I can't believe I've never said this to you before -- a giant butt nugget.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Akash wrote:
criddic3 wrote:I'm laughing about this. Looks like the Dems wanted to brush this under the rug by a motion to table, or kill, the resolution, but the Republicans are gonna force a debate on the actual motion to impeach. Remember, the leadership said they would not consider impeachment. This is going to be agonizing for the Democrats. They didn't want this to happen.
They just wanted to put it out there and kill it to make a point.

Be careful what you wish for.

Thank you Captain Obvious. We all knew the Dems didn't really want this so don't go chuckling to yourself too much. What some of us are praising Kucinich for is his recalcitrance. Good for him for having principles and for not acting like the other cowards in his sell-out, middling moderate, backstabbing party.

And I've told you before. You've already used up your wishes.
Principles? The guy is running for the Presidential nomination from his party. What better way to gain some support than to be the guy who "took on the VP" with a resolution that his colleagues wanted to kill?

I was laughing because of what the Republicans did in forcing the thing to move forward. Most of the Dems voted to table the resolution, while the Republicans vote to move it forward so the truth could be out there. That's embarrassing for Democrats. Kucinich should not be hailed as a great man for this. He did it to raise his profile, to the embarrassment of his party.

Furthermore, the "articles of impeachment" that he brought forth are complete falsehoods, unproven accusations and malicious conspiracy theories. You cannot impeach a president on that. Sorry, but if there was anything substantial in what he accuses the VP of, he'd have been impeached by now. They've been in power for almost a year. Most of his claims have been debated for several years now, even during the 2004 elections, and not one shred of proof or evidence has emerged. The quotes he cites in his statement could have been, and were, uttered by at least a dozen Congressmen and senators from both sides of the aisle before the war.

This is nothing but a blatant attempt to give him a boost in his campaign. Good news is that this will never get out of comittee alive.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:And to make matters worse, someone stole my $180 law book today so now I have to but another one. I probably should stop spending my money on wine every week.

Damien, wait, are you saying Dennis and Batshit Crazy had an affair?? Really?
Damn I forgot how expensive law books were.

I do remember reading something during the 2004 campaign about Shirl and Dennis having an affair.

And why is it that the candidates who have the guts to speak the truth and not cower to campaign consultants get marginalized as kooks?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

It's a conspiracy Sonic, and yeah I was like "What the fuck?" too.

And to make matters worse, someone stole my $180 law book today so now I have to but another one. I probably should stop spending my money on wine every week.

Damien, wait, are you saying Dennis and Batshit Crazy had an affair?? Really?

Edited By Akash on 1194504365
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

When Kucinich ran in 2004, I was listed on his website and campaign literature as one of his "Celebrity Supporters" LOL (along with Elliot Gould, Howard Zinn, Hector Elizondo, Willie Nelson, Barbara Ehrenreich, Ed Asner, Linda Blair, Grace Paley, Tim Reynolds, Alice Walker, Ed Begley, Jr., Tanya Roberts. Marianne Williamson, James Cromwel, Pete Seeger, Roy Scheider, Professor Irwin Corey, Ani DeFranco , Joaquin Phoenix and my girl Michele Shocked.
(I wonder whom Shirley MacLaine supported last time -- she is godmother to one of his kids and I think they had an affair.)

Edited By Damien on 1194479614
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Were you able to find on his website where to send money? It took me five minutes to find it. No wonder he's not making any money. That is the most poorly designed website I've ever seen. All the other candidates have sites designed so that your eye is drawn to the "contribute" link. Kucinich's draws your eye AWAY from it.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sonic Youth wrote:I'm sending Kucinich $50.
Great minds Sonic! I just sent him $50 from my stipend. I totally can't afford it (I hate being poor!) but he's worth it.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:You know, this could turn around and bite the Republicans in the ass. Who's to say that with it on the table that the Dems won't rally for support and actually push it forward.

Anybody that's been following the news for the past ten months, that's who.

Jesus, I can't believe you haven't noticed the Dems wouldn't have single set of dick and balls between them even if Hillary wore a strap-on. They're useless.

I'm sending Kucinich $50.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Greg wrote:By the way, what was it in Speaker Of The House Pelosi's mind that thought it would be bad politics to impeach someone with a less than 20% approval rating. That's one smooth move Nancy.
She's an odious sell out, just like so many of them. I'm sorry I was ever happy about her rise to Speaker of the House last year.

Oh and she's also a Democrat which almost always translates to spineless.

Return to “Current Events”