Election '08

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

You would think that among those 9 clowns running, the Repugnants would find one who was awful enough to support.

From the AP:
POLL: GOP GOES FOR "NONE OF THE ABOVE"

July 17, 2007
WASHINGTON - A new poll reveals a clear leader in the Republican presidential race: nobody.

The AP-Ipsos survey shows nearly a quarter of Republicans are unwilling to back any of the top candidates -- Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, John McCain or Mitt Romney. And no one has emerged as the front-runner among evangelicals.

On the other hand, the Democratic race remains static. Hillary Rodham Clinton still holds a sizable lead over Barack Obama, even among black and Hispanic voters.

Giuliani's popularity continues to drop. His support is down to 21 percent, off six points from June and 14 points since March.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I knew there was something I liked about this guy.

Ron Paul warns of staged terror attack
Politico.com

Republican presidential candidate, Rep. Ron Paul, said the country is in "great danger" of the U.S. government staging a terrorist attack or a Gulf of Tonkin style provocation, as the war in Iraq continues to deteriorate.

The Texas congressman offered no specifics nor mentioned President Bush by name, but he clearly insinuated that the administration would not be above staging an incident to revive flagging support.

"We're in danger in many ways," Paul said on the Alex Jones radio show. "The attack on our civil liberties here at home, the foreign policy that's in shambles and our obligations overseas and commitment which endangers our troops and our national defense."

Paul was asked to respond to comments by anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan that the U.S. is in danger of a staged terror attack or a provocation of an enemy similar to the Gulf of Tonkin incident in 1964 before the Vietnam War.

During the radio interview, Paul said the government was conducting "an orchestrated effort to blame the Iranians for everything that has gone wrong in Iraq."

The comments come as several prominent terrorism experts have warned the U.S. is facing an increased risk of attack this summer. Earlier this week, in an interview with the Chicago Tribune, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said he had a "gut feeling" the U.S. would be attacked again.

The remark angered some Democrats, who criticized Chertoff for being too vague. [No shit.] And some pundits seized on his remarks, saying the vague warnings were meant only to revive flagging support for the war in Iraq and Bush’s larger war against terrorism.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Glad to oblige.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

criddic3 wrote:It's worth a try, but many will see that Sheehan can't ever really shun the spotlight.
Well, at least now you finally share something in common with someone on the left.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Greg wrote:Sheehan considers challenge to Pelosi By ANGELA K. BROWN, Associated Press Writer
Sun Jul 8, 7:40 PM ET

CRAWFORD, Texas - Cindy Sheehan, the soldier's mother who galvanized the anti-war movement, said Sunday that she plans to seek House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's congressional seat unless she introduces articles of impeachment against President Bush in the next two weeks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070708/ap_on_el_ho/cindy_sheehan_pelosi

----------------------------

GO CINDY!!
Sheehan knows that Pelosi promised not to bring impeachment to the table, and assumes that she can beat Pelosi in an election. It's worth a try, but many will see that Sheehan can't ever really shun the spotlight.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sheehan considers challenge to Pelosi By ANGELA K. BROWN, Associated Press Writer
Sun Jul 8, 7:40 PM ET

CRAWFORD, Texas - Cindy Sheehan, the soldier's mother who galvanized the anti-war movement, said Sunday that she plans to seek House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's congressional seat unless she introduces articles of impeachment against President Bush in the next two weeks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070708/ap_on_el_ho/cindy_sheehan_pelosi

----------------------------

GO CINDY!!
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

JOHN FUND ON THE TRAIL

Those Were the Days
Will nostalgia sweep the Clintons back into the White House?

Monday, July 9, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

ASPEN, Colo.--There's no doubt who was the star at this year's Aspen Institute Ideas Festival. Bill Clinton strode onto the stage of a huge music tent Saturday and received a standing ovation from thousands of well-heeled, overwhelmingly liberal festival attendees. The Clinton magic clearly still works for many people. The question is whether it can rub off on the candidacy of Hillary Clinton, the mention of whose name elicited a much more muted response from the crowd.

Mr. Clinton, who sported a large "Hillary 2008" label pin, made it clear that he has "switched positions" with his wife. "I'm doing the kind of things Hillary did for 20 years" he said, and claimed he was happy to attend to board meetings of his foundation while he was in Aspen, where his wife was holding campaign fund-raisers. "I hope she wins," he said. "I think it'll be good for the country."

When onstage interviewer Rick Stengel, editor of Time magazine, asked Mr. Clinton what he wanted to be called if he became the first husband of a president, he replied, "My Scottish friends suggested 'First Laddy,' " which would "be easiest to relate" to his predecessor. (Laura Bush is famous for having brought her Scottish terrier, Barney, to the White House.)

The thrust of Mr. Clinton's remarks was that the world was doing a good job of building a global economy, but falling short on the infrastructure for a "global society." He said he strongly preferred the term "interdependence" to "globalization" because the former term better describes a world linked through culture, cooperation and the sharing of information. "Interdependence means divorce is not an option; it means we can't get away from each other," he said to audience laughter.

Introduced as "a one-man NGO," Mr. Clinton made a spirited call for the American people to support nongovernmental organizations both at home and abroad. "We have a rich tradition of public service that doesn't involve government in this country," Mr. Clinton said, recalling that Benjamin Franklin established America's first volunteer fire department, in Philadelphia, 40 years before the American Revolution. Americans remain among the world's most generous people, with 30% of all U.S. households donating to Hurricane Katrina relief, half of them pledging support over the Internet.

Mr. Clinton noted the explosive growth of humanitarian and civic organizations since 1993, when he became president. The number of NGOs has doubled, from 500,000 to one million in the U.S. In Russia the count has grown from zero to 400,000. In China there are more than 250,000 such groups registered with the government and likely two or three times as many that haven't registered. India has half a million NGOs.

Despite Mr. Clinton's opposition to many of President Bush's policies, he went out of his way to praise the White House's efforts in fighting AIDS and malaria in Africa and singled out Mr. Bush for having the courage to challenge American farmers by trying to scrap laws mandating that U.S. food aid must be grown in the U.S. and three-quarters of it must be shipped on U.S.-flagged ships.

But Mr. Clinton's serenity was upset by journalist Elizabeth Drew, who asked him about the 9/11 Commission's conclusion he could have pursued Osama bin Laden more vigorously. The flare-up was reminiscent of Mr. Clinton's blow-up last year during an interview with Chris Wallace of "Fox News Sunday." The former president accused Mr. Wallace of doing a "hit job."
"Congratulations on speaking the talking points of the Republican National Committee," Mr. Clinton snapped at Ms. Drew. "Let's just go through the facts." Mr. Clinton emphasized as he asserted that "I did not turn down one request for use of force" against bin Laden. "Did I fail to get him? Yes. Did I try? Yes."

Moving on to Iraq, Mr. Clinton said he did not put it in the category of countries that were "dangerous" to America today. "It's a tragedy, with uncertain consequences" if the U.S. fails in its mission there. He noted that 250,000 people died in civil wars in Bosnia in the 1990s, even though that area had only a fourth the population of Iraq. Nonetheless, Mr. Clinton said he thought the U.S. had "no choice but to withdraw some troops this year" from Iraq, though he remained vague on what should be done after that.

There is clearly a great deal of Clinton nostalgia in the country, and the audience clearly agreed with Aspen Institute president Walter Isaacson's assertion that Mr. Clinton had presided over a time of prosperity when "American power and prestige was used only for good in the world," The implication was that U.S. troops and influence are being used for ill today.
But several people in the audience noted that there were still some shadows over the Clinton legacy. One leading liberal philanthropist told me he just couldn't imagine installing Hillary Clinton in the White House, given that it would mean the country would have alternated two dynastic families, the Bushes and the Clintons, in the White House for over 24 years or more.

"Did you notice the laughter the audience had when Clinton said he did a lot of his serious reading in bed, 'among other things'?" a Clinton administration veteran noted. "It was an innocent remark but some people couldn't help taking it a certain way." Indeed, it doesn't take long to recall that the eight years of the Clintons in power represented a roller coaster ride of scandals and surprises that voters may prefer not to repeat.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Nader is a fucking idiot...does he want another Bush-style presidency? What a fucknut...thankfully everybody knows his tune and like in the last election, he's not going to be spoiler...hopefully.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Oh, dear Heavens.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Guess who may run?

It's enough to make me buy from General Motors.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I wish to thank you all who discuss politics here. I follow what Canada says about the world, and seldom listen to or watch US news. I do, however follow Drudge , Huffington and Buzzflash on line, and once in awhile , some other story.
Well, now the DA from Law and Order is ahead in the GOP polls. What a dismal bunch of GOP presidential hopefuls.
My person feeling is Obama or Edwards would make far more credible presidential nominees for the Democrats than Hillary. I like what I read about them, particularly Obama, and if George Clooney has the hots for him, I'm with him.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

What a surprise. (not.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Latest results in the Gallup poll:

McCain 46 McCain 44 McCain 46
Clinton 49 Edwards 50 Obama 48

Giuliani 46 Giuliani 45 Giuliani 45
Clinton 50 Edwards 50 Obama 50

Romney 40 Romney 32 Romney 36
Clinton 53 Edwards 61 Obama 57
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “Current Events”