Bye, bye Lieberman!

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Anyone who hadn't already caught on to Lieberman's "it's all about me" attitude should certainly have seen the light after that unbelievable "concession" speech -- which essentially amounted to "I'm disappointed the voters were so stupid".

Alot of that 48% Lieberman got last night was institutional/inertial -- the reason incumbents are so difficult to dislodge. Much of that -- union & interest groups, party backing -- will be gone in a fortnight; in fact, most of the leading party lights, who stuck with Joe through yesterday, have come out unequivocally for Lamont today. (Rahm Emmanuel described him as Bush's love child)

Which leaves Joe with the option of mostly going for GOP support -- which he'd have to do very carefully to avoid losing the remainder of his Dem backing. George Stephanopoulos is reporting, via "a Lieberman staffer", that Karl Rove has been in touch, saying "the boss wants to help". That someone on Lieberman's staff let such a report out to the mainstream press indicates at least some of the people who worked for him are appalled by this indie run and want to squelch it.

But Joe is in it for Joe alone, and I'm not sure even the prospect of humiliation is enough to drive him out. Someone at another site said Joe took the wrong lesson from the 2000 election: he needs to understand, the loser only gets the prize when the Supreme Court's in his pocket.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The thing that surprises me is that it took Connecticut dems this long to get Lieberman's number. I had him figured for a self-serving jerk when he hedged his bets by running for both V.P. and Senator six years ago.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The poll number only shows who they wanted for the Dem nomination. Most dems will rally behind the Dem nominee, especially if they are as aggravated with Lieberman as I would be.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I think it's entirely possible for Lieberman to win as an independent candidate, but it won't be easy. However, capturing 48% in the Democratic Primary is an indication that not all Democrats have warmed to Lamont. The downside to that argument is that several people who backed Lieberman in the primaries have declared they will not back him as an independent (but that won't necessarily stop them from making anonymous donations to him in secret or somthing like that).
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Since Lieberman is running as an independent, what will this mean for the final election? Are the voters united enough behind Lamont to elect him anyway, or could Lieberman siphon enough votes away to throw the election towards the Republican candidate? Or does Lieberman have a chance at winning?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I didn't think it was possible, but Lieberman's speech made him more of an as shole than ever before. Accusing Ned of partisanship, when he has never once called Karl Rove or Bush or DeLay or criddic on it shows what a loathesome self-serving son-of-a-bitch he is. He's pathetic. And a pompous bag of shitt. And evil. And should just accept facts and take that job as a comentator on Fox News (along with his brother=in-arms, Dennis Miller).

“For the sake of our state, our country and my party, I cannot, I will not let this result stand.” How about for the sake of your fuucking ego, asshole.

Sonic, I happily donated money to Lamont's campaign.
==================

Shane about Cynthia McKinney, though.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And he's playing the Rolling Stones "Start Me Up" as his campaign song! :D

Can Joe make a dead man cum?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The Connecticut Democratic party bears witness to Ned Lamontentum. (Catchy?)

I spoke to my mom at 10:55, and predicted that the Lieb was waiting until the top of the eleven o'clock news to announce his second candidacy. And he is. I called it.

I was never crazy about Lamont. But after that despicable ploy Lieberman pulled accusing Lamont of crashing that website (with no proof whatsoever), I'm now backing him all the way. What a ####ing piece of #### Joe is, after all! I'd send Lamont money to spite Lieberman... except it's pretty stupid to send a campaign contribution to a millionaire.

--------

Lieberman concedes to Lamont, vows to run in November
Senator says he will run as an 'independent Democrat'

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Sen. Joseph Lieberman conceded to cable executive Ned Lamont in the Democratic primary for the Connecticut Senate nomination Tuesday night but vowed to run as an "independent Democrat" this fall.

With 94 percent of the precincts reporting, Lamont led Lieberman 52 percent to 48 percent, according to The Associated Press.

Lieberman, who was former Vice President Al Gore's running mate in 2000, is seeking a fourth Senate term. Lamont, a former Greenwich city councilman, is running his first statewide campaign.

After telling his supporters that he had called Lamont to congratulate him on his victory, Lieberman said "We've just finished the first half and the Lamont team is ahead, but, in the second half, our team -- Team Connecticut -- is going to surge forward to victory in November"

The three-term senator said he was disappointed by the results but said he was more disappointed in how the primary campaign was conducted.

"The old politics of partisan polarization won today. For the sake of our state, our country and my party, and I cannot, I will not let this result stand."

Lieberman had threatened to run as an independent in November's if he failed to claim the party's nomination, further enraging party activists and many Web commentators, who have boosted Lamont.

A source close to Lieberman told CNN that Lieberman has the 7,500 signatures necessary to get on the ballot as an independent candidate.

Voter turnout was high in the high-profile primary fight, according to Connecticut Secretary of State Susan Bysiewicz. Bysiewicz predicted Tuesday that turnout for the primary could reach 45 percent to 50 percent, nearly double the normal turnout for a primary election.

Bysiewicz's office said turnout was high, compared to previous elections, in Greenwich -- Lamont's hometown -- as well as Hartford, Danbury and New Briton.

New Briton and Hartford are considered liberal areas, with votes in the 2004 presidential election for Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry exceeding two-thirds in both cities.

Both Lieberman's and Lamont's campaigns claimed that high voter turnout would help their chances for victory.

Meanwhile, Rep. Cynthia McKinney -- a vehement critic of President Bush who recently avoided charges in a March scuffle with a Capitol Police officer -- is seeking to hold her seat in a runoff against Hank Johnson, a former county commissioner in her suburban Atlanta district.

With 66 percent of precincts reporting, Johnson led McKinney 58 percent to 42 percent, according to Georgia's Secretary of State.

In Missouri, as expected, Claire McCaskill won the Democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate and will face Republican Sen. Jim Talent this fall, according to the AP.

Primaries are also taking place in Colorado and Michigan, but the Democratic race in Connecticut is the most closely watched of Tuesday's races.

All eyes on Connecticut

Lieberman was an unsuccessful contender for the Democratic presidential nod in 2004. He has been blasted by many Democrats in Connecticut and nationwide not only for his outspoken support of the war in Iraq, but also for his criticism of fellow Democrats who disagree. (Watch Lieberman's fans and foes among the voters -- 1:36)

"I think too often, Sen. Lieberman goes out of his way to undermine the Democratic message," Lamont said Monday.

In a state President Bush lost by a 10-point spread in 2004, Lieberman's critics have crystallized their complaint in a single image: Bush's embrace of Lieberman before the 2005 State of the Union address. Lamont boosters have mocked the scene with a pickup-mounted replica of the scene, dubbed "The Kiss."

Lieberman calls accusations that he has been a "cheerleader" for Bush "ridiculous." Former President Bill Clinton, former Georgia Sen. Max Cleland and fellow Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd have campaigned for him in recent weeks.

"I have opposed most of what this president has asked us to do in Congress," he said. "And secondly, that somehow I am not a real Democrat? It is outrageous."

Lieberman trailed Lamont by 6 percentage points in a Quinnipiac University poll out Monday -- about half the spread he faced the previous week.

However, despite the recent polling, Lieberman told campaign supporters that he expects to be the winner at the end of the evening.

"I gotta tell you, I have a very good feeling as we begin this primary day," Lieberman said. "This primary is not a referendum on George Bush. This is a choice they have between their senator, Joe Lieberman, and a guy coming up without any experience, running on one issue and running a negative campaign."

On Tuesday afternoon, Lieberman's campaign accused Lamont's of "dirty politics" on Tuesday after a denial-of-service attack knocked out the Lieberman campaign Web site. Lieberman spokesman Smith compared the hack to the kind of tactics used by Karl Rove, Bush's top political adviser. (Full Story)

"There is no place for these Rovian tactics in Democratic politics, and we demand that our opponent calls off his supporters and their online attack dogs," Smith said.

The Lamont campaign has denied any involvement.

When asked by reporters at a campaign stop Tuesday if he or his campaign was responsible for the incident, Lamont said, "No, it's just another scurrilous charge."

Liz Dupont-Diehl, a Lamont spokeswoman, told CNN that the campaign "denounced and condemned" the action, and she denied any involvement by Lamont or members of his campaign. She added that the Lamont campaign did not know who was behind the incident.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From the Chicago Tribune:

LIEBERMAN TRAILING BADLY IN POLSS; TURNAROUND SEEMS UNLIKELY
By Jill Zuckman
Tribune national correspondent
August 6, 2006

HAMPTON, Conn. -- Tom and Carolyn Gaines have known and admired Sen. Joseph Lieberman since he was a teenager in Stamford.

Lieberman, 64, was a camp counselor to their son, Gary. He came over to the house for dinners. And Tom Gaines, an architect and founder of the Connecticut ACLU, recommended that his own lawyer hire Lieberman after he graduated from Yale law school, predicting that the young man would be governor of Connecticut someday.

"He was outstanding," said Tom, describing Lieberman as a leader even in high school. "Charming," added Carolyn, a writer who once penned a column for the old Chicago Daily Times.

But despite the long connection between the Gaineses and Connecticut's junior senator, the bond of trust and admiration has broken. On Tuesday, like many other Democrats here, Tom and Carolyn Gaines plan to vote for Ned Lamont, the Greenwich businessman.

The most recent Quinnipiac University poll shows Lieberman trailing Lamont badly, with Lamont at 54 percent to 41 percent for the three-term senator.

Without the support of even his longtime friends, it seems unlikely that Lieberman can turn around his political fortunes in the final hours of the campaign.

To be sure, the Gaineses' decision to break with Lieberman was not an easy one. "It's very sad, very sad," said Tom.

For months, they agonized, unhappy with Lieberman's support for the war in Iraq. "It's the worst blunder in American history in my time," said Tom, who is 83.

But even that was not enough to push the couple into the Lamont camp.

Then came Lieberman's announcement that he would run for re-election as an independent if he loses the Democratic primary. The Gaineses were horrified, fearing that Lieberman's decision would split the party, throw Connecticut's seat to a Republican and deny Democrats the opportunity to take control of the Senate—though past polls have indicated Lieberman would win a three-way race.

"He's sacrificing American history for his own ambition," said Tom. "The worst thing possible is for Republicans to get that seat. I just can't live with that. It's immoral."

Tom and Carolyn sent their friend a letter, informing him of their decision to abandon him.

"We have been in your camp since your attorney general days—even after your position on the Iraq War with which we disagree," the letter said. "Now you have blackmailed us—vote for you in the primary or you will split the party and a Republican will win."

They urged Lieberman to "renounce your threat now."

Hampton is a bucolic town in the Northeast corner of the state known for its bustling farms in the pre-Revolutionary War days. Today, it appears to be a hotbed of Democratic activism.

At the annual town meeting earlier this year, residents voted to censure President Bush for his wiretapping program, a move instigated by Tom Gaines.

Most recently, the Democratic town committee voted unanimously to condemn Lieberman for his decision to run as an independent and to urge him to support the winner of the Democratic primary.

Along Main Street, with its perfectly maintained 18th Century homes and an old-fashioned general store, Lamont signs are in abundance. There is not a one for Lieberman.

While the war seems to be the top cause for voter unhappiness with Lieberman, there were hints of irritation in the past.

"We resent the fact he ran for senator and vice president at the same time," said Carolyn, who is also 83, referring to Lieberman's 2000 bid for both offices.

And Tom noted that Lieberman said little that was critical about Bush's plan to partially privatize Social Security at the time it was proposed. Now he's sending glossy direct mail declaring that he "stood up to the Republican attacks on Social Security, strongly opposing the Bush privatization plan."

"I don't think it's straightforward," said Tom.

He shakes his head and wonders when it was that Lieberman started to change politically, casting votes that seemed more conservative than Democratic. Until then, he said, he felt politically in sync with a senator who supported civil rights and environmental protection.

In the staircase of their 150-year-old farmhouse, a wall of photographs showcases their family. And there is Lieberman, when he was attorney general, with their daughter, Andrea, just after swearing her into his office as a staff attorney.

"Relatives as far away as California said, 'What, you're going to vote against Joe?'" said Carolyn.

Neither Tom nor Carolyn said they expect a response to their letter.

jzuckman@tribune.com
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sonic Youth wrote:My mother just took a drive around Connecticut this weekend. She said the Vote for Lieberman signs outnumbered the Vote for Lamont signs.
Hmmm, my Mom said that in her neck of the woods (Litchfield County, the northwestern part of the State) the Lamont signs outnumber the Liebermans by about a 20 to 1 ratio.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:If you'd seen Lamont on the Colbert Report this week, I think you'd be less likely to consider him a lightweight. He came off far better/less geeky than he had in the debate. He's a perfectly reasonable alternative to Lieberman, who, whatever his record on certain issues like the one you cite, has been, above all, the GOP's go-to guy for knocking his own party on Fox News.
And among those "issues" - or rather, past acheivements - is Lieberman fighting and succeeding to prevent a submarine base closure in New London, Connecticut and saving thousands of jobs. Not all the Democrats are going to abandon him, precisely for reasons like these.

My mother just took a drive around Connecticut this weekend. She said the Vote for Lieberman signs outnumbered the Vote for Lamont signs.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I have to disagree, Sonic. Though I'm not yet counting any chickens about the primary (the '04 exit polls fiasco has made me cautious till final results are in), I think if Lamont does win by the kind of margin now suggested, Lieberman'll acquire the stench of loser, and see most his party support slip away overnight (the Clintons have already made clear they're supporting the primary winner, and many are suggesting Bill's appearance campaigning for Joe makes him the ideal messenger to tell Joe it's time to go). I also think it's problematic for Lieberman to campaign relying on GOP votes; the more he does that, the more he alienates independents, who significantly loathe Bush. I think Lamont winning the primary is a huge step toward his becoming senator.

If you'd seen Lamont on the Colbert Report this week, I think you'd be less likely to consider him a lightweight. He came off far better/less geeky than he had in the debate. He's a perfectly reasonable alternative to Lieberman, who, whatever his record on certain issues like the one you cite, has been, above all, the GOP's go-to guy for knocking his own party on Fox News.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

His hard-core supporters. Well, how many is that? A lot more than there were Democrats who voted for Bush, I'll guarantee you. And everyone seems to forget taking the Republican voters into account. They're going to flock to Leiberman's support, given that their candidate is proving to be as corrupt and insane as Katherine Harris (as just as unwilling to step down, depsite GOP requests). Ultimately, this isn't good so for the Dems, despite the momentary excitement.

I wish I could join in the festivities, but I can't entirely hate Lieberman. When my union struck against Yale two years ago, he came out in our support, and I'm very grateful for that. And I watched the debate on TV, and wasn't very impressed with Lamont. He's a lightweight, and he has almost no political experience. (And in the event he does win, he better wear sunglasses when he speaks on the Senate floor. His eyes are freaky.) I'm delighted that Leiberman is getting a small come-uppance. I just wish it was against a different candidate.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sonic Youth wrote:Get over your excitement. This primary is a cute show, but Lieberman's the next senator anyway.

nah. I think Lieberman's coming out of this primary so scarred and diminished in stature that only his hard-core supporters will back him. He has become bitter and angry, and the fact that he refuses to acknowledge the will of the people by insisting on running as an independent has left people disgusted. (In a switch, the new Quinnipiac poll (Ned over Shmoe 54-41%), indicates that Lamont now is leading among those with only a high school education and blue-collar workers, groups earlier in Lieberman's corner.)

Plus, the level of animosity in Connecticut towards Bush is huge, and despite three terms of being a (crappy) senator, Lieberman's image now is simply as a Bush apologist.

Interestingly, this calls to mind the first campaign I was ever involved in, back in 1970. My guy, the anti-war candidate Joe Duffy, won the Democrativ primary over the incumbent, corrupt old school hack, Tom Dodd. Dodd insisted on running as an independent, thus splitting the Democratic vote and alowing the Republican -- Lowell Weicker -- to win. Weicker was the one Lieberman defeated in 1988. Although a Republican, Weicker was much more liberal than Lieberman.

Re: the Quinnipiac poll, I always wondered who was querried in polls, cause neither I nor anyone I know ever was. Well, my Mom was called up for this poll -- another vote for Lamont, of course.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Get over your excitement. This primary is a cute show, but Lieberman's the next senator anyway.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Current Events”