All About Eve

1895-1999
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I love All About Eve. I'd argue that it's "talkiness" is one of the best things about it; dialogue so sharp, abrasive, and on-point, it's almost a character in and of itself. The image of the "many Eve's" at the film's close is deliciously observant. A classic.

And I love the look on Celeste Holm's face when she realizes she's been played by Eve.

Edited By flipp525 on 1187400192
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Haven't seen this film since about 1952, so we rented it last weekend.
What has happened to us? Yes, we agreed with the some of the Oscars awarded and nominated( except for Celeste Holm--spent much time talking over people's shoulders!), and were respectful of the period in which this was released( social, political, economic etc.), but God! It's very long and extremely...talky only word for it--little action, much verbiage, and STAGED within an inch of its life. How films have changed---for the better, no matter what we say about the State Of Films.

This definitely was Bette Davis' film, of course, and what you see is what you get: lack of growth of Margot within the film, little development of her character. Baxter, the waif, is so blancmange here, that you cannot possibly see her winning ANY stage award. No life to her. Sanders was one-dimensional, we thought. Look at today's Supporting Actors in comparison.

I know it's like comparing a 2007 Lincoln with a fifty-seven- year old one. One might appreciate the detail in the older car, and it has way more personality. And arent't things supposed to be better with age?( I mean, look at US!)

Not so here, we thought--and we have been following films and their development ever since we were kids. I guess, like some experience, it's better not to relive it again.( And 100% on rottentomatoes--the critics ( how many saw it first-run?)would never dare criticize a classic!)

BTW, we have seen many older films( 40-50-60-70)again and again, and they hold up for us. I am concerned about watching the 40s dramas again, though.

Please, someone, say something really good about All About Eve.

Return to “The First Century”