Final 2007 Predictions

1998 through 2007
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Okay, sure. It's 2008, but still... someone's gonna start that contest any second and I can't wait until then. (I'm going to be incommunicado for a bit.)

My second-to-final predictions:

Picture

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Juno
*No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Into the Wild/Michael Clayton

It would seem those last two do have industry love behind them. But I'm not willing to give up my "Diving Bell" prediction yet.

Director

Paul Thomas Anderson
*Coen Bros.
Sean Penn
Julien Schnabel
David Cronenberg/Tony Gilroy

The 'fifth slot' depends on Michael Clayton's Best Picture inclusion. Sean Penn's getting in regardless. Hey, I SAID these weren't final.

Lead Actor

George Clooney
*Daniel Day Lewis
Ryan Gosling
Emile Hirsch
Viggo Mortenson

Lead Actress

Cate Blanchett
*Julie Christie
Marion Cotillard
Angelina Jolie
Ellen Page

Supporting Actor

Casey Affleck
*Javier Bardem
Hal Holbrook
Tommy Lee Jones
Tom Wilkinson

Supporting Actress

Cate Blanchett
Ruby Dee
Catherine Keener
*Amy Ryan
Tilda Swinton

Original Screenplay

*Juno
Knocked Up**
Lars and the Real Girl
Michael Clayton
The Savages

**Actually, it will be Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. But I did bring up the possibility last winter, and it'd be beyond faboo were I to be so far-reaching in my prescience.

Adapted Screenplay

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Into the Wild
*No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Zodiac

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1200092996
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

LMAO!
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Wyoming has a Tourism Board??
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Yes, and every example of "perfect" cinematography should look like a 5-cent postcard bought from an outpost of the Wyoming Tourism Board.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, every $100 million movie should look like it cost 5 bucks to make.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

The irony would be that one of the most evocative examples of cinematography last year was Miami Vice.
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

OscarGuy wrote:I wonder if the recent surge in cinematographical distinctiveness is a rebellion by DPs against the advent/revolution of digital cinema. They may be churning out their best work just to avoid the desire by some studios to take the cheaper route.

I think you're spot on about this. Although I think it's high time DPs start turning their magic toward digital cinema. It's not that the digital camera can't do amazing things; this kind of camera just needs a good artist at the helm.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Eric wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:2005
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
THE NEW WORLD

I find it hard to believe anyone would rank anything above The New World in this category (and I didn't even like the movie all that much), but in particular not Brokeback.

believe me, i go back and forth between those two all the time. everytime i look at my list of oscar picks, i switch which one is on top (no pun intended).

THE NEW WORLD has amazing cinematography. its use of light and shadow were quite amazing.

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN has some of the most beautiful composition and framing i have seen in a film in a very long time. the cinematography does not come off well on t.v., but on the big screen it was gorgeous. a good example of many perfect shots is the scene where heath gets in a fight with the drunks at the 4th of july picnic, right after he has punched the guys and the fireworks go off -- the shot is amazing. it is used as the final image in the trailer.

i loved CHILDREN OF MEN's cinematography because it had some of the best camera movement i had ever seen. movement is good, but sometimes planting the camera in just the right spot should be admired as well. it is certainly why i think ZODIAC had some of the best cinematography of the year. fincher usually moves his camera around in very flashy ways (through key holes in PANIC ROOM), but this time he had the good sense to let the camera sit still in just the right place and perfectly frame the actors and action. TOKYO STORY is another great example of perfect framing and composition.

i like a film with pretty colors as much as the next person, but MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, AMISTAD, THE PATRIOT, etc. can flood the screen with too much color sometimes. it reminds me of being in a candy store, it may look pretty but does not have much substance to it.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1198787864
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Which, to the movie's eternal debit, it did not.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

The only way Brokeback could be described as painterly was if Ang Lee's canvas had included a cum shot.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:
Penelope wrote:Oh, please; it has nothing whatsoever with being a "fanboy"--honestly, how can you compare the almost painterly exquisite cinematography of Brokeback with the dull, lifeless cinematography of The New World?

Thanks Pen. I feel a lot better now about your inability to appreciate Sondheim :p
Well, you can only imagine what I think of people who do "appreciate" Sondheim.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Okri wrote:Hilary Swank will haunt you in your sleep.
Speaking of which, I had a most interesting dream last night: I saw There Will Be Blood--it was amazing; certainly hope the actually movie can compare to my dream!

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Penelope wrote:Oh, please; it has nothing whatsoever with being a "fanboy"--honestly, how can you compare the almost painterly exquisite cinematography of Brokeback with the dull, lifeless cinematography of The New World?
Thanks Pen. I feel a lot better now about your inability to appreciate Sondheim :p
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Hilary Swank will haunt you in your sleep.

Return to “The 8th Decade”