Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Thanks, Magilla and Precious Doll, for the info. Magilla, that site seems to have a number of the long-unavailable-to-me Oscar candidates (A Medal for Benny, Death of a Salesman, Private Worlds just at first glance). Would that I had the spare cash right now to buy them.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Still catching up on TV series and films I have to review for my DVD report, but a couple of others that I've watched in the last few days:

Saraband for Dead Lovers (1948) Basil Dearden 6/10

Flora Robson is the whole show here as she proves Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Playing a German countess whose lover (Stewart Granger) dumps her for Joan Greenwood, the wife of the England's future George I (Peter Bull), she plots the lovers' demise. Historically questionable, but largely accurate though rather bloodless. Ripe for updating.

This Can't Be Love (1994) Anthony Harvey 5/10

Made-for-TV movie was one of Katharine Hepburn's last. Plying a retired actress pretty much like herself, she's involved in a plot by down at heel Anthony Quinn, a former co-star who was secretly married to her for five days fifty years earlier. He needs her sign-off on his pending memoirs. Slight but engaging.

Quinn did not become a star until late in his career so the alleged pairing of the two fifty years earlier hardly makes sense, but then all the major stars of the era who might actually have been Hepburn's co-stars then, Tracy, Grant, Boyer, Fonda, Olivier, were gone.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

The Hangover

7/10

Very funny. :)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

The Heartbreak Kid (1972) - Elaine May

7/10

Very entertaining and well written. Julie Berlin and Eddie Albert were very solid and deserved their oscar nominarions. And Cybill Sheperd was really hot back in her day.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Mister Tee wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:They Knew What They Wanted (1940) Garson Kanin 4/10
Precious, where did you find this film? I've been on the lookout for it for 30 years.
From DaaVeeDee. It's a Spainish disc with forced English subtitles. Picture and sound quality are satisfactory but any major Hollywood studio would produce a much better print.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I got it from Ashfault's two years ago. It's not listed on their website but I would think they would still have it.

http://www.ashfaultsclassicmovies.com/productlist.html
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Precious Doll wrote:They Knew What They Wanted (1940) Garson Kanin 4/10
Precious, where did you find this film? I've been on the lookout for it for 30 years.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Lady with a Lamp (1951) Herbert Wilcox 6/10

Eden Lake (2008) James Watkins 1/10

They Knew What They Wanted (1940) Garson Kanin 4/10

Bad Biology (2008) Frank Henenlotter 4/10

The Hangover (2009) Todd Phillips 5/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Adoration - I quite liked it. Imperfect, but I'd watch it again.

Summer Hour/ L'heure D'ete - Also liked it.

Both are 8/10
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Fanny och Alexander - 8/10 (way different than I expected it to be! way better actually.)

Rebecca - 10/10 (just like films should be)

17 again - 6/10 (unexpectedly very funny)

The Lion in Winter - 8/10 (the film lacks some kind of narrative strength)

A House with a View to the Sea - 7/10 (beautiful)

Rent - The Final Performance - 8/10 (being a fan...)

Mutiny on the Bounty ('35) - 8/10 (interesting)

Hamlet ('48) - 8/10 (how people can have any doubt about Olivier's sexual orientation after watching this film? A great film)
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

He's Just Not That Into You - 5/10

I watched this with my wife the other night. It was charming and humorous at some points, but it seems like it tries to hard to be Allen-esque. Stereotypes are bountiful.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Happy Go Lucky (2008; Mike Leigh) 9/10

Absolutely wonderful film, with an irresistably perfect performance by Sally Hawkins.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Okri wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Still Walking (2008) Hirokazu Kore-eda 10/10

I don't think I've ever seen Precious grade a film so strongly. I like Kore-eda quite a bit, so this just shoots my expectations up.

I hope fans of Kore-eda get a chance to see this wonderful film. It's been doing the festival circuit for the last 12 months and does not appear to have a distributor in either the U.S. or the U.K. but it's bound to turn up sometime in the future.

It's somewhat in the tradition of Ozu's family drama's and for my money as great as the best of them. It has some contemporary humor (there is a joke about ebay) and an act of cruelty that's all too human. The acting from the ensemble is flawless (You, who played the neglectful mother in Nobody Knows way my favorite as a very mother from that one in this) though there are no with big 'look at me' emotional moments for the actors, just quiet observation that nevertheless packs an emotional punch.

I wouldn't want to see a frame of this film changed. My partner felt the same way.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1245056005
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Precious Doll wrote:Still Walking (2008) Hirokazu Kore-eda 10/10
I don't think I've ever seen Precious grade a film so strongly. I like Kore-eda quite a bit, so this just shoots my expectations up.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

North Country (2005) - Niki Caro

6/10

Return to “Other Film Discussions”