Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien, where did you see The Story of Three Loves? IMDb doesn't even show it ever being released on VHS.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

a Fool There Was (Frank Powell, 1915)

A rare surviving Theda Bara film, and noteworthy as the one that made her a star, but the tight range of shooting techniques combined with intertitles that do little to advance the story (based on a familiar stage play of the time, which was in turn based on a famous Rudyard Kipling poem) make it difficult to appreciate except in isolated moments. Bara's acting exhibits some real surprise and power at times, but her role is not as large as one would hope- most of the film focuses on the victims of her 'vampirism'.

3/10
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Story Of Three Loves

10/10

Extraordinary, just extraordinary. Over the top romanticism as good as it gets. And the film -- which consists of three vignettes -- conveys the unique enchantment of falling in love as well as any other picture I can think of. Vincente Minnelli, of course, but who knew Gottfried Reinhardt?. Penelope, you're gonna love this. Great performances by Moira Shearer, James Mason, Ricky Nelson, Ethel Barrymore, Farley Granger, Kirk Douglas and Pier Angeli. It's not just uninihibitedly romantic, it's very intelligent and sophisticated as well. And it possesses a tender heart. All this and Rachmaninov, too.

Edited By Damien on 1226731072
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Fort Saganne (1984; Alain Corneau) 7/10

French soldier Gérard Depardieu rises through the ranks by displaying valor and ingenuity in battling Algerian rebels (and other French officers) just before WWI, while getting caught up in a romantic triangle involving heiress Sophie Marceau and free-thinking journalist Catherine Deneuve. Leisurely paced epic boasts gorgeous cinematography by Bruno Nuytten and an exquisite score by Philippe Sarde (both marvelously preserved in this DVD), but despite incidental moments of power, film as a whole is rather inert. I'm probably being too lenient, but you know I'm a sucker for French historical epics.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:
Reza wrote:
Penelope wrote:Those Who Love Me Can Take the Train (1998; Patrice Chéreau) 6/10

What is with movies like Rachel Getting Married and this one: a bunch of great actors giving great performances, but at the service of a ridiculous, pretentious script that never really makes any sense, and offers characters that are so distasteful you keep hoping Jason Vorhees will turn up to bring it to a quick end. That said, the last few minutes are breathtaking.

Really??? I guess 11 Cesar nods don't mean a thing then!

Those Who Love Me Can Take The Train is probably my least favorite film of the 1990s. I absolutely despise that vile piece of misanthropic crap.

LOL

I really have to watch this now!!

Edited By Reza on 1226715269
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I have 143 "10"s on IMDb, although admittedly some of those were just to up a film's average, or because I had a friend involved in the movie.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Eric wrote:Curious to know which ones.
I used to be religious about rating on imdb, but for a while I wasn't so. I just got back into doing it again recently (now that it's so easy- a single click when on the main page for a film).

Turns out I've given out seventeen 10s, all to films I've seen multiple times, and at least once in a good print in a cinema. Each of the films not only seems hardly improvable from a formal/aesthetic standpoint, but also have great sentimental associations for me. There are surely a few titles that meet those criteria but are still missing, from the period during which I wasn't carefully rating everything.

2001: Space Odyssey
Banshun (Late Spring)
the Company
the Conversation
the Far Country
the Kid Brother
Morocco
a Movie
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
Play Time
Règle du jeu, La (the Rules of the Game)
the Searchers
Sud Sanaeha (Blissfully Yours)
Suna no onna (the Woman in the Dunes)
Sunrise: a Song of Two Humans
the Unknown
Vertigo
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reza wrote:
Penelope wrote:Those Who Love Me Can Take the Train (1998; Patrice Chéreau) 6/10

What is with movies like Rachel Getting Married and this one: a bunch of great actors giving great performances, but at the service of a ridiculous, pretentious script that never really makes any sense, and offers characters that are so distasteful you keep hoping Jason Vorhees will turn up to bring it to a quick end. That said, the last few minutes are breathtaking.

Those Who Love Me Can Take The Train is probably my least favorite film of the 1990s. I absolutely despise that vile piece of misanthropic crap.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

rain Bard wrote:I'm extremely stingy with 10's (I think I've used it less than a dozen times out of my thousands of imdb ratings)
Curious to know which ones.

I'm fairly stingy with my 10s too, but I haven't rated on IMDB very often, so most of my ratings are pretty old.

Âge d'or, L' (1930)
3 Women (1977)
The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes (1971)
All That Heaven Allows (1955)
Au hasard Balthazar (1966)
Barry Lyndon (1975)
Blonde Venus (1932)
Campanadas a medianoche (1965)
Chronique d'un été (Paris 1960) (1961)
Duck Amuck (1953)
Europa '51 (1952)
Femme Fatale (2002)
Fond de l'air est rouge, Le (1977)
The Fury (1978)
Gertrud (1964)
Hi, Mom! (1970)
Ivan Groznyy II: Boyarsky zagovor (1958)
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975)
Jetée, La (1962)
The Ladies Man (1961)
Light Is Calling (2004)
Locataire, Le (1976)
Love Streams (1984)
Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)
Marnie (1964)
Play Time (1967)
Règle du jeu, La (1939)
Sans soleil (1983)
Showgirls (1995)
Simón del desierto (1965)
Stromboli (1950)
Ta'm e guilass (1997)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Un chant d'amour (1950)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Big Magilla wrote:But Four Sons, only 9 out of 10, Brian? I give it a full 10, one of two great discoveries for me from the Ford set released around this time last year. The other was Pilgrimage, an atypical Ford film in which the mother, unlike most Ford mothers, is mean and unforgiving for most of the film and I might add, brilliantly played by the under-appreciated Henrietta Crosman.
I was very tempted to give it a full 10, but hesitated because I've only seen it once, on a laptop, and I'm extremely stingy with 10's (I think I've used it less than a dozen times out of my thousands of imdb ratings). I do hope to see Pilgrimage relatively soon.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I've been busy watching some obscure titles for next week's DVD report.

You'll have to read the report to find out which ones and what I think of them, but here's a teaser...two of them are recent treacly Christmas themed films, one is a lovely British-Irish co-production, one an equally lovely Canadian production, one a quirky but charming American independent film and one a rare 1940s film noir made in color, produced by one of its stars and co-directed by two others, one of whom is uncredited.

To weigh in on Those Who Love Me Can Take the Train, I haven't seen it in a while and don't recall much about it but I remember liking it when I saw it.

But Four Sons, only 9 out of 10, Brian? I give it a full 10, one of two great discoveries for me from the Ford set released around this time last year. The other was Pilgrimage, an atypical Ford film in which the mother, unlike most Ford mothers, is mean and unforgiving for most of the film and I might add, brilliantly played by the under-appreciated Henrietta Crosman.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Penelope wrote:Well, if Oscar can get it wrong, then so can César!
You have a valid point.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, if Oscar can get it wrong, then so can César!

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Horton Hears a Who!

8.5/10

I don't know when did i last laugh and cry at the same time while watching a movie.. Hillarious moments!

Return to “Other Film Discussions”