October Predictions

1998 through 2007
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

rudeboy wrote:
mashari wrote:Yeah, has there been ANY Best Supporting Actress candidate in the 2000s that had so much advance buzz?

I guess Renée Zellweger matched her with all-year frontrunner status. I'm looking forward to Dreamgirls and Hudson's performance, but I'm hoping there's more suspense in the race, and that the 'foregone conclusion' buzz is just heresay. I'd like to see Catherine O'Hara's wonderful comic skills finally recognised - she's been taken for granted too long - and a couple of critics awards could be enough.

You're right about Renee. I was her biggest defender here in '03 when some whispers of an Shoreh Agdashloo upset were heard. Still, most of Renee's buzz was out of it being her time as opposed to the quality of her performance. Plus, Renee's one of the most likeable leading ladies in Hollywood. You never really hear anything bad about her and that often helps a lot.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

mashari wrote:Yeah, has there been ANY Best Supporting Actress candidate in the 2000s that had so much advance buzz?
I guess Renée Zellweger matched her with all-year frontrunner status. I'm looking forward to Dreamgirls and Hudson's performance, but I'm hoping there's more suspense in the race, and that the 'foregone conclusion' buzz is just heresay. I'd like to see Catherine O'Hara's wonderful comic skills finally recognised - she's been taken for granted too long - and a couple of critics awards could be enough.
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

Damien wrote:I saw a very rough cut of Dreamgirls several months ago. Hudson is just wonderful, and her performance is the emotional heart and soul of the movie. It's inconceivable to me that she won't be nominated and, at this point anyway, I have a hard time imagining someone else taking Supporting Actress. (I think she's better than Jennifer Holliday -- her performance is more shaded and subtle. And she really nails down the feeling and corrosive pain of "And I Am Telling You," whereas to me Holliday's rendition was grandstanding and all about hitting the high notes.)

Wow, Damien, how bold of you! In some circles, those are fighting words: to dare suggest that J. Hudson could outperform J. Holliday.

Still, I find your words encouraging and can't wait to see how this novice delivers! As someone who clearly remembers the controversy following her dismissal from AI Season 3, this sounds like sweet revenge. (Then again, you must have something going for you when even Elton John is willing to condemn American racism on your behalf.)

I did hear a version of Hudson's powerful rendition of And I am Telling You on someone's blog before the copyright owner rudely discontinued its release. Eversince they've been crazily trying to suppress its surfacing on the Internet as other websites featuring the audio have been threatened with lawsuits. No wonder the trailer finally had to incorporate it!

I think, just on advanced buzz alone, that Hudson has this nomination in the bag.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Yeah, has there been ANY Best Supporting Actress candidate in the 2000s that had so much advance buzz? Nevertheless, if she can't do it I'd love to see Sharon Stone finally redeem herself for the upcoming Bobby, I hear she's excellent as well.

And thanks for having me back, guys. :laugh:
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

mashari wrote:Damien, have you seen an advance screening of Dreamgirls or something? I hear Jennifer Hudson, who's a friend of a friend of mine here in Chicago, steals the show from Beyonce just as Holiday trumped Ralph in the play version.
Yes, welcome back Mashari.

I saw a very rough cut of Dreamgirls several months ago. Hudson is just wonderful, and her performance is the emotional heart and soul of the movie. It's inconceivable to me that she won't be nominated and, at this point anyway, I have a hard time imagining someone else taking Supporting Actress. (I think she's better than Jennifer Holliday -- her performance is more shaded and subtle. And she really nails down the feeling and corrosive pain of "And I Am Telling You," whereas to me Holliday's rendition was grandstanding and all about hitting the high notes.)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Welcome back, mashari.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Anon wrote:Surely, her only hopes will be for Original Song (both nomination and win).
If Knowles does somehow get in, and I doubt that with this year's race being so damn tight, the Original Song win will be her consolation prize(the same with actors being nominated for their perf and screenplay the same year). Not only that, but her 2005 triple-Oscar song run and 36Mafia's recent win all but seals the deal for that category.

Damien, have you seen an advance screening of Dreamgirls or something? I hear Jennifer Hudson, who's a friend of a friend of mine here in Chicago, steals the show from Beyonce just as Holiday trumped Ralph in the play version.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't think Leo's Afrikaner acent will hurt him any more than Meryl's various accents through the years have hurt her.
Um, but even when her performance was a bit too technical or mannered, Meryl's accent/s didn't stink like a bag of dead turtles. I like DiCaprio and I think he can be a wonderful actor at time, but the fact is his accent in this film is horrible. The issue here isn't the fact that he adopts an accent, but rather that he delivers a very poor one.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

mashari wrote:But if that means that Beyonce 'Bootylicious' Knowles automatically gets a Best Actress nomination for Dreamgirls this year...not good. And I'm Black. I know I've defended sexpot-cum-actresses before, but geez.
Don't kncok her til you see her -- she's really good. Not a shoo-in for a Best Actress nomination but a definite (and worthy) possibility. Plus, I can't imagine her not winning the Golden Globe, so if the Oscar balloting is still opened, she'll get some momentum from that.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

mashari wrote:But if that means that Beyonce 'Bootylicious' Knowles automatically gets a Best Actress nomination for Dreamgirls this year...not good. And I'm Black. I know I've defended sexpot-cum-actresses before, but geez.
OK, I'm not even going to entertain that thought. Surely, her only hopes will be for Original Song (both nomination and win).
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Anon wrote:But, if we're going to go there, I do think that the increase in the number of people of color who are now included in the Academy WILL impact future nominations as we start seeing more and more people of color (not just black actors) nominated on a regular basis (I mean, the rap group, 3 6 Mafia, is apart of this elite membership! Think about that!). If this actually means that Spike Lee will one day win an Oscar for an amazing film somewhere down the line (he definitely has the talent to do another Do the Right Thing or something altogether different), that would be worthwhile, I think.

But if that means that Beyonce 'Bootylicious' Knowles automatically gets a Best Actress nomination for Dreamgirls this year...not good. And I'm Black. I know I've defended sexpot-cum-actresses before, but geez.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

criddic3 wrote:Don't know if anyone else read it, but over at some of the other Oscar sites that I occassionally look at it looks like Jack Nicholson is being pushed for supporting (yay!). Don't know if it's official, but it's being reported i think at oscarwatch (i think that's where I saw it...)
Having seen his performance, I don't understand why he was being pushed as a lead for The Departed. His is clearly a supporting role in the film.
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

VanHelsing wrote:Some latest news...

Ryan Phillippe is being pushed for Best LEADING Actor for Flags Of Our Fathers. Reese Witherspoon is definitely not gonna leave this opportunity to vote for her husband.
I wouldn't count on that! Just heard the couple is finally breaking up (seriously, who didn't see this coming?)
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Don't know if anyone else read it, but over at some of the other Oscar sites that I occassionally look at it looks like Jack Nicholson is being pushed for supporting (yay!). Don't know if it's official, but it's being reported i think at oscarwatch (i think that's where I saw it...)

And some sad news for those predicting the image of Reese Witherspoon cheering on husband Ryan Phillippe's Oscar nomination...

Another Hollywood Split
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Some latest news...

Ryan Phillippe is being pushed for Best LEADING Actor for Flags Of Our Fathers. Reese Witherspoon is definitely not gonna leave this opportunity to vote for her husband.

Tom Rosenberg, producer of Million Dollar Baby, is pushing The Dead Girl for awards consideration. Never heard of the film but it does have quite a solid cast.

Letters From Iwo Jima opened the Tokyo Film Festival but didn't win anything. Abigail Breslin won Best Actress for Little Miss Sunshine. Time to maybe pencil her in for Oscar's Supporting Actress.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."

Return to “The 8th Decade”