October Predictions

1998 through 2007
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Good news, though, for Richard Friffiths. Bowing to the rave reviews his performance is receiving, Fox has decided to campaign him for lead instead of support. Smart move sicne only Forest Whitaker and Peter O'Toole seem to be garnering much enthusiasm in that race as yet.
Good to hear that Fox are promoting Griffiths as lead rather then supporting. This is the catergory I'm sure he'll win some critics awards in.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

OscarGuy wrote:I can't believe I keep forgetting Little Children. For some reason, the film never got written in. Every time I think about it, I'm not at a point where I can update anything...Grrr...Little Children should be in picture and director categories and tangentially thus in a writing category.

Saw Little Children and liked it. I agree Kate should be considered a likely Lead Actress nominee. I also agree that this film should be considered potential BP, Director and Adapted Screenplay nominees but I would place it as only an alternate nominee in those categories for right now. Liked it very much, but not blown away by the film overall or the screenplay.

I would also add Jackie Earle Haley to the list of alternate Supporting Actor nominees. Very good and memorable character turn. Amazing job by Jackie. I found myself sympathizing with and rooting for his character even after he quite unexpectedly proved himself to be a real creep who may beyond redemption.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Unfortunately Infamous has opened to a poor per screen average in the few theatres it's in, which doesn't bode well for the chances of either Toby Joens or Sandra Bullock.

Good news, though, for Richard Friffiths. Bowing to the rave reviews his performance is receiving, Fox has decided to campaign him for lead instead of support. Smart move sicne only Forest Whitaker and Peter O'Toole seem to be garnering much enthusiasm in that race as yet.

If Blanchett is clearly supporting in Notes on a Scandal she's in. My hesitancy to include her thus far was based on uncertainty as to which category she belonged in. I still don't think Maggie Gyllenhaal has a prayer of being nominated for WTC and didn't Stragner Than Fiction crash and burn in Toronto?

Supporting actress possibilities include Adriana Barraza and Rinko Kilkuchi in Babel, Vanessa Redgrave in Venus and Angelina Jolie in The Good Shepherd as well as Hudson, de la Tour and Stone, should Bullock's early buzz not hold up.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I can't believe I keep forgetting Little Children. For some reason, the film never got written in. Every time I think about it, I'm not at a point where I can update anything...Grrr...Little Children should be in picture and director categories and tangentially thus in a writing category.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Oscar Guy, I note that your only mention of "Little Children", as a nominee or an alternate, is Kate as a Lead Actress nominee.

You have a bad feeling about this one? I hope not. I am leaving shortly for a screening of it at the 2006 New Orleans Film Festival (Obviously, the 2005 Fest did not take place. This should be a festive evening).

When I get a chance, I will let you guys know what I thought of it in the Official Review Thread. I am looking forward to it.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

OMG!!! OscarGuy, how could you mention my nick on your homepage? I feel so infamous right now! :p

Okie, your supporting actress line up looks better now not cause Bullock is there but the other four seem to be my choices as well. :;): As much as I would like to see Bullock nominated, I just have this "evil" hunch (I HATE IT!) that it's not gonna happen. Also, I simply don't want to include her but to be utterly disappointed in the end. So, I'm leaving her out regardless of all the good reviews she has been getting. In her place, I would pick any of these three:
(1) Cate Blanchett (Notes On A Scandal) - she has 3 Oscar-ish films this Fall and I think her role in this film is her strongest bet for a nomination.
(2) Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine) - voters might be charmed by her cutesy performance in the film and she's a good child actress anyways; definitely less annoying than Dakota Fanning.
(3) Maggie Gyllenhaal (World Trade Center) - like Catherine Keener who actually got a nomination for Capote for her great body of work for the whole of last year, Gyllenhaal is likely to score a nomination for this same reason and WTC will be the chosen film since she is not likely to score a nod for Sherrybaby or Stranger Than Fiction.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So I got to thinking about the race today and decided I couldn't wait until the end of the month to update my predictions. Check them out. I'm sure there are several changes I'll make over the next few weeks but it's a good snapshot of my thoughts right now.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”