October Predictions

1998 through 2007
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

dreaMaker wrote:
Sabin wrote:(dreaMaker, no offense...but shut UP!)

Lovely. Why should i be quiet? ???
Er, Sabin? I know why you said this. But a newcomer like dreaMaker won't, and he'll/she'll take it the wrong way.

Better 'splain yourself.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And I hope you say the same for my website...:P
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

My God, who is this horrendous Lee Hernandez who wrote a Best Supporting Actress year-end review on Oscar Igloo? Ugh. It's filled with horrible, acerebral writing reminiscent of a fifth grade English paper ("I will now clarify who I foresee earning nominations this year"), leaps in logic (Diane Lane is playing a real person, therefore, she MUST be a lock...), and is just an all-around incoherent mess.

She doesn't even have Jennifer Hudson as one of the five nominees.

Makes me appreciate the intelligent, wonderfully illuminative posters on this board.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I honestly think everyone's forgetting the year's biggest and most diverse ensemble.

Bobby won the ensemble award at the Hollywood Awards and it hasn't even hit theaters. Bobby is the perfect Oscar bait film in an era when people are looking to the optimistic time of Bobby Kennedy...It couldd resonate quite well.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

Is it just me, or is this one of those years where there aren't too many good movies coming out? October is almost over, and we have yet to see a successful movie across the board (both in terms of critical acclaim and box office). There is no "event" movie, the way Brokeback Mountain was an "event" movie last year. Maybe we still have to wait until December...

Still, I'm willing to predict this Best Picture line-up:
The Departed
Dreamgirls (potentially an "event" movie)
Flags of Our Fathers (the kind of film to be nominated, regardless of mixed reviews)
Little Miss Sunshine (it's success at the box office makes this the little movie that could)
The Queen

Does anyone think Thank You for Smoking will be remembered in any way?
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i love how the tables have turned. before "the departed" was released everyone (not just people on this board) were quick to dismiss the film, saying it had no hope of being nominated. everyone seemed sure that the battle was going to be between "flags of our fathers" and "dreamgirls." now, a few mixed (but hardly any bad) reviews and an unspectacular (though not dismal) box-office and everyone is shredding clint and the film to pieces like the alpha male lion who is past his prime. all of a sudden people seemed to be acting like they supported "the departed" all along (again, beyond just this board).
just remember, "munich" came out to mixed reviews and was a big disappoinment at the box-office, but i thought it was one of the best films of the year. the academy agreed enough to nominate it for best picture, even if it ultimately was shut out come oscar night.
i know quality of a film is not the foremost thing to think about when making predictions about the choice of the academy, but sometimes i think we put way too much interest in the "politics" of the oscars. yes, expectations not being met can hurt a film more than it actually deserves, but let's not pronounce "flags of our fathers" dead quite yet.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Sabin wrote:(dreaMaker, no offense...but shut UP!)

Lovely. Why should i be quiet? ???
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

OscarGuy-

I'll wait for the film to come out. I just know that after over 100 nights at the theatre, this was the best evening at the theatre I ever had. Until the reviews come out, I'm still banking on it. I guess the safest space for it is Frances de la Tour. I really can't imagine her not getting a nod.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Please tell me why do you admire Stone' WTC?

I think my previous few posts on WTC explain pretty well why I admired the film. Yet I didn't love it as I did, say, Akeelah and the Bee or more relevently, Oliver Stone's own Nixon (my pick in 1995 for best picture).
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Have you not been paying attention to the press, Movielover. It's no longer even certain that History Boys will register. Early reviews say the film version is too stagy and lacks the appeal an actual stage can provide.
Wesley Lovell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

(dreaMaker, no offense...but shut UP!)
"How's the despair?"
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Damien-

I purposely didn't put in Eddie Murphy. I don't think the movie is going to hit big enough for Eddie Murphy to get in there. And this is coming from a New Yorker who is an frequent theatregoer. It'll hit, but not that big - I think. But The History Boys - that one will hit big.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

criddic3 wrote:
Oh, just enough, criddic. You take a movie and champion it to death to the point of overkill. Last year it was Cinderella Man, this year it's WTC. Just stop already. No one here liked it and aside from technical categories, it's not getting any Oscar nominations. Ugh. Move on.

Actually I'm not championing it beyond saying they should give it a chance. I do not see it as a likely best pic candidate, but I do see a chance for Michael Pena or Maggie Gyllenhaal. And your constant condescension is getting old. Many people aside from me felt that Cinderella Man was snubbed of recognition last year. Several critics, as well as audience members, felt that Russell Crowe deserved a nomination. The fact that he received some late-in-the-game nods from other groups was a sign that I was not the only one (as you seem to imply) who "championed" the film. I know there isn't a lot of love on this board for Ron Howard or Russell Crowe, but I was most definitely not singing praises for a lost cause.

As for World Trade Center, I do not love the film but I do admire it. There's a great distinction between the two. It is not the best film of the year, and may not even be among the top five or perhaps ten, depending on forthcoming titles. However, it is a well-made and often affecting effort, certainly Oliver Stone's best in a long time (since his brilliant, superior Nixon in 1995).

I see your point about over-praising a movie that few of you liked, but your disgust seems disingenuous. Why should anyone deprive a movie-lover of his/her opinion on a film in a film forum? Many of you have praised a film or performance through the Oscar season that had little or no chance, if only to voice your hopes that they might make it into the race. While I am not going to waste breath on a movie I do not love, I think I've taken a simple argument on behalf of both World Trade Center and United 93 that they should not be dismissed because of pre-conceived notions about what they should have been versus what they were. It's not as if neither film was received well enough to suggest even the possibility of Oscar consideration.
Please tell me why do you admire Stone' WTC?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Movielover wrote:Boy that supporting actor race is going to be WIDE open if Griffiths and Nicholson don't go in there.
You didn't include Eddie Murphy, who's highly likely. (The showy role won a Tony for Cleavant Derricks.)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Boy that supporting actor race is going to be WIDE open if Griffiths and Nicholson don't go in there. After seeing The Departed yesterday, Jack is gliding safely in there and I saw Griffiths in the History Boys this spring and he is absolutely a candidate. If all these people clear out then I feel like my Michael Caine prediction is becoming more and more sure every day. People I know who have seen the film say he is brilliant, which I don't doubt. I think if the Academy has an opportunity to give Michael Caine a nomination they are only happy to comply. I'm just surprised he isn't popping up on other prediction lists as well.

Return to “The 8th Decade”